-LEGENDARY- handguns that you think are over-rated

CDR_Glock

Colt python. Great trigger but it’s a medium frame. I don’t think a regular diet of 357 will be kind to it. Who can service it?

Desert Eagle 50 AE. What’s the use? Hahahaha. I have a 44 Magnum, though, and it’s fun.

H&K USP. Big and bulky.

H&K Mark 23. Boat anchor.

Colt Anaconda.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

RC20

Colt Python

Having handled (and shot one) not its not over rated. Its the smoothest slickest revolver ever made. Its more a piece of art than a gun.

Pre 64 Winchester, while not a pistol would be on my list.

Oooh, PPK is a good one for this list!

Have to agree its on the underated list (grin)

I guess if you like well done machinery that is slick and smooth and is pure craftsmanship rather than a bulk mfg item, then its on the good list.

They don't make either Python or PPK like they used to.

I wish I had bought a Pyton back in the day, sigh, liked the S&W, good solid guns, not a Python though.

In my mind its a bit like a Sig SP2022 and a H&K P30.

The Sig is a solid tool, the P-30 is a joy to shoot.

Last edited:
Colt 1911.

Sure. Good handgun, but antiquated design. Much better options these days, even in .45.

Really have to disagree with those listing the S&W Model 19 as overrated. It is simply the best combination of power, ergonomics, and size every combined into a general duty revolver.

Don Fischer

Handguns that I think are over rated? All of them. Except for concealed carry there is nothing any hand gun can do that a rifle can't do better! I like the handgun's I have and a number of them in the past. I don't know is they were under rated or over rated I just know I liked most. I don't care for single action handgun's at all. maybe because I just don't shoot them all that well.I'd like to have a Scofield in 32. Probably make a fun fooling around gun. Wouldn't take it to war though! Couldn't pay me to take anything larger than a 39 Spec though. I'm a rifle guy and don't own a handgun or even know of one I'd give up a rifle for!

Over rated? Under rated? it's all a state of mind!

Sevens

In an effort to better define my position on the K-frame Magnum (13/19/65/66), it's simply that I think it's a lousy gun for shooting .357 Magnum, and it does nothing better than a fantastic K-38. Indeed, it CAN mimic both, and true to it's original intention, it was perfect in it's duty role to be carried a lot and shot infrequently, or as the legend goes... training and qualification with .38 Special and big nasty .357 Magnum for duty carry.

The subject is overrated, not horrible or useless or junk or an abomination. I like the 6-inch Model 66-2 that I kept, but I sent both my 4-inch Model 19's away, meanwhile I'm beyond elated with all my 4-inch heavy barrel 10's and 64's and they continue to impress me. When it's time to enjoy .357 Magnum from a revolver, my 686 does a great job but I tend to reach for a 28-2.

The Model 19 is a jack of all trades and a master of none, while the Model 10 is a master of .38 ammo and the 28-2 is a master of the heavy stuff.

This is where I'm coming from, and it's taken me years to form this opinion. The Model 19 has (generally speaking) got itself a lofty status among revolver lovers and especially S&W folks, of which I staunchly consider myself both. And I have no problems agreeing that it would be far easier to carry it on my belt for 30 years than a Model 28-2 and it will definitely launch 158gr JHP at 1,200fps far better than a Model 10 will, but when it comes to range day... I would much rather own and bring a 4-inch HB Model 10 and a 6-inch 28-2 than to have a bag full of 13, 19, 65 and 66's.

Truly a legend in American handgun history. I'll suggest that it's overrated. ;)

Sevens

The Browning Hi-Power has a status (a well earned status, simply given it's issued contracts and global proliferation) of legendary or beyond, I include it in my list of overrated simply because of all the little annoyances and items that many end up finding a work-around as they are minor road blocks on the path to enjoyment.

Of course tons of folks will try to counter my statement by saying they don't modify it one whit but it's no less true. The safety is not slick or smooth, the tang is not substantial and legions of shooters get some degree of hammer bite, the trigger is so ridiculous that almost zero gun designs moving forward have done any manner of copy, the tactile trigger reset seemingly does not even exist, the magazine disconnect has a 97% disapproval rate, and far, far, FAR too much "John M. Browning" gets attributed and attached to this pistol.

It's a gorgeous handgun, it's absolutely iconic by any measure. It's also overrated, and I bet John Browning would agree.

"Lousy for shooting .357 Magnum."

Remember what the 19's purpose was...

It was to bring to market a gun that was lighter and easier to carry than the N-frame .357s and be cheaper.

It wasn't designed to fire a steady diet of .357 Magnum rounds.

It was targeted primarily at police, who had been requesting the cartridge in a smaller, lighter, more affordable package.

The vast majority of what I put through my three Model 19s isn't .357, it's .38 Special.

But when I carry one of the 19s, either the 2.5 or 4", it's .357 Magnum rounds. That dual purpose versatility adds to the 19ths flexability and usability.

Sevens

I believe said exactly that in my own words. The 19 is a legend when being discussed at length and on a gun show table laying on a blanket of felt.

The 19 is, IMO, wildly over rated when at the shooting range making noise.

TruthTellers

Ruger revolvers and most 1911s.
I don't know of any Ruger revolvers that are "legendary." The most iconic revolver Ruger makes is probably their single actions and even S&W fanboys who like SA revolvers will say that the Rugers are really good.

Mind clarifying which Ruger revolvers are overrated?

"The 19 is, IMO, wildly over rated when at the shooting range making noise."

I'll remember that the next time I'm at the range, surrounded by guys punching holes in the ceilings, floors, and lane barriers with their semi-auto dujor. I'll chuckle softly and take the center out of another target with my wildly overrated noise maker. :p

"I believe said exactly that in my own words."

Heh. You did. We were both posting at the same time. I never saw your explanation until just now.

Here's how I know that the Model 19 isn't overrated, at least in my universe...

I own close to 70 handguns of all stripes and all calibers.

All of them could go away.

The only one I will NEVER part with, under any circumstances, is my 4" Model 19.

My P7PSP? My Colt Official Police? My Springfield 1911? My Hi Power? The various other Smith .38s and .357s?

All expendable.

Sevens

My 4-inch 19-4 and my 4-inch Texas Rangers Commemorative 19-3 plus SN-matching big gaudy knife in slick wooden display box were both very nice K-frames and I couldn't keep either. Meanwhile I have a circa 1990 former DOC 4-inch HB Model 10-10 that has an armorer's rack number carved in to the bottom of the trigger guard with what had to have been a rusty nail and that revolver won't ever go anywhere as long as I'm around. It is a better shooter than either Model 19 that I sent away.

Armybrat

And I will gladly adopt anyone’s overrated Colt SAA and Ruger wheelguns. Will even pay overnight shipping so as to get the horrid things out of their sight ASAP. :)

Model12Win

Colt 1911.

Sure. Good handgun, but antiquated design. Much better options these days, even in .45.

Really have to disagree with those listing the S&W Model 19 as overrated. It is simply the best combination of power, ergonomics, and size every combined into a general duty revolver.
Antiquated design?

Funny. I sure don't think the U.S. Marines still pack and double-action revolvers. THOSE are obsolete.

Certain units still carry 1911s (Colt M45A1) FWIW.