New Army Handgun: We're Really Doing This

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dashunde

^Sad but true... probably.
I wonder how that could be applied to Beretta being shown the door and not invited back?

There is no evidence, and will never be any evidence, that one moderate power pistol cartridge is more effective than another.

I'm not keen on the all-descriptive "moderate" being applied to the very wide range of energy and velocities available for popular pistol ammo. Of course they're all moderate compared to a 223 or 308, but not when comparing a 9mm NATO to the Underwood 357Sig, for example.
25% more velocity and 33% more energy is useful in a wide range of scenarios.

While I suspect your referring to standard 9mm, 40 and 45, I have little doubt that 357mag, 357Sig and 10mm have more to offer. Particularly when penetrating barrier materials; helmets, jackets, etc.

The real question is whether or not any of it is worth the 350mil price tag.

AustinTX

What is the need to replace the m9? it has a proven track record. Prehaps the problem is, the shooter, the cheap magazines and the old/abused guns. Upgrade/replace train and buy better magazines..

Bingo.

Since pistols really are inconsequential, we should do what we did with Beretta, and pick a maker who will benefit us politically.

This was never anything more than silly post hoc conspiracy theorizing by people unhappy with a foreign pistol being selected.

I can tell you right now that we cant afford to make this happen. I am currently on Active Duty(18yrs and counting) and we are broker than broke. We are going back to pre-war times where every penny spent is micro managed. I struggle on a daily basis to order common repair parts to keep our fleet maintained. And personally, besides the current M9s being worn out, nothing wrong with the M9. Only thing I can think of is size or weight for those few troops who carry them regularly on top of the other tons of kit they carry.

Agreed. It's an absurd waste of money.

As to moving from the 9 mm to another caliber, I see a problem with that also because of NATO. I think you will start seeing pistols that use 9 mm +P ammunition. Heavier recoil springs and slightly thicker barrels that can use 9 MM NATO ammo or 9 mm USA ammo (+P).

The M9/92 platform already handles +P just fine. And a hotter 9mm FMJ round isn't going to address any problem with regard to stopping power.

We should have gone with the Sig 226...has anyone mentioned this yet?

No, no one else mentioned it -- perhaps because it amounts to the silliest statement on the entire thread.

Sweet Shooter

We should have gone with the Sig 226...has anyone mentioned this yet?
No, no one else mentioned it -- perhaps because it amounts to the silliest statement on the entire thread.
You're being flip. There is only one thing keeping the 226 out of the hands of Army. The continued cost. There is nothing silly about it, and frankly piece for piece it out shoots anything else on the table.
-SS-

chrisp51

This discussion could be endless but no one has mentioned the .22 tcm. 2000 fps + from a 5 inch barrel. It's basically a. 223 short with the same length as a 38 super. If you miss with the bullet the flame will still get them! No recoil so the lady's in the services (not that there is anything wrong with that) can easily control them. Hey we did it when we went to the 5.56.

Kosh75287

Nothing wrong with the M9, the problem is with the shooter.

THIS statement caught my eye, and this is not an argument, it is an inquiry:

It was MY understanding that shooting the M9s with the hottest 9x19 NATO ammo resulted in cracked frames, and the 9x19 was subsequently loaded down slightly to alleviate the problem, which resulted in a noticeable increase in stoppage failures. Does this ring any bells with what others have heard, read, observed, intuited, divined, dreamed or been told?

AustinTX

You're being flip. There is only one thing keeping the 226 out of the hands of Army. The continued cost. There is nothing silly about it, and frankly piece for piece it out shoots anything else on the table.

No, the previous statement and this one are in fact complete, unadulterated nonsense. You're just talking like a fanboy.

