Motor oil as gun lube? Yes/No, which one?

Moonglum

I had searched for it, Moonglum, and nowhere had I read the point on carcinogens that you just made which is actually really interesting.

Had I not asked, I would have remained oblivious to it.

However... how do we know that gun lube products do not contain carcinogens?
If I understand what I've read it's the specific additives to the motor oil, like benzene that are carcinogens.

TunnelRat

I had searched for it, Moonglum, and nowhere had I read the point on carcinogens that you just made which is actually really interesting.

Had I not asked, I would have remained oblivious to it.

However... how do we know that gun lube products do not contain carcinogens?

A number of gun lubes specifically advertise themselves as non-toxic. I’m not sure if that has to proven anywhere, or simply provides you a leg to stand on in a court were you to get sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

eflyguy

Oh yeah, castor oil! I used it in my 2-stroke motorcycle because it's what race bikes used, so it gave me extra power! Smelled awesome!

TunnelRat

Oh yeah, castor oil! I used it in my 2-stroke motorcycle because it's what race bikes used, so it gave me extra power! Smelled awesome!

My grandfather used it for his arthritis. You can use it for a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carmady

"Oh yeah, castor oil! I used it in my 2-stroke motorcycle because it's what race bikes used, so it gave me extra power! Smelled awesome!"

Did you mean this?

Attachments

• castrol.jpg
    castrol.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 37

Hawg

Grant Cunningham is a well known and respected Subject Matter Expert. What is your level of qualification to claim he doesn't know what he's talking about?
I'm not reading it again but something about WD-40 and 3 in 1 oil letting it shave bits of metal off. That's ridiculous. I admit WD-40 isn't a lube but my dad used 3 in 1 for most of his life. I grew up using it and still do. I never saw any extra wear from using it. When my dad discovered WD-40 it was all he used for probably the last 20 years or so of his life. None of his guns showed any excess wear so yeah it's ludicrous to make a statement like that.

Nodak1858

Motor Oil has Carcinogens in it. If you want to walk around with that in your pocket, have at it.
New motor oil is non-carcinogenic, it's the combustion process that adds the nasty bits to the oil. So lubing with NEW oil is not a concern, other than staining your nice clothes.

And yes, I use Mobil 1 on my guns.

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
Being on a list is being on a list, and you need to read carefully what the list actually is, and you also need understand a bit about both the list and the materials in order to properly evaluate the potential hazards and risks.

Sodium Chloride (NaCl) would be on the hazardous materials list, but isn't, because it's exempt from that list, due to it being a food item (Table salt)

Take a look at the heading of your carcinogen list. Most are lists of "Known or suspected" carcinogens. Keep that "suspected" part in mind.

Here's another one, Silica dust is on the carcinogen lists. SAND, and if I recall correctly silica is the most common element in the earth's crust.

But, here's the kicker, silica dust is ONLY a listed carcinogen if your company BUYS it. The stuff that blows in from the desert isn't counted or listed as such.

My opinion, motor oil is for motors, gun oil is for guns.

Mr.RevolverGuy said:
Aquila

Debate the authors words for sure BUT the test and results of 48 products to rust and lubricity is well done.
Apparently you were impressed by the presentation.

I wasn't. I'm hard to please.

Moonglum

I'm not reading it again but something about WD-40 and 3 in 1 oil letting it shave bits of metal off. That's ridiculous. I admit WD-40 isn't a lube but my dad used 3 in 1 for most of his life. I grew up using it and still do. I never saw any extra wear from using it. When my dad discovered WD-40 it was all he used for probably the last 20 years or so of his life. None of his guns showed any excess wear so yeah it's ludicrous to make a statement like that.
Well, my dad used it.....

dahermit

"Oh yeah, castor oil! I used it in my 2-stroke motorcycle because it's what race bikes used, so it gave me extra power! Smelled awesome!"

Did you mean this?
No... I used "Castrol" brand "Caster oil" in my 250 cc four-cycle racing motorcycle back in the early sixties. At that time, there were many motorcycle racers in Brittian and in the U.S. who used it for racing. The confusion comes about in that Castrol also made a mineral based racing oil about the same time. There was no mistaking Caster oil... it was colorless, so thick it would not pour out of can on a cold day, had a characteristic smell that made some race-goers think that such motorcycles were burring racing "fuel" (against the rules). I admit to using Caster oil and burning a 50-50 mix of Sunoco 260 and aviation gasoline.

Moonglum

Point being his guns didn't have any excessive wear like the article said would happen.
BUT we don't know how much wear your dad subjected his guns to. Did they sit in the case all year and only come out to be sighted in for deer season or used for duck season? How many high round count training classes did you dad take? How often did he hit the range? A gun won't show ANY wear if it lives in the sock drawer

JohnKSa

Administrator
Honestly, I don't hear much about guns wearing out from someone using an oil that was less than ideal. For the most part, the lubrication requirements of guns are not that stringent.

Also, guns will tell you if they're getting gummed up or getting too dry if you pay attention.

Most any oil is more than adequate if lubrication is all that's expected of it and if the owner is willing to keep on top of things.

kymasabe

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Ed's Red during this discussion, since we're talking about home brew concoctions with ingredients not originally intended for gun use. I save my Mobil1 for my truck and use gun specific cleaners and lubes in my guns.
Me? I have a pile of over priced "gun" products on my work bench.
Hoppes #9, Rem oil, SlideGlide, Slick 2000 EWG, Lucas gun oil, Breakfree CLP and Gunscrubber and Strike Industries AntiVenom...and Ballistol in there too somewhere.