Name one thing you learned at your last match...

Igloodude

And for bullseye 30-rd league matches...

A wonderful slowfire score, an even better timed fire score, and five 10's in rapid don't matter at all when shooting the final rapid string. Shoot the last five rounds just like the first five, because every time you think about your final score you can deduct a few points off it.

A Zen-ish attitude is pretty good for Bullseye shooting, but for me a lobotomy would be simpler and probably more effective...

TechPyle

Slow way down when shooting a limited stage that involves leaning way around a baracade, with targets that have black hard cover painted on half of them. Hitting the target in the black does not make for a good time no matter how fast you shoot the stage.

Jeff22

(1.) Go slow enough to get your hits! Regardless of the format of the match or the scoring system used or if it's IPSC or IDPA, ONLY HITS COUNT!

(2.) Use factory ammo! (I learned this a long time ago) Unless you are very careful in your reloading and taper crimp all your rounds, you're probably better off to buy a couple of boxes of fairly hot factory ammo to shoot competitively and save the reloads for practice. (I always liked military-spec in .45 and 9mm. I haven't had my .40 long enough to settle on a "favorite" generic factory load)

(3.) Function test your equipment.

(4.) Clean your gun and lube it before the match.

(5.) Replace your magazine springs every three years or so.

otasan

What I Learned

1. I learned that I can hit the sweet spot on bowling pins at 50 feet about 95% of the time.

2. It takes me roughly twice as long to clear five pins off a table at 50 feet as it does at 25 feet (6 seconds vice 3 seconds)

3. I learned that unwarranted shooter-envy poisons a shooting match.

4. I learned that I should find out in advance before I drive 100 miles to a pin shoot if there are going to be club-sanctioned penalties for shooting well.

xmastree

Regardless of the format of the match or the scoring system used or if it's IPSC or IDPA, ONLY HITS COUNT!
Well, that's true but during a recent IPSC comp, I was comparing my scores with ahother in the same class. He had faster times but more misses, and finished higher than me...

MX5

When I first started IPSC (crossing over from precision sports) I learned I needed to speed up. About the time I got deep into B class and was shooting fast as heck, but sending too many rounds South, I realized I had to slow down. Now I know thinking in terms of time is a recipie for diaster. See what you need to see to make and call the shot, nothing more, nothing less. The time will be what it will be.

30Cal

Highpower:
1. Never accept a poor shot. Spending too long getting the shot off is a sure recipe for a poor shot
2. You have all the time in the world at 600yds. There's usually time to hold off for a bit when the wind gets flakey.
3. I can shoot a lot better than I give myself credit for. Don't set point oriented goals. Aim for 10's and X's

I had a good last match! In spite of my Expert card, I shot a 483-10X and took home 10 Leg points with a silver place medal!

Ty

Old Shooter

I finally learned that I need a bigger front sight and new shooting glasses. It's tough growing old.

I just bough an XS systems with the "big dot" front sight for my S&W 1911 - OH ... and a mag well.

J.D.B.

Caz223, are you shooting at Top Gun? I learned a few important things: There is NO substitute for trigger control, 1911 45's are very tough to beat in bowling pins, and When I miss a match, I MISS it in my soul :p .
Josh
(Loving my new-to-me Commander!)

SVDEP140

USPSA style match:

Skill and practice can count more than having high $$$ gear, example: the gun I normaly use is a SV Infinity SWAT in .40 s&w with a Safariland speed rig. I had a problem that prevented me from using it, so I had to use my Glock 22 with my duty gear, since it was the only holster I had for it. My buddies where ribbing me saying that they had me at a disadvantage. It turns out that I shot very well and ended up beating both of them. I think that if you focus on the fundamentals, that the equipment doesn't make a lot of difference as long as it functions.
I also learned that its entertaining to watch the base plate fall off a magazine
while its being seated in the gun, with the spring flying one way, the follower going another and all the rounds cascading to the ground. I also learned that this is not as entertaining for the one who is holding the paticular gun at the time.(laugh, we've all had something similar happen to all of us!)

HKGuns

Be very careful to avoid pressing the P7 slide retainer button when racking a round into the chamber while preparing to shoot. I did this at a match two weekends ago, upon releasing the slide to chamber the round the slide flew off the pistol and hit the target about 5' in front of me.

Needless to say I got a good laugh from everyone. The SO didn't know what to do.

Tim R

Fer High Power....don't count yourself out even when better shooters are there. Even they have bad days. ;)

But I've got to tell you the WOP upper I have sure shoots!

hube1236

Shooting USPSA

There are just as many uspsa shooters that do not like the rules of their game as there are those in IDPA. USPSA does not have the Bill Wilson factor though.

USPSA is fun to shoot, but a pain to reset the stations.

OF

At my last match? I learned that Simonich Gunner Grips will hold a busted plunger tube in place just fine for a full 6-stage USPSA match and an IPDA classifier. :D

I also learned that I need to learn how to make hits at 40 yards...

Gewehr98

For 800-yard BPCR buffalo silhouette shoots (Quigley Match)

It takes my 450gr .45-70 bullet just over 2.5 seconds to connect with the steel buffalo once it leaves the muzzle. Sometimes the charcoal smoke clears in that time, sometimes it doesn't.

The bullet trajectory, when zeroed for that range, climbs over 300 inches (25 feet!) above the horizontal before it arcs back down towards the target.

And my spotter can tell me before the "clang" whether it's gonna be a hit or miss.

When he yells "hit" it still takes time for the "clang" to get back to my ears.

That's kinda neat. :D