Let's talk .380's

Hal

I regret not pulling the trigger on an FEG Hi Power when I had the chance to get one for ~ $300

Hun Shooter

I regret selling my mint FEG Hi Power I bought for $200 :( I did not know at that time how easy it was to make them into an excellent shooter. I am still looking for a cherry one for a good deal.

Lol, Yes as a Pocket gun shooter and shoot each week, the Pico has most definately "Stolen my Heart" as well. Actually both of them, I bought two because I liked the gun so much. Now 3,000 rounds later and still running like a sewing machine. (over 700 rounds on the second one and the same) Is Plus P over rated? I do not know. I will say this, the Pico will stand up to any high Pressure ammo you can throw it's way and and ask for more. And cut any round down to size and make it just a mild round. Bravo to Beretta! And Yes, a gun that you just like to hold and admire.

Laz

Carl, you have done a great job selling me on the Pico. I looked at one when they first came out and, even though I am not large handed, I thought the grip was under-sized and very cramped. I also did not, and do not, particularly find the pistol attractive. (I feel that way about a number of Berettas, just personal sense of aesthetics.) However, the build quality you have described and demonstrated makes me want to take another look. Like you, I like small 380s and have several, LCPs and P238s. More than two, less than a bunch. Perhaps a Pico has a place. I really like that stainless sub-frame. My favorite 238 is an HD model, stainless frame and slide. My sub-compact 9mm is a Sig P290RS with a blackened stainless steel sub-frame and rails. I like my LCPs but they are definitely a departure from the old Ruger overbuilt “hell for stout” philosophy.

Thank you Laz. I posted on another forum that this is not only a well built gun, but the more you handle the gun, the nicer it gets, racking the slide becomes a piece of cake as well using the slide stop. It is now second nature for me. Even just pulling the receiver all the way back and watch the lever drop on it's own.
As I mentioned, I bought two of them, and noticed that Bud's has them on sale for $195.00 and there is a $50.00 rebate. I am going to get a third Pico. These guns are worth every Penny of $300.00 plus. Might take advantage of these times now when all gun prices are very low. It will not last.
Thanks for the feedback. Really happy to see a fellow Pico friend.

By the way, My first one went down around 3500 rounds with flawless shooting. HOWEVER. I sent it in and it turned out to be user error. I had not put it in the frame correctly. Actually nothing wrong with the gun.

Last edited:

reteach

Another vote for the Glock 42. I have been carrying mine in my front pocket all summer, which in Texas started back in April. I use a Sticky pocket holster and I wear loose fitting pants. Works for me, and the 42 is a great pistol.

Carmady

Bud's has them on sale for $195.00 and there is a $50.00 rebate.

That's hard to resist, and I don't even want a second Pico, but at that price, whatever shall I do? I wonder if these have "BERETTA" and the trident near the muzzle.

Here's mine, trying out a makeshift backstrap extension.

Attachments

• Pico.JPG
    Pico.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 90

Reloadron

Years ago my wife had a little Colt Government .380 ACP. One of the best shooting little .380 guns I have ever shot. We sold it to a friend who just had to have it and eventually replaced it with an Interarms imported Walther PPK which is still in the gun safe today. The little Colt was one really great shooting gun though. While not in a .380 ACP fan club if another Colt Government Model comes along at a reasonable price I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

Ron

JERRYS.

I've owned so many different .380s from the miniscule Seecamp .380 to the "full sized" Beretta Cheetah and many others in between.

today I own two, a Glock 42 and a Sig P232.

Ibmikey

Reloadron, Put a Star S Pistol in your hand and you will have the Colt Gov. Model only cheaper. The Colt has a slightly different grip after which it is a clone of the Star which sell for considerably less. Check GB for a Star S, SS ( same pistol mag safety added), SI (32acp) or Super S for a great pistol.

HisSoldier

Put a Star S Pistol in your hand and you will have the Colt Gov. Model only cheaper.

I'm blessed to own two, an S and an SS which I turned into an S. They are the best feeling handgun ever made IMO.

Cruising GB for another but they are a bit scarce!

I just loaded 50 .380 rounds with 4 grains of 231 and 90 gn Gold dot HP. Averages 1065 FPS, getting closer to a 9X19.

dsk

I have a Glock 42 that runs like Usain Bolt. I've got a couple thousand rounds through it and have had no problems aside from the early slide-lock issue which I fixed on my own. I haven't been nearly as impressed with the smaller, pocket .380s everyone else seems to love as I've found them to be very temperamental. I even have an LCP, and while it's okay it's not as reliable as the Glock is, nor is it as shootable (big surprise there).

My other .380 is an old Colt Pocket Hammerless, and while it's dated as a defense gun it's still a fun shooter. I did once briefly own a Bersa Thunder, and it would've been a great gun had the recoil impulse not hurt my hand every time I fired it. Some guns are just not a good match for some people, I guess.

Siggy-06

I carried an LCP in my pocket for over a year then switched to a single stack 9mm on my hip. I also had a Bersa Thunder 380 before giving it to my sister, which she really enjoys. I now have a Beretta Pico on the way for $225 and with the rebate I'll have a nice pocket 380 again for $175.

TruthTellers

I like the LCP's, imo the best pocket .380 out there for the money. The LCP Custom and II are far better than the original LCP, I wouldn't bother with the original LCP's unless you can get them for a C note.

The Glock 42 is probably the best and easiest .380 shooter, but it's too big. My recent epiphany with larger "pocket" .380's is at that size one may as well find the smallest, lightest single stack 9mm and load it with 100 grain Hornady Critical Defense Lite. That load is still more powerful than any .380 load out there and it's super low recoil.

I have this crazy wish that a company would come out with a 9mm about the size of a Glock 42 in 9mm -P (yes, MINUS P) basically just a 9mm with a 100 grain bullet or less held to 25,000 PSI max, but capable of shooting some standard pressure 9mm, but with a big huge warning that says "NEVER SHOOT ANY 9mm +P in this firearm" on the slide.

My thinking is one could still have a small gun that shoots slightly more powerful ammo than .380 and be able to shoot a few boxes of standard pressure 9mm just in case they need to.

dgludwig

For my purpose (pistol in a pocket), anything much larger or heavier than an LCP and I'll carry something chambered in a more potent cartridge than the .380 ACP.

carguychris

TruthTellers said:
I have this crazy wish that a company would come out with a 9mm about the size of a Glock 42 in 9mm -P (yes, MINUS P) basically just a 9mm with a 100 grain bullet or less held to 25,000 PSI max, but capable of shooting some standard pressure 9mm, but with a big huge warning that says "NEVER SHOOT ANY 9mm +P in this firearm" on the slide.
They could chamber it in 9mm Glisenti! ;)

This is an obsolete cartridge ostensibly based on 9mm Para, but downloaded so that the Italian Army's Glisenti Model 1910 pistol would not spontaneously disassemble itself on firing. :eek: The cartridge dimensions were so similar that most 9mm Glisenti firearms could chamber and fire 9mmP, which turned out to be a thorn in the Army's side whenever captured ammunition was around, as their troops had to be firmly instructed never to use it! :rolleyes: