Pennsylvania- October 30th, 2004- Range Report

shootingcrew

Ya great time great shoot!

Got to meet a few people, everyone there was new to me. Went to the york gun show then hopped over there so I was a bit late. Met Jamie (Thanks!!) and alot of others. Hope to be at the next one!

Still looking for an MAS 49/56 and a CZ 52 :)

See ya later

Tom

Jamie Young

I have a new question for everyone and I think I'll ask it after every one of these gatherings......

Who's gonna buy a new gun after last Saturday?

Did anyone shoot anything that they didn't own, but it made them want to get it?

Me:
R9
Sig 228
M1 Garand
M1A

Arc Angel

:) Well, in our group, DanV1317 is about to purchase his first FN/FAL. Hoseman bought a new 17HMR pistol the day before the match, almost bought an SMLE on the way home, and has a new Garand on order. As for me, yup; I did it too. I've got a promised, 'museum quality' SKS coming in. It's due, here, on Wednesday. (I'll probably spend the Winter glass-bedding and refinishing this one, too. The first one came out absolutely beautiful!)

One conclusion I came to during this match is that I can't shoot effectively with the standard Russian pin sight. I'm about to order two sets of Williams, 'Firesights' for the SKS from Brownell's. (I must have fired 50 rounds dialing in those crappy Russian sights on Saturday; so it's got 'a be worth the $80.00 bucks!) :eek:

9mmMike

Not me but I really liked that Chinese AK that Marcus was shooting. If I were going to get a commie gun, that is the one I'd consider.
I did start shopping for more .308 Port ammo as soon as I got home though.
I also put the vented hand-guard on the M1A while I had it apart for cleaning.
Next time we shoot I need to sit down with an M1A/M14 guru and go through my rifle. Of all the long-guns in my safe, it is the one about which I know the least.
I will have a Wingmaster for the next shoot but I bought it a couple days prior.
Mike

mikepenn

If I wasn't sick I would've been there. I got some bad news about Water and Wings. They sold the place to a developer and he is going to shut it down. I have no idea when this is going to happen but this might be the end of my long range shooting since I live in Philadelphia and there isn't any other place around :mad:

K80Geoff

I guess we start looking for a new range. Anyone have any suggestions?

Dang it, PA is getting to be like Long Island, and I just moved here to get away from it.

Mike_B

As for a new purchases - yes. After firing P95Carry's BFR it's on my short list. A Rohrbauch is now too.

For the range. I'll ask around. The range I belong to might work - max 200 yards though. Also I have a couple friends in the Bucks County area who have their own private shooting ranges that might be willing to work with us.

Norton

For me it actually complicated what the next purchase will be. I had my heart set on an FAL. While excellent firearms, I also liked the PTR-91 and the M1a that I shot........

Decisions, decisions.....

Bummer about the range...I really like that place :(

9mmMike

A guy here at work said there is a place near Hamburg (Cabela's) that he thinks has sporting clays and a rifle range. He will check and get back.

Jamie Young

I got some bad news about Water and Wings. They sold the place to a developer and he is going to shut it down.

I know its been up for sale for a few years. Who told you it was sold? It doesn't surprise me but I've heard rumors for almost 2yrs now.

The owners haven'y really run the place very well and some of the minor problems seem to turn people off. Not keeping the rifle range posts up is something that is annoying. Its an easy thing to fix but they don't seem to want to do it. Not having an RO was something else that bugged me. Safety was a problem until I chewed out the owners and some other people and then Ray Reno and a few others started volunteering to RO. All ya gotta do is speak up but most people don't.

It was for sale for $990,000.

mikepenn

I don't want to get anyone in trouble, buts it's two regulars that don't know each other. If it happens soon I'm really going to be pissed I'm just finishing my $3000 SPR AR and I didn't put together AIC's bolt gun to shoot at 100yds somewhere.

Jamie Young

I've heard so many rumors in the last few years that I don't pay much attention. I do know that the owners were pissed by the fact that the majority of the members didn't help them out when the township was trying to shut them down. That's about the time I started getting involved in trying to bring in more members.

That's also the reason I chose to shut the range down this time. Some of the members were pretty hostile the last time we held a gathering there because "they wanted to shoot" but didn't want to let the new people come in.

I've heard some people say they've seen these gatherings on this board, and others, and decided to go out to W&W just to check it. I wonder how many people started using W&W more regualarly since the internet board gatherings.

I prefer to shoot with "happy people" instead of miserable grumps even if the grumps are long time members. Unfortunately the club has some pretty egotistical people there.

I emailed the owners just now.

We'll find out the truth soon.

mikepenn

Thanks for the help Jamie. I don't get some of the people there? They complain that it's $20 to shoot all day and then leave the place a mess. I shoot on Sunday's with Ray(range officer). We clean up shells,old targets and help people out. If this place closes some of us are screwed.

Jamie Young

$20 to shoot all day at a place like that is cheap. The owners are sitting on a potential gold mine but they don't know it. If I ran that place it would be a shooters dream land.

If that place closes I'm going to buy land somewhere in PA and only my friends will be allowed to go there.

YOU'RE ALL INVITED!! :D

Hopefully it won't close but we'll find other places.

DanV1317

That place was a mess i thought. Seemed like it could have been a really nice place but they really didn't take THAT good care of it. Then when the lady told me 300$ a year to join, i almost dropped a log in my pants. Realllly nice places up near my house or tannersville are only like 65$ a year and they have like 3 rifle ranges and all these cool pistol ranges along with a really nice area for trap and stuff. Although that place did have cool golf carts! never seen that before......except at a golf course!

Arc Angel

A guy here at work said there is a place near Hamburg (Cabela's) that he thinks has sporting clays and a rifle range. He will check and get back.

:rolleyes: And that would have to be,

http://www.wingpt.com/

I prefer to shoot with "happy people" instead of miserable grumps even if the grumps are long time members. Unfortunately the club has some pretty egotistical people there.

Indeed! You should always try to share the range with other, 'happy shooters'. :D

Jamie Young

Anyone for a celebration shoot this month?

I doubt we can close the range down again but we can all hang out and do some blasting. I'm also in the process of mounting a flag stand outside my house and I need to shoot up a UN flag and hang it next to my 48 Star American flag.

Do you guys want to shoot up a UN Flag with me? :D

Jody Hudson

Keep us posted Jamie.

Just please start a new thread and link it from a last post here so we all get onto the next thread!

And, re the UN rag, sure! :barf: