mini 14 demise

Status
Not open for further replies.

weldonjr2001

I'm sure Ruger is anxiously awaiting the results of this post. :p

I've got two Minis. I like the non-tactical look. Never had the slightest interest in having an AR of any flavor.

Guess I'm typical of Ruger's target audience.

My two have never had a malfunction of any type with Ruger magazines. I did have some feeding problems when I tried a Brand X 20 rounder once.

My Minis are for 100 yard problems, past that it's my Tikka's job.

Grant D

I like my mini 30 also, it does everything I need for that type of rifle.
And I would rather have three expensive mags that work, than six cheap ones that don't. I learned that the hard way.
Never have gotten into the AR thing, oh, I think they're cool, just not for me.

Tinner666

If they started making them in .308 I would be all over them, since I feel the AR is a superior platform for the 5.56 to the mini 14 I have no desire to own one.

I waited for one for years, then when the Ranch came out with the AK round, I said THWI and bought a miniSS which I still have. Fun gun.

AK103K

Wasnt there supposed to be a .308 version of the Mini at one point? Seems I remember seeing a write up on it.

1stmar

I just for one, new series. Very disappointed in the accuracy. Can't get anything to resemble a group. I think the barrel is defective. When I run a jag w a patch on it, about 9" into the barrel it becomes very tight, then frees up and then tightens again. I think the bore is rough. It's new and I'm sending it back to ruger. All that said, I like the design and the rifle. I'm intent on making it shoot worth a darn. Are ARs cheaper, yea some are. But I like the rotating bolt design. There are two easily remedied issues. The obvious one- fix the darn barrel. No need for a taper at all. It won't add much weight IMO. Shorten the barrel if you want to keep the weight constant. The rear sight needs attention. Other then that it's a good rifle based on a good design. It doesn't need to compete with the ar. Just because it's a 223 semi? It just needs to be sufficiently accurate. Some are, mine isn't but I'm hopeful ruger will rebarrel it and it will be a decent shooter. I have an ar, If this thing shot 1-2 moa, the ar would rarely leave the safe.

9x19

Wasnt there supposed to be a .308 version of the Mini at one point? Seems I remember seeing a write up on it.

XGI_zps65e7f3a5.jpg

bamaranger

answers

Ok , some answers. No, I do not have any sales statistics for Mini sales. And yes, I am basing my "life support" comments simply on my observations at the range, matches, and what I see going out the doors at local shops, and the huge support market catering to the AR. So yes, it is conjecture. A question posed for comment. Because, though I believe all gun sales are still up a bit, the AR family is likely outselling Minis by a wide margin. And since Ruger is making and selling AR type piston rifles, why bother with the Mini? Two platforms for the same purpose. I'm betting they can the Mini. 5-10 yrs. max.

Regards .308 Mini. Ruger tried, they called it the XGI. It did not make production, though a few factory examples are about. I saw one on Gunbroker about 10 years ago. R.L. WILSON's book "Ruger and His Guns" discusses it and has some pics.

Regards a correction officer with a Mini. Yeah, lots of agencies went to the mini as a patrol rifle when they first came out. Priced against the AR at the time, they were a bargain. And the wood and steel look was conservative/PC. But many agencies have moved away from the mini, ( my outfit did, over 20 yrs ago!) I much doubt very many mini's have bought the rifle new to arm a dept or agency recently (again conjecture). So many vets these days (bless'em) familiar with the AR, why issue a throwback design. (odd safety, take down, etc.)

Hey, I like'em, I like their relatives, but I fear their days are numbered.

The only niche the Mini-14 serves now is people who want (or are required by law or agency policy) to have an older-styled semi-auto .223. With the new Ares SCR lower, the Mini is even getting competition from the AR in that niche.

And because of the mass market for AR parts, the Mini can no longer compete on price either. I've seen people putting together new ARs for under $500 during the recent July sales. Even Ruger makes an AR15 now.

pilpens

I hope the MINI does not die out. I almost got one last month but because of its out-of-box inaccuracy compared to similarly priced AR, I opted to get another AR.

Someday, when Ruger makes a stiffer barrel for the non-target MINI, I will get one.

Corrections Cop

Regards a correction officer with a Mini. Yeah, lots of agencies went to the mini as a patrol rifle when they first came out. Priced against the AR at the time, they were a bargain. And the wood and steel look was conservative/PC. But many agencies have moved away from the mini, ( my outfit did, over 20 yrs ago!) I much doubt very many mini's have bought the rifle new to arm a dept or agency recently (again conjecture). So many vets these days (bless'em) familiar with the AR, why issue a throwback design. (odd safety, take down, etc.)

Our Department still uses Mini's as our duty rifle, in fact I just qualified with it last week again. The rumor is though that they want to switch over to AR's.

oberkommando

Minis handle steel case ammo a lot better than ARs do in my experience. I have an LMT that will run it also but most ARs seem finicky in that regard.

tobnpr

I think a lot of the Mini's continued attractiveness is not only it's reliability- but it's utter simplicity- and lack of a gazillion little parts.

I could break down and clean 3 or 4 Mini's, before I could do a thorough job on an AR.

I'll also add- that just like an AR, or bolt gun, "accuracy" (not the inherent accuracy of the weapon, but how accurately it can be shot) is much about the trigger. And yes, the Mini's military trigger can be worked to near precision- but one needs the requisite knowledge, and skill.

When I had mine, I followed "Doc's" video, and came out with a 3 lb trigger that broke like glass- with just a hint of take-up and no creep.

http://www.greatwestgunsmithing.com/mini trigger low quality.html

It cut my group sizes in half.

1stmar

Once I get my mini back from ruger it's heads to doc for bedding, trigger, gas block and barrel shortening.

bamaranger

field strip

The Garand/M14 takedown is one of the things I like about the rifle. And +1 to no detent balls, springs,and all the tiny stuff in the AR.

But it won't save them thinks I.

skoro

I get the strong impression that ARs are far outselling the Mini-14 these days. I had lots of M16a1 experience back in the day and know how good a platform the AR is.

Still, when it came time for me to get a 5.56/223, I went with a Ranch Rifle. I'm old and I still prefer wood and blued steel. If the Mini goes away, I suppose I'll have a collector's item.

I think it's premature to declare the Mini-14 dead. If Ruger is still producing them, then Ruger's marketing has foreseen its demand in the consumer market. If anything, the Mini-14 doesn't have the modularity of the AR and cannot be worked on to the extent that the AR can. Anybody who worked on motorcycles or cars or played with Legos can change the barrel on the AR (OK, last one I worked on I needed two taller & bigger classmates to break the seize between the barrel and the receiver. I was hanging with all my weight on the wrench and couldn't bulge it).

Of course, we must acknowledge that firearm consumer sales are down. Several firms have already announced layoffs.

Grizz12

Ruger is having serious issues with QC in the mini 14 dept. right now. I purchased a new 582 series last year and it went back to ruger three times for feeding/ejecting problems and then I asked them to replace the rifle.

The "new" one they sent me went back because I couldnt sight in on a target at 50 yards and they replaced the barrel. bolt and a few other things. I took that one out and shot about 100 rounds, came home, cleaned it, worked the action and the firing pin broke!! I asked them to refund my money and let me know when they plan on fixing the problems in that dept because I really want a functional mini 14...

Search the boards and you will see a bunch of people having the same problems with new production mini's.

Ruger had a great product that could easily compete with the AR but they shot themselves in the foot by not controlling the quality of current production rifles

Status
Not open for further replies.