Let's talk .380's

Ibmikey

The .380's in my safes that are the most fun to shoot are also the largest. Beretta 84 and 85's are great shooters as is the Russian Makarov .380 and CZ 82 (although in 9x18 Mak). Although bigger than the micros they are still easily carried and more comfortably shot.
For the best of all worlds Star made the S series of pistols in .380 and .32 acp, they are light, thin and very comfortable grip resulting in excellent accuracy. The older ones have fixed sights and no target grip for easy carry.

TailGator

My wife and I both have Sig P238s. Hers is her primary carry, and mine is used as a pocket pistol when IWB carry doesn't work out. Very nice little guns, very reliable, easy to shoot well, surprisingly accurate, good sights. Some people are nervous about pocket carrying cocked and locked, but the safety clicks on and off very decisively, plus I use a pocket holster that covers both trigger and safety lever. It is also a little pricey. But a little gem of a pistol.

The only other .380 I have is a Beretta 84. Nice pistol, smooth and accurate, but delivers a little more recoil than some folks expect because of its mechanism, and not in the same size category. I don't carry it, but it is a fun way to empty .380 brass for reloading.

carguychris

tallball said:
There's also a Browning version of the Beretta (BDA, maybe?)
For the record, you're referring to the Browning BDA 380.*

The BDA 380 was based on the Beretta 84, was built on the same Italian production line, and takes the same magazines; however, it features a closed-top slide with a conventional ejection port, spur hammer, different sights, and a slide-mounted decocker/safety that drops the hammer to the "1/4 cock" position. The Beretta 84 uses an open-top slide, ring-style hammer, and frame-mounted ambidextrous thumb safeties that did not decock the hammer until the F and FS versions were introduced. The original no-suffix 84 safety locks the trigger, and the B and BB safeties disconnect the trigger; the user must thumb the hammer down to carry these pistols in DA mode.

FN Herstal, which owns the Browning trademark, also marketed a version of the BDA 380 for European police sales under the FN 140 DA moniker. Other than markings, the 140 DA differs from the BDA in having black plastic FNH-logo grips rather than fancy wood Browning-logo ones, and it was available in .32 ACP / 7.65 Browning whereas the BDA 380 was not. AFAIK the 140 DA was never offered new in the U.S. but some have found their way here on the surplus market.

*Footnote: FN/Browning also used the BDA label for DA/SA versions of the BHP (Hi Power-BDA or HP-BDA) and for SIG Sauer P220s sold in the late 1970s and early 1980s when Browning was serving as SIG's U.S. distributor (BDA 9, 38, and 45). I prefer to always specify "380" to prevent confusion with these.

Deaf Smith

+P is overrated in mini-mouse guns. Your older LCP will do fine for a hideout gun (as I use mine). Otherwise pack a bigger one in a bigger cartridge.

Deaf

Hal

+P is overrated in mini-mouse guns. Your older LCP will do fine for a hideout gun (as I use mine). Otherwise pack a bigger one in a bigger cartridge.
I have to agree all around that, for the most part, +P is way overrated as well as way misunderstood.

& yes, my Ruger LCP is just dandy as far as a hideout type, carry it every time I go out the door, kind of gun.
I can carry it a lot in an ankle holster & never even know it's there.

The .380 caliber itself is just shy of a .38 spl, but, much easier to shoot (than a J-frame S&W) and easier to pack.

It's just not as purty as the Pico! ;).

Or the Sig for that matter....

But, that little Minx of a Pico has stolen my heart.

carguychris

Deaf Smith said:
I've remarked in past .380 threads that, from a purely objective standpoint, IMHO the larger .380 pistols have been eclipsed by modern 9mm polymer-frame compacts. My Beretta 84BB is almost exactly the same size and is slightly heavier loaded than my M&P9c, which packs a harder punch while only giving up one round (12+1 vs 13+1), has a much smoother and more carry-friendly exterior, and frankly has more pleasant recoil.

However, I still occasionally carry the 84BB, just because I like it. :)

IDbound

I would also endorse the Glock 42. I never have liked Glocks but had to change my mind when I saw how much better I shot the 42 versus my former EDC P238.

JC57

I have a great .380. Bersa Thunder, standard single-stack model. Feels great, fun to shoot, reliable, accurate. Not a thing in the world wrong with that gun, other than the relative effectiveness of the caliber.

franco45

I have settled on the Beretta Pico and Remington RM380 as my 380 carry guns I have owned LCPs, TCPs, a P3AT, a DB380 and Kahr CW and CT380s. Having said that I have several other 380s in the safe that see range time. My favorites are a Beretta 84fs and a FI model D.