The P226 doesn't solve any problem, real or imagined. No one complains about the M9 when it's properly maintained -- unless they're complaining about the caliber and the weight, which are problems that the P226 does not solve. In the end, they're both aluminum-framed pistols, and the Beretta is every bit as good of a gun. In fact, there are several highly-regarded gunsmiths and shooters who say that the Beretta is the better gun today, given Exeter/Newington's direction under Cohen (corner-cutting in the interals, such as the sourcing of low-quality MIM from the likes of Indo-MIM, etc., while jacking up prices -- Cohen's Kimber playbook).

When a P226 is fired with a recoil spring salvaged from a gun destroyed in combat and that should have been thrown away 10,000 rounds ago, it too will have problems. If DoD buys garbage magazines from Triple K and Checkmate instead of factory mags, the P226 too will have reliability issues. If long-term durability under shoddy maintenance regimens is an issue, switching to another aluminum-framed gun would be completely idiotic.

AustinTX

It was MY understanding that shooting the M9s with the hottest 9x19 NATO ammo resulted in cracked frames, and the 9x19 was subsequently loaded down slightly to alleviate the problem, which resulted in a noticeable increase in stoppage failures. Does this ring any bells with what others have heard, read, observed, intuited, divined, dreamed or been told?

No, this is not the case.

Sweet Shooter

AustinTX
No, the previous statement and this one are in fact complete, unadulterated nonsense. You're just talking like a fanboy.

The P226 doesn't solve any problem, real or imagined. No one complains about the M9 when it's properly maintained -- unless they're complaining about the caliber and the weight, which are problems that the P226 does not solve. In the end, they're both aluminum-framed pistols, and the Beretta is every bit as good of a gun. In fact, there are several highly-regarded gunsmiths and shooters who say that the Beretta is the better gun today, given Exeter/Newington's direction under Cohen (corner-cutting in the interals, such as the sourcing of low-quality MIM from the likes of Indo-MIM, etc., while jacking up prices -- Cohen's Kimber playbook).

When a P226 is fired with a recoil spring salvaged from a gun destroyed in combat and that should have been thrown away 10,000 rounds ago, it too will have problems. If DoD buys garbage magazines from Triple K and Checkmate instead of factory mags, the P226 too will have reliability issues. If long-term durability under shoddy maintenance regimens is an issue, switching to another aluminum-framed gun would be completely idiotic.

No "fanboy" here, I personally don't think moving away from the M9 is needed. But I do believe that the 226 is the better gun. I have and like both. And it was then as it is today money (and politics) that kept the 226 out of the Army's hands.
-SS-

barnbwt

"And personally, besides the current M9s being worn out, nothing wrong with the M9."
Maybe we should focus on that which wears out these guns so quickly. They are hardly ever used in training, let alone combat, after all. Too much cleaning?

TCB

Sweet Shooter

The M9 is supplied with a plastic brush and is HCL. The bore cleans up in minutes, even seconds. What are Army cleaning requirements that would hurt the gun?
-SS-

TunnelRat

No "fanboy" here, I personally don't think moving away from the M9 is needed. But I do believe that the 226 is the better gun. I have and like both. And it was then as it is today money (and politics) that kept the 226 out of the Army's hands.
-SS-
FWIW the SIG P226 actually failed the dried mud test part of the trial. The DoD later decided the test wasnt necessary and decided to exclude the results in order to have two competitors at the end.

marine6680

All this talking about the 226 has me thinking...

I like the Sig... The Beretta isn't bad either, though I am not a fan of the safety.

Thing is, many complain about the open slide of the M9.

So I was wondering...

What would happen it you redesigned the slide to be closed? It would add a little weight and the recoil spring would need to be a little softer to compensate... But could it be a better pistol for it?

Just a hypothetical that popped into my head just now.

