My 686 Pro has a "feature"!!

laytonj1

Just curious, but how does one buy a new gun, get an action job done on it and shoot it before they notice something that obvious?

Jim

jimbob86

Some folks would not know any better, Jim.

Err'body who owns gun is not a gunny, same as everybody who owns a guitar is not a musician. And in this case, somebody who suddenly gets the urge to make some noise with an instrument like that could be in for some ...... interesting......... side effects.

Maybe "everybody with a fire extinguisher is not a fireman" would have been a better analogy .....

johnbt

Oh great, first they tell me I have to clean a new gun before I shoot it and now I have to inspect it too? So much for the old ways. Don't people still stop on the way home from the gun store and shoot a couple of rounds into a riverbank or empty field? I guess not.

You can't see the problem while looking over the sights from the rear.

Japle

Just curious, but how does one buy a new gun, get an action job done on it and shoot it before they notice something that obvious?

Because it's not all that obvious. It sure isn't something you'd look for. You only notice it if you look at the front of the cylinder or look closely at the side of the cylinder as you cycle the action.

Cylinderrear.jpg

The photos have been posted on 12 different forums that I know of. You'd be suprised at how many people don't see the problem even when they're told there's something wrong.

Salmoneye

I was surfing learning about 686's when I saw this post the other day...

I only signed up here to keep an eye on this thread, and encourage the OP to keep us informed...

Walklightly

Jim

S&W knows way more about guns than you will ever dream of, and they missed it!

You have powers of observations that people don't have power of observations. I'm curious why your curious?

Last edited:
Kind of off topic, but the first thing i noticed was the machining marks... My little Rossi has less, and less obvious machining marks. Is that normal? I would think that for the money, S&W would be made to a higher standard.

checkmyswag

I think they will replace the cylinder or replace the gun and be happy you noticed it and didn't have a KABOOM resulting in injuries that later brought a high dollar lawsuit as they made an unsafe gun.

jad0110

Quote:
Because it's not all that obvious. It sure isn't something you'd look for. You only notice it if you look at the front of the cylinder or look closely at the side of the cylinder as you cycle the action.

I agree with Japle. This simply isn't something most of us think to check, simply because it seems so obvious.

laytonj1

S&W know way more about gun than you ill ever dream of, and they missed it!
They handle thousands of guns a day, they all look the same to them...

You have powers of observations that people don't have power of observations. I'm curious why your curious?

Don't you thoroughly inspect a gun before you buy it? Or least clean and check it out after you get it home? Especially one you're paying $1K+ for?

My Ed Brown 1911 is my most expensive handgun. After spending 20 minutes examining it at the dealer I brought it home and tore it down for a cleaning and thorough inspection. I wanted to see what $2500 looked like inside.
But, I do that with all my guns.

I've even disassembled used guns (when the dealer/seller allowed it) before I bought it.
Maybe I'm just less trusting.

I'll admit, that's not the kind of problem you would expect to see and I'm not trying to insult the OP. Obviously, that's something he didn't notice, as well as a few others after he posted the picture...

Anyway, it will need to go back to S&W for a new cylinder. Maybe he can convince them to let him keep the cylinder as it would make a great conversation piece.

Jim

Last edited:

Walklightly

Don't you thoroughly inspect a gun before you buy it? Or least clean and check it out after you get it home? Especially one you're paying $1K+ for?

Hard to inspect them when I buy them new from out of state over the phone or order online. I bought two $1k+ S&Ws that way.

One of my $1700 S&W PC N-frame (cost really $1200), I took it straight to the range, put a wet patch, than a dry patch through the barrel. Took a few minute's to show it off to everybody, made a quick check, and shot away.

Maybe he can convince them to let him keep the cylinder as it would make a great conversation piece.

I'd almost be willing to bet a case of ammo that would never happen. At least I'd be very surprised.

Never did pay $2500 for a gun but I did shoot a Ed Brown 1911. Funny he just got his new gun back from his gunsmith for some type of adjustments.

Japle

UPDATE 1/3/2012

This morning, I talked to Jon Young at S&W Customer Service. He’s talked to the other CS and production guys and no one has seen a gun like this that made it out of the plant. They’ve seen cylinders like this in the scrap bins, but not on guns that were shipped.

He says there’s no problem if I keep the cylinder. Also no problem with anyone messing with the action. I just have to include a note stating the problem (I’ll include a few photos) and ask that they just replace the cylinder.

He says I can ask for a non-fluted cylinder, but he can’t guarantee I’ll get one. There might be an extra charge. I pointed out that it wouldn’t be any more expensive to install a non-fluted cylinder on purpose than to install a 7-fluted cylinder by mistake. The non-fluted cylinders come from the Performance Center, though, so he doesn’t know how that’ll work.

S&W is very aware of the fact that my gun is the subject of threads on at least 12 different firearms forums. They know I’m going to report on what happens.

Jon said he’ll have a shipping label emailed to me. I’ll remove the cylinder and sent the gun in.

Wish me luck!

Last edited:

357 Terms

He’s talked to the other CS and production guys and no one has seen a gun like this that made it out of the plant.

LOL! well that explains how it got out! Might not be the last.

I am surprised they are gonna let you keep that cylinder.

I would ask for the non-fluted, they might give you everthing you ask for.;)

Jim March

Cylinderrear.jpg

On a separate note, wow, those six stop-notches are really RIGHT ON TOP of the chambers, aren't they? On a six-shot Ruger (double or single action) they're significantly offset to increase cylinder strength. Here's an example from the large-frame Ruger 45 and the NewVaq45 side by side - both are offset significantly:

MVC-1001F.jpg

Source is Gunblast's original 2004 review of the NewVaq45:

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-NewVaquero.htm

The stop bolt coming up from underneath a Ruger is at the far right side of the lower frame as opposed to centered.

Yet again, why I trust my butt to a Ruger...

laytonj1

On a separate note, wow, those six stop-notches are really RIGHT ON TOP of the chambers, aren't they? On a six-shot Ruger (double or single action) they're significantly offset to increase cylinder strength.
Guess that's the first time you ever noticed that, huh?
Now, if you would like me to post some pictures of blow-up rugers with their offset stop notches...

Jim

Last edited:

Jim March

I actually didn't on S&Ws. Huh.

And yeah, I know you can blow up a Ruger :). But Ruger seems to be trying harder in the strength department.