JoeSixpack

Franco sounds like you've had a lot of different .380's

Can you expand on why you picked the pico and rm380 over the others?

dogngun

I went nuts for .380's about 2 years ago

I now have 2 Beretta M84's, 2 S&W Bodyguard .380 pocket autos, a Cobra derringer in.380, a like new Astra Constable .380 (and one in .22 lr) and just buying a Llama .380, in nearly new condition.
IF you like ball ammo, and I do, get some GECO, Fiocchi or other european bands - MUCH hotter and better than we make here...
They take the .380 seriously over there.

franco45

Franco sounds like you've had a lot of different .380's

Can you expand on why you picked the pico and rm380 over the others?

The Diamondback and the Keltec were utterly unreliable. The Kahrs were finicky and didn't fit my hand. The LCPs and TCPs I've owned were reliable and extremely easy to conceal. The problem I had with both was that mags came loose when I pocket carried them. I'm left handed and must have bumped the mag release on a regular basis.
The Pico's mag release is just below the trigger guard like the H&K's. The RM380's has not been a problem. Both of them are extremely soft shooters and very accurate. The Pico has best in grade sights. I have heard complaints about the trigger on the Remington but I shoot a lot of revolvers so I actually like it. I prefer the Pico for pocket carry because it is very thin. I do pocket carry the RM380 but I also carry it owb in a Winthrop belt slide holster.

Ibmikey

IDbound, Funny your experience with the G 42 is the opposite of mine, well almost as both weapons shoot great for me with a slight advantage going to my P 238’s ( I have three) over my G 42. I tried the 42 because I shoot the G 19 so well and like the .380 a lot, I then bought a G 43 and despised it! One of the few guns I traded off, that’s where the third P 238 and a dozen magazines came from.
The trade P 238 is another story as it was one of the first released and in need of their safety recall plus the night sights had died. I sent it to Sig and received back a totally new firearm (same serial) with glowing sights and not a sign that it had even been fired...way to go Sig.
The G 42 remains ready to go with me but normally one of those neat little P 238’s is my companion. Also my P 938 is also a sweetheart unlike the G 43.

Last edited:

Front Sight

Another vote for the Glock 42 though I have been thinking about getting a pocket-sized .380 like a Pico.

The G42 is small, but not pocket small (for me at least). I’d definitely prefer to carry the G42 over a Pico but sometimes something that slips in a pocket would be good to have (otherwise I may have to skip carrying that day).

I usually carry my G42 with a +1 baseplate and an extra one in the chamber for a total of 8.

handlebar

this fits in my rotation. Usually carry a J-frame, but when clothes are tight, this one is a good fit and quite accurate.

M3hdRs9l.jpg

Andy Blozinski

Double stack .380. Beretta 84. A well reviewed mostly copy is the MC-14 sold by both Bersa and Zenith. You can pick one up, 3 mags included, for less than $400. That's pretty much my next pistol. I don't really need it, so it keeps getting passed over due to other actually important expenses.
I just really enjoy shooting my wife's Sig P238 and want to get something different for when I eventually get my own .380.

SA1911

Hi Hal,

Would you want to attempt to save your life with a .380 Auto?

In my opinion, 9MM is minimum for self-defense, .40 S&W is better, & .45 ACP is king. But it's your life about which your inquiring.

It might be worth your while to figure out how humans are incapacitated.

My advice is to use a cartridge that has demonstrated efficacy. You might have only one chance to get it right.

Hal

It might be worth your while to figure out how humans are incapacitated.
Might be worth your while to know the whole story/offer some constructive ideas instead of just your opinion - which BTW, I generally share....since I do have both a .45acp Shield and a Kimber 1911

Would you want to attempt to save your life with a .380 Auto?
@ my age,,,,,& in my physical condition,,,,,yes.
10 years ago, I probably would have opted for a knife instead.
But- the current genera of "pocket lite" .380's have been a God-send for people such as myself.

I have a 56 inch waist. Good luck finding anything that takes a belt to hang a waist band holster in with a gut like I have.
My every day attire is a pair of sweat pants.
Forget about losing weight also.
Those "belly band" type holsters only go up to 48"...

I'm on oxygen (End-stage COPD) 7x24x365(6) & any type of exercise - other than swimming - is out of the question.- - so---I don't see me slimming down much.

I also live in NE Ohio high's are going to flirt with 80-'s this week, just as last week did. That means - no shoulder holster until the weather really cools down.

My advice is to use a cartridge that has demonstrated efficacy.
My advice is - - make the most of what hand life deals you.
For me, the only thing that fits my current needs in an ankle carry rig with as substantial a caliber as I can get to fill it.

Trust me here...if I could comfortably carry and shoot a J frame S&W .357 magnum, in an ankle holster, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Hun Shooter

Last weekend I just picked up a Walther PP in .380 made by FEG and a Hi Power. These are good guns, double action, decocker, that you can find in the mid $200 range.