Sweet Shooter

TunnelRat
FWIW the SIG P226 actually failed the dried mud test part of the trial. The DoD later decided the test wasnt necessary and decided to exclude the results in order to have two competitors at the end.
It's not what the thread is about and I'm not on the side that says the Army needs a new gun. But FWIW In the 1984 reliability testing, the Sig P226 suffered 12 stoppages, only 1 that required an armorer. The Beretta had 20 stoppages, with 9 of them requiring an armorer. The Sig was also cheaper until Beretta dropped their price by 20 percent at the end of the tests. All guns fail sometimes. Some M9s stop in dried mud too. I still say the 226 is the better gun.

-SS-

TunnelRat

It's not what the thread is about

But you did bring up the P226.

All guns fail sometimes. Some M9s stop in dried mud too.

But they didn't fail that part of the test as the SIG did, or at least not meet the criterion for a pass. Just like I won't sidestep your comment about the stoppages, you can't just toss out the results of that test with the above comment. Personal preference shouldn't blind us to facts.

I still say the 226 is the better gun.

I like the P226 more so than the M9. I don't think it's head and shoulders above the M9 though. The one advantage I do give it is the lack of a safety, which Beretta has offered to remedy in the M9-A3.

Cyanide971

Take it for what it's worth guys, but I'm sharing this article with you all. I don't agree 100 percent with the author, who is a very good personal friend, but looking at it objectively without brand loyalty, I cannot say that I don't agree with the majority of his article.

http://www.gruntworks11b.com/blogs/gruntlife-magazine/16507048-in-defense-of-the-m9

My personal experience with the M9 was excellent, and the two years that I carried it saw it shot extensively with no issues. Not saying it is perfect but then again, nothing is. For the job I was assigned and for what I was tasked to do, I had complete and utter faith in my M9 backing up my Mossberg should I have needed to transition.

For the record it's not my first choice but it's what I was issued, and I abused the heck out of it, just as I would any other issue pistol regardless of brand.

Sweet Shooter

TunnelRat
But you did bring up the P226.
Not me dude.
Restults are results. Not trying to toss anything out, trying to include some facts such as these: Beretta—20 stoppages 9 serious. Sig—12 stoppages only 1 serious.

Not really sure why you want to argue about that.

I think my tax dollar could be better spent than even addressing the sidearm issue, which is actually a non-issue.

But the Sig is a better gun IMO.

TunnelRat

Not me dude.
Restults are results. Not trying to toss anything out, trying to include some facts such as these: Beretta—20 stoppages 9 serious. Sig—12 stoppages only 1 serious.

Not really sure why you want to argue about that.

I think my tax dollar could be better spent than even addressing the sidearm issue, which is actually a non-issue.

But the Sig is a better gun IMO.
Ah I stand corrected you didn't bring it up you commented on it.

I had no idea I was arguing anything...

As for more important issues I already agreed earlier in the thread.

AustinTX

But I do believe that the 226 is the better gun.

That's fine. Several respected firearms experts would agree with you. Several would not.

My point is simply that arguing that selecting the P226 would have remedied any real problem is silly. We'd get the same stories of people complaining about their sorry, unreliable 30-year-old Sig M9 running a garbage Triple K/Checkmate mag and a recoil spring that should have been changed 10,000 rounds ago, and how the performance of that pistol means that the Sig M9 sucks in general. In fact, given an equivalent maintenance environment, there's no doubt that we would have seen widespread problems with roll-pin fatigue leading to cracked slides on the old stamped-slide Sigs, which of course had a separate breech block pinned to the slide rather than milled into the slide (and which has occurred on poorly-maintained M11s).

But FWIW In the 1984 reliability testing, the Sig P226 suffered 12 stoppages, only 1 that required an armorer. The Beretta had 20 stoppages, with 9 of them requiring an armorer.

Yes, and almost 30% of the P226 test pistols cracked their frames before reaching 7,000 rounds whereas none of the Beretta test pistols did. Also, two-thirds of all the malfunctions with the 92SB-F test pistols came from just two guns.

And just a couple of years later, Army-supervised testing of the M9 at the Beretta USA plant resulted in reliability figures that were a 1000% improvement over the results from the XM9 trial pistols. And so on and so forth.

