mini 14 demise

Status
Not open for further replies.

mardanlin

Never been a big fan of the Ruger Mini's. If I'm going to sport an old rifle design that looks and feels like an M1A/M14 then it's going to be chambered in something bigger than 224. Honestly, nothing beats a good-bored M1 Garand in my opinion. If I can avoid box mags, I do.

SHR970

Bartholomew Roberts wrote:The only niche the Mini-14 serves now is people who want (or are required by law or agency policy) to have an older-styled semi-auto .223.

States like Kalifornia will keep the mini alive for a long time. Yes you can have a pinned mag (or bullet button while still legal) aka neutered AR but you can have a detachable mag Mini 14. Kali in and of itself is a large enough market that until they ban these, Ruger would likely make limited runs for quite awhile even if everyone in every state stopped buying them. Like it or not for the power brokers in Cowtown, the Mini 14 complies with the Kali AWB.

car

The Mini has been around for 40 years now, I think it will continue to be with us for as long as it continues to sell in numbers that make it profitable for Ruger to manufacture it.

Even though I don't think it is as good as an AR, they are entirely adequate out of the box for most purposes other than serious combat usage or competition target shooting and they do have a certain appeal to people looking for something different from an AR, not to mention that there are many people who like the traditional looks and handling qualities of the Mini-14.

TDL

I think there will be some positive pressure on ruger to improve the mini-14, or perhaps price it better with completion from Ares SCR.

To be fair they did improve accuracy a few years back, but the quality/price for what they are putting out is still not serious IMHO

Skans

Ruger stopped supporting the AC556 (Mini-14's full-auto cousin) several years ago. I suspect that the Mini-14 will be discontinued within the next couple of years. It's much easier and cheaper for Ruger and others to take an AR and "civilize" it to meet restrictions in various states.

In fact, I am consider adding one of the older stainless Mini-14's (more polished than that mat gray color) to the stable, if I can find one cheap enough.

Gats Italian

As a southpaw, a cheap AR isn't as good as a Mini-14. Having to buy and install a Norgon mag catch in every AR I own makes the Mini very cost competitive in my shooting world, where the Ruger mags are already a sunk cost.

T. O'Heir

"...keep the Mini on life support..." Um, they sell every single one they make at those outrageous prices. What makes you think they'll discontinue it?
"...Never released because..." They couldn't get it to work at all. Ruger's marketing types announced the XGI at the January SHOT show and announced they were going to build 'em in June. I forget the year, but one of our small chains had the thing in their catalogue for 2 years after.

stu925

Mini-14's are still legal in NY where most AR type rifles are banned. The standard Mini-14 has none of the features that would make it an "Assault Rifle" under the unsafe Act. I imagine the same is true in other states that have similar "Assault Rifle" restrictions. There's still plenty of firearms owners behind enemy lines that want a semi-auto .223/5.56 chambered rifles, hence why companies like Stag are now offering NY compliant rifles. While those rifles are ugly as the day is long, I am thrilled that the manufacturers have decided to build rifles that are available in enemy territory. For me I bought a Mini because I'm not an AR guy and I imagine there are plenty of others out there like me. I think the Mini will stay around for a while longer.

Stu

STEINER

There are so many semi-auto 5.56/223 detachable mag rifles on the market that
the Ruger Mini 14 could fade away. If Ruger sales drop down to a certain point for the Ranch Rifle, then they could stop production.
I don't know how they are doing. I do know that what was new in 2008 at $600.00 is now $800. Little pricey.
In defense of the Mini, it is my favorite rifle to shoot under 100 yards.
I like the simplistic Garand design and I have never had one hiccup with the two
I own. Factory mags only.
They are not flying under the radar as some owners think.
I live in Calif. and I saw a picture of Darrel Steinburg and Feinstein displaying
both an AR and Mini in some press release last year, claiming them both as
bad news.

mtnman

Both of mine are 2 moa rifles all day long, I believe a lot of the accuracy issues are based on the inexperience of shooters and not the weapon.

Skans

Ruger should redesign the Mini-14 to be more of a high-end semi-auto .223. A re-designed stock, with wood options; and better finishing of the receiver and barrel would be a start. use a barrel system similar to the Savage bolt action rifles. I would really like to be able to swap out barrels on the Mini-14 myself with nothing more than a vise and a barrel nut wrench. Then if someone offered upgraded trigger systems, add-on's and doo-dads for the Mini-14, I think it could be a very popular format.

jmr40

2 MOA isn't anything to brag about. Not when you are paying $800 for a new rifle and have the option of buying an AR for under $700 that will likely shoot 1 MOA. I've yet to see an AR, even a budget model, that wouldn't do that with quality ammo and optics.

