Name one thing you learned at your last match...

byerly

From my last match in N. Wilkesboro, NC:

1. Figure out what you're going to do, clear your mind, and step up to the line.

2. If you want to win the match, you can have NO errors. This is the thing that seems to seperate the top shooters where I'm at. Fewest mistakes wins. The margin between 1st and 2nd was 0.17. This with a total time of over 70 seconds!

3. Encourage others and have a good time. We've all had meltdowns before and will in the future. Support others.

I learned that while your gear can't win the match for you, having your stuff well-sorted can give you the confidence to concentrate on your shooting, instead of whether you'll have enough mags or if your holster will work.

Orgnization!

Larry

Trisha

(((sigh)))

I have no consistency shooting while transitioning from cover to cover... especially after 4 cups of coffee on an empty stomach!

(wryly)

Am planning on shooting my next match in heels and a business suit with a knee-length skirt iof there isn't too much snow.

Navy joe

Just because the ground is frozen when you set the steel up don't mean it will be later. 3 inches of mud is your friend, especially in run and gun.

Just because you dreamed up a stage doesn't mean you'll do any better when you shoot it. I managed to out-smart myself on that one, lots of white pasters needed.

atek3

I shot my first Highpower match in months last saturday. Humbling is the word I'm looking for.
What did I learn:
1) Just because your first 8 offhand shots are 10's and 9's , doesn't mean you aren't going to get fatigued, miss, then spend the last 11 shots getting 6's,7's,and 8's.
2) If your ankle is injured, verify that you can adopt your sitting position before the match, rather than scrambling to adopt a different less familiar position. (oh and after your only sighter due to time contraints, a 4 o'clock 8, make sight corrections, or else you will shoot a great group...centered around 4 o' clock in the 8 ring.
3) In slow prone, even if you totally blew the first 3 stages, if you pull it together, and only shoot when your sight picture is perfect, you can shoot your highest score ever (98-2x's) Woo Hoo.

In IPSC
Don't use Miwall reloads when it counts. Or else Mr. Fat Round will get stuck in your chamber :(

atek3

W Turner

Slow down

Practice more

Don't mix 10mm with .45acp in your range bag (NOTE- a round of 10mm Blazer WILL feed and fire in a RIA 1911), this was embarassing and a cardinal safet violation, RO could/should have DQ'd me

Practice more

Buy a timer and practice with it

Practice more

Have a beavertail installed on my 1911, bloody hands don't help an already bad day

The safest place to stand when I am shooting is right in front of me

Practice more

Oh, yeah almost forgot...........PRACTICE MORE!

W

fyrestarter

Letting all 23 rounds from a super-hi-cap 9mm fly at steel in under 6 seconds during a Comstock course is legal, but gets some odd looks from your fellow competitors. (It was a new mag -- it couldn't be helped)

Revolver shooters have severe brain damage, but are damn fast.

Glocks only stovepipe during Classifier courses.

Misfires only occur just after you say to yourself, "I have enough rounds in my current mag to get through the second string."

Those who can shoot, shoot Limited.
Those who can't, shoot Open.
Those who can't shoot Open, shoot Cowboy.

xmastree

I shoot better with my Colt .45 Gold Cup than I do with my STI/Caspian Super.38 laser sighted, ported and compensated race gun.

Humph! :(

8ring

For USPSA:

Preparation: Sight in on steel plates during practice. Get the sight picture you want, remember it, and use the same sight picture in the match.

Always call the second shot on paper targets before going to the next target. Avoids infuriating mikes.

See what you need to see to make the shot, let the gun go off, call the shot as it goes off.

For revolver:

1. A solid grip and index is better than a fast draw.

2. Get on the same squad with other revolver shooters; misery loves company.

3. Don't think about the trigger.

xmastree

If
A) you're having a man v man at the end of the competition.
And:
B) You see your buddy struggling to pull a mag out from his leather pouch.
And:
C) You have a spare pouch, much better quality, which actually belongs to the aforementioned buddy.

Don't give it back to him, you might end up losing to him in the final by a really small margin which may well have been the other way round had you not given him the pouch... :eek:

flycaster

Two things learned:

1. Controlling the trigger is at least as important as getting the sights on target. Just ask Rob Leatham.
2. Bring a terrycloth towel- ain't nothing like dry hands on a handgun when the competition gets hot.

Chuck