NAA 22's and Magnums

noelf2

I shoot Hornady Critical Defense .22mag in my 1 1/8 NAA mini. Haven't checked with a chrono but supposed to use pistol powder vs. rifle powder so you get more powder burning in the smaller barrels. Ups velocity, and the bullet is supposed to expand very well from 2" barrels. Not sure about the smaller barrels like mine, but it has to be better than average .22 mag rifle ammo. Cases are nickel, so you can leave them in the cylinder day after day and less likely to corrode in there. I have no trouble thumbing the hammer on mine with the standard wood grips, but I've practiced. Great back up gun.

coyota1

I should get some critical defense stuff. It must be fairly new since I'm not aware of it. I would guess the bullets perform better than regular rifle ammo. And yes, you need to practice with one of these guns, and even more so than a conventional handgun. I wear xl gloves, and I have no trouble handling the mini mag. There is no substitute for practice.

Crazy88Fingers

The Hornady stuff is fairly new. Winchester and Speer are also making short barrel .22 mag ammo for self-defense.

In response to the P-32 comparison earlier: I actually traded a P-32 for the NAA I have now. :D

For some reason I just couldn't work the slide on that thing without covering the ejection port. So unloading the gun was an interesting process, to say the least. Fuggetabout clearing a jam. Cocking the hammer on this little revolver is much easier for me.

Dashunde

I really like that I can carry this little NNA-22lr around in any pocket with the hammer dropped into the in-between notch with zero worries.

I dont know of any tiny hammered poly auto that I can do that with.

Onward Allusion

Crazy88Fingers
<SNIP>In response to the P-32 comparison earlier: I actually traded a P-32 for the NAA I have now.

Hey, if it works, I don't think anyone is gonna knock it. The P-32's slide is a bit difficult to rack, especially when new. I have 3M Traction tape on some of my harder to rack pistols. Ugly but it works!

Onward Allusion

The discussion was about NAA Mini in 22 Mag. The 1 5/8" barrel version weighs 6.2 oz empty. The P-32 weighs 6.6 oz unloaded. P-32 loaded is about 9.4 oz. The NAA Mini in 22 Mag with 1 5/8" barrel, about 7.2 oz loaded.

coyota1

I trust my mini MAG more than I trust small autoloaders. With autoloaders, a loose grip could result in the gun to not cycle properly.

royal barnes

I've owned a NAA .22 mag mini for at least thirty years. It was my backup gun to my duty handgun for a lot of that time. I will carry it now as my "yardwork" gun but would not venture out in public with it being my only firearm. I still carry it as a BUG to something larger when I am out and about.:)

NO-BODY

Revival time, Are these good guns? Such as will it fire with reliable confidence? Really like the idea of a gun the size of a pocket knife. 4.5 oz. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO-BODY

Great advice so far. Anybody have anything else to add, I am leanin that way. 22lr cause a millon rounds are like a dollar.

coyota1

The 22 LR is hard to shoot do to the small size. The mag handles world's easier. With either of these guns you need to really practice to master.

Mystro

I always carry my NAA 22lr with yellow jacket Hyper velocity. It has put down more car/deer hits and final mercy hunting shots than I can count. Built like a Swiss watch.

twobit

They are good, well made guns!

Order them with the folding grip! Makes them both easier to shoot and too carry.

Get the .22mag with the shortest barrel (two barrel lengths are available). Drop it in a pocket. It is an "ALL THE TIME" gun regardless of what clothes you have on, as long as you at least have shorts on :eek: Don't make them what they are not.. they are a "get off me gun" and are excellent BUG's. They are not primary concealed carry guns.

If you are a law enforcement officer, contact the factory direct (they have a website - North American Arms-) They have a LEO price and will sell direct to officers. Best of all they will ship to your department address (with the proper letter from your supervisor) and you avoid the fee you have to pay to ship to an FFL. Save that $35 FFL fee and get about $20 off the price also.

You can also order one with two cylinders (22LR & 22mag) so you can practice with the cheaper LR ammo. If you order just a cylinder later they want you to send them the gun back so the cylinder can be timed. Added cost.

west5757

I just bought a .22 mag with the 1 1/8" barrel this week. I shot it the next day and I'll have to say that I was surprised at how well I could shoot it after I figured out how to aim it. I have to sight down the barrel and not use the front sight. I may end up filing it down.

I did order a set of the Chang grips for it though. The factory ones are just too small for me to keep the control that I want. It is very nice to have a BUG in my pocket though.