I actually like the Mini. If I owned one I'd likely keep it and use it, but at todays prices wouldn't spend the money to buy one

tahunua001

I'm an AR man through and through, but I've no hate for the minis, in fact I've been lusting over a mini 30 to cabinet queen up a bit. the mini has a poor reputation from model to model over different things, if it's not the 30 is unreliability, it's the 14 is inaccurate. I have come to regard suck comments at arms length. I've owned guns which people claimed couldn't hit the broad side of a barn which I can use to hit pill bottles filled with tannerite with 100% certainty at 75 yards with garbage ammo. I've also owned guns which were supposed to be tack drivers where I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn if I was standing inside it. same for reliability, I've had guns that have no reputation for poor reliability suffer failures at alarming rates and I've had "junk" which has yet too fail me. any shooter with half a brain knows that internet rumors are just that unless you do your research and find the truth underneath. you know I have heard those same claims about the mini 14 accuracy problems, but in the last 3 years I've spent on this board, I still have yet to see a mini which so inaccurate that an owner has felt the need to write a negative range review on one. I have seen one guy claim their mini was inaccurate as bleep and that they love the AR that replaced it but if you look at the criteria for their claims, it may as well have been a 5 year old with his first daisy bb gun comparing it to nerf guns. shooting pop cans at 10 feet.

an uncle of mine has a tacticooled up, trigger jobbed up mini 14, he likes it quite a bit. I've never shot it, but for a man with 1 arm claiming to shoot squirrels free hand all day, and he aint one for big fish stories, I'm inclined to think ruger may have fixed their issues with the mini's inherent accuracy issues.

SaveAmerica

The end of the Mini-14 was signaled when Ruger introduced it's DI AR the Ruger AR-556 which undercuts the Mini in price and will slaughter it in volume. The Mini-14 will be around as long as commie states ban the AR and buyers are willing to pay the increasing cost (due to lower volumes). But at some point the Mini will morph into an upgraded premium rifle, or become extinct.

I live in Commiefornia, and there are restrictions on ARs, but there are workarounds. And frankly, Mini-14s just do not sell well here even with the AR restrictions.

I go to the range frequently, the AR to Mini ratio is at least 50 to one. AKs are much more common than Minis, maybe 10 to one. My estimates from the three ranges I frequent. YMMV

Last edited:

psalm7

I bought the one I have now aroung 98 or 99 for $497 . Evan with todays prices they don't seem to stay on the shelf long . I think its the old school Military Rifle design that sales them .

KMAX

I think its the old school Military Rifle design that sales them .

I have to agree with this. It is exactly why I prefer my Mini to my AR. It is the nostalgia factor that makes me love my Mini and when my brother-in-law and I can sit on the side of the hill and shoot wasps off the pond 40 yards away it is accurate enough for my needs. I would have liked the real M14 but the cost of one and ammo deterred me. Maybe eventually I will love my AR, maybe not. I have yet to love 40 cal or poly-framed handguns and I have been trying for some time now. I would probably prefer the AR if I was hunting predators but I only plink.

I would add that it is the wood stock and blue steel I find attractive. Put one in a synthetic stock and I don't care for it especially if it is stainless. Then it is no better looking than an AR anyway.

Last edited:

kawasakifreak77

I had a mini when I was a kid, man did that barrel get hot!

It always hit what I aimed at & never once malfuntioned. I'm just not a 223 fan, other than for economical reasons.

If I needed a 223 auto I would buy another mini over an AR in a heartbeat. To me, they look better & are accurate enough to do what I need to do. I hear they've improved the sights / accuracy, even better.

I'd go buy a mini 30 but I already have an AK.

Now if they make one in 6.5G, 300BLK or 5.45mm I'd be whipping out the benjamins fast! But that'll never happen.

tahunua001

I don't know about 5.45x39 but the others are within the realm of possibility. the mini series does need some new blood if ruger wants to keep it going and 300 BLK and 6.5 grendel could be done with relatively little modification to the mini 30 and mini 14 designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.