This leads me to two points:

(1) We can throw specific data points back and forth, but it should be obvious to anyone with a basic understanding of statistics what a joke the testing was in the first place as a basis for trying to draw precise conclusions on reliability and durability. There's a very large degree of statistical uncertainty with a sample size as small as the one used in the XM9 trials. Further uncertainty results from drawing these small samples from single production lots, and also from the very nature of some of the tests themselves. Whether the specific data point is "pro-Beretta" or "pro-Sig," there's isn't a statistically sound basis for thinking it definitively says anything as between the two pistols. (It's a bit different, of course, when the differences are enormous, as with the P7M13, which was a full order of magnitude less reliable in the testing than either the 92SB-F or P226.) So it was a poorly-constructed "experiment" in the first place for the kind of granular data the Army wished to extract from it.

(2) Even if the data supported precise conclusions at that time, which it did not, that data would have no relevance for discussions of today's 92 and P226. The guns are very, very different from their predecessors -- mostly in ways that you can't see with the naked eye, thanks both to continuous small design improvements and to advances in mass-production manufacturing technology since that time (well, design improvements until 2004 in the case of Sig, which has since been headed in the opposite direction under Cohen's Kimber playbook). See the above-referenced instance of the Beretta's reliability figures jumping ten-fold in just a couple of years, for one example, and the fact that these aluminum-framed guns aren't cracking their frames at low round counts anymore for another. The most recent government-supervised testing of the M9 resulted in a figure of 22,500 mean rounds between stoppages for the current-production Beretta 92/M9; I've yet to see results from government testing, U.S. or otherwise, of any other gun that approaches this reliability figure.

The Sig was also cheaper until Beretta dropped their price by 20 percent at the end of the tests.

This statement does not by itself constitute an argument. Of course Beretta lowered its bid -- Beretta's pistols were 25% more expensive than Sig's in the first round of bidding. They were willing to sell the pistols at cost as of the time of the final bidding (prior to the existence of a stateside plant). There's nothing damning or dispositive about any of that.

it was then as it is today money (and politics) that kept the 226 out of the Army's hands.

The difference between the final bid figures does not account entirely for the victory margin of the Beretta in the scoring.

Furthermore, when you make the wholly unsupported claim that the only reason the military doesn't today switch to another big, heavy, aluminum-framed 9mm DA/SA pistol is the Sig's cost, you assume that today's production costs are higher for Sig than Beretta. That's definitely not something you can conclude on the basis of retail prices. (Remember, the P290's original MSRP was a ludicrous $758. I don't remember the P250's initial MSRP, but it was something similarly absurd. After being judged relative flops, the P290 can be had for less than $300 retail, and the P250 for ~$375, with Sig still making a profit.)

In fact, given Beretta's use of more expensive 4340 carbon steel for the 92's slide and 8640 carbon steel for its barrel -- both grades being harder and tougher, and thus more difficult and expensive to machine, than either the 4140 carbon steel or the stainless steel alloys used by almost everyone else -- the opposite may very well be true.

The politics allegations are nothing but pure speculation and Sauer grapes. As TunnelRat has mentioned, the only reason that 92SB-F wasn't the sole finalist was because the Army retroactively changed the testing rules and disregarded the P226's results in part of the mud testing. It's funny how that's never mentioned when people throw around silly conspiracy theories -- from diplomatic intrigue to leaked bids -- about how the Army and/or government conspired to have the Beretta declared the winner. If that were so, they could have uncontroversially (or, rather, much less controversially) annointed Beretta the winner then and there.

Last edited:

AustinTX

Maybe we should focus on that which wears out these guns so quickly. They are hardly ever used in training, let alone combat, after all. Too much cleaning?

They don't wear out quickly. Their are many thousands of M9s in service that are 30 years old and that have seen 30,000+ rounds in a mostly poor maintenance environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.