My 686 Pro has a "feature"!!

Japle

I bought a nice new S&W 686 Pro and just finished an action job today when I noticed something odd.

What’s wrong with this picture?

6or7shot686.jpg

Inspector3711

Well, my new Smith .460 XVR only has a burnt powder ring around one cylinder. Yours has them around all 6... Is that what you mean?

Maybe it required a little "factory tuning" or have you fired it?

overkill0084

That's an interesting mod. :eek:
I'd call S&W & see if they intended it that way. :rolleyes: I'd be interested to hear what their response is.

Japle

Drkeg is the winner!!

It looks like someone used a cylinder intended for a 686+ 7-shooter for my 686 SSR 6-shooter!

I emailed S&W customer service. It'll be interesting to see what they have to say about it.

BTW: The inspector who signed off on this gun was Brian C. on 12-02-2011.

Shame on Brian!!

Kimbertron

Oh my! Bad that a gun like that slipped through the cracks but good that it was sold to a person with a good eye for detail!

excelerater

I dont see why it shoud matter.......if the timing is right it will fire on time
of the chamber is actually further away from the flutes its stronger - i think they should sell more cyls with zero flutes for even stronger barrels
but it does look a little odd

Kimbertron

I dont see why it shoud matter.......if the timing is right it will fire on time
of the chamber is actually further away from the flutes its stronger - i think they should sell more cyls with zero flutes for even stronger barrels
but it does look a little odd

Shouldn't matter as far as timing goes. And the 3 chambers on the left look beefy enough. The 3 on the right look pretty thin though.

wsp

Yeah the cylinder wall looks pretty thin on some of the bores.
Just me but I wouldn't shoot it.
Please let us know what S&W has to say. I'm sure they will make it right.
But consider this, it's one of a kind. What will it be worth in 50 years?

SwampYankee

I saw the offset on the chambers too. Not too hard to spot, can't believe that made it out of the factory. Thin chamber walls = kaboom. Chamber thickness is critical in its ability to withstand high pressures. I don't see those chambers holding up to repeated 36,000 psi .357 mag rounds. Not so good...

tubeshooter

Yikes!

I have a gun sent back for repair, and that is not very confidence inspiring...

It might be worth something to a collector of "bloopers", if you could find the person. I personally would not shoot it, the chambers at 7, 9 and 11 o'clock don't look beefy enough for plinking grade .357, much less hot handloads or SD/hunting ammo.

Japle

Dbldblu, the timing is fine. Once the machinist got started, he ignored the number of flutes and machined it as a six-shooter.

excelerater

tell em to hook you up and give you a non fluted cyl in exchange....
:D

I wish they made more this way,looks cooler and is stronger