My 686 Pro has a "feature"!!

Jim March

I'd shoot that in a pinch with 38Spl, maybe 38+P. You couldn't pay me enough to shoot full-house 357 in it.

That has to go back, pronto.

Post this pic in the S&W forums.

Japle

For those who are interested, the chamber that's in the right place is right at 0.10" thick. The thinnest one is 0.04"

I'm pretty sure a chamber that's short 60% of it's wall thickness isn't what I want.

What I do want is another cylinder fit to the gun. Preferably one with the right number of flutes.

I also want them to leave the damn sideplate on and stay out of the action. I like the way I set it up. It's smooth and light, with no "stacking" and a clean let-off.

bigautomatic

Yeesh. I am really shocked that one made it out the door. Could have been ugly had you been a little less attentive. Keep us posted on the outcome.

Standing Wolf

Member in memoriam
That there is one ginormous cucaracha, in my book.

Amen! I always hoped "ginormous" would catch on. It's a word that just caught my fancy.

As for the offset flutes: the QC people at Smith & Wesson are going to be embarrassed. Well, actually, there, uh... are some QC people there, aren't there?

18DAI

Well.......at least yours has its barrel on strait. :)

Silver lining! ;) Send it back. They will make it right, eventually. Regards 18DAI

Sevens

I still love S&W, and I still trust S&W...

But if this were me running the show, the OP would get something really nice in return-- something worthy of this epic failure they let out of the plant.

Something really nice, memorable, FREE and something to remind us all why we love Smith & Wesson.

That abomination is, well, sickening. :eek:

Webleymkv

I also want them to leave the damn sideplate on and stay out of the action. I like the way I set it up. It's smooth and light, with no "stacking" and a clean let-off.

That may or may not be possible. Generally, when a cylinder is replaced the gun has to be re-timed and if the hand has to be replaced in the process, the sideplate will have to come off (though there shouldn't be any need to mess with the rest of the action beyond disassembly and reassembly). Hopefully, they can either fit the ratchet on the current cylinder to the new one or re-time the new cylinder and ratchet by fitting the ratchet teeth alone as those two instances would not require the sideplate to be removed.

spacecoast

Once the machinist got started, he ignored the number of flutes and machined it as a six-shooter.

Do you think maybe they machine the flutes after the chambers are bored and used the wrong program? Hard to believe that one slipped by the inspector. Very glad to hear it didn't kaboom on you.

drail

Basic human inattention and CAD CAM machining. Have to wonder how many others were done this way. I am willing to bet once S&W discovers that this goof is all over the internet somebody's going to be looking for a new job. Or maybe they'll just claim this is the new improved technique and functions just as well as the old technique. But at least now I can say I have seen everything.

buddah4snow

Looking at the picture, the cylinder that is closest to lining up in the middle of the flute (the one at 9 o'clock as we're looking at it) looks so thin I'm not sure I'd take a chance on firing anything at all through it......IMHO:mad:

Japle

Folks, I spent 11 years doing final QC on medical equipment that was used in cardiac cath labs, where you go to have an angioplasty done to open a clogged artery.
The QC on this gun is the equivalent of me letting a device go out the door with test software loaded that would show the patient’s vital signs as being normal no matter what.

If I did that, even if no one was hurt, do you think I’d keep my job?

To tell you the truth, when I first noticed the screw-up, I laughed. I thought it was funny. I don’t think it’s funny anymore. The more I think about it, the madder I get. I doubt I’ll be in a better mood when someone from S&W contacts me after the first of the year.

Walklightly

It might be worth something to a collector of "bloopers", if you could find the person. I personally would not shoot it, the chambers at 7, 9 and 11 o'clock don't look beefy enough for plinking grade .357, much less hot handloads or SD/hunting ammo.

You might have something there if it wasn't suppose to be that way from S&W. Like that old stamp with the plane printed upside down.

I was working parts at a Honda motorcycle dealer. Ordered a replacement side panel for an older (1988 VF1000R) vintage sport bike. The decal on it was put on upside down. The guy rejected it after inspection. I try to convince him that it might have more value. Anyway, I was tempted to buy it as dealer cost ($100) just because.

I'm sure they destroyed it, and there was hell to pay in Japan.

Japle

Anyone who thinks this gun has significant collector's value can have it for $1,200.

You pay for shipping! :D

coop2564

Glad you caught after buying it, but would of been better to catch it before. If new i would take back to dealer instead of a long winded deal with Smith.

Japle

Back about 1974, I met a guy who was trying to duplicate Elmer Keith's .44 Maggie loads - 240 gr SWC over 22 gr of 2400. The problem was, he made a slight mistake and used Bullseye instead of 2400. The gun was a Super Blackhawk.

The wall of the top chamber blew out, blasted off the tops of the two adjacent chambers and split the cases, igniting the powder charges in those two rounds. The top strap peeled off from the front end and whizzed back, cutting a neat groove in the shooters scalp. The top strap was never found.

My 686 probably wouldn't have produced such dramatic results, but a buldged cylinder would be a distinct possibility if I fired .357 factory ammo in it.

I prefer not to take the chance.

Japle

Another pic or three ...

Cylinder1.jpg

Cylinder2.jpg

Cylinder4.jpg

10-96

Your best bet when you send it back is to not mention anything about the sideplate or the action, never bring it up.
I dunno. I put some work into my Program Assistant's 58 before he decided to send it in for a re-finish. It came back without the smoothed rebound block and the springs I installed. There's a chance yours could come back in factory spec too. If you know how to remove the innards- I would let them use their parts for function test and send a note that you will not be paying for them and not to add them to your bill.