-LEGENDARY- handguns that you think are over-rated

tallball

My inexpensive "GI" 1911 has never malfunctioned in the five or so years that I've owned it.

My three Glocks have pretty good triggers and I shoot them well.

My Browning Hi-Power is actually a Hungarian clone. The trigger is so-so, but in the 30 years that I've owned it, the only time it's malfunctioned is when I tried to feed it a $5 box of Chinese 9mm ammo. I am 6'6" with very large hands. It fits my hands well. My neighbor is 5'6" with stubby finger even for his size, and it's also comfortable for him.

I have several S&W Wesson K-frames. The K22 Masterpiece is well-named. The Model 14 is very nice. The ancient M&P is about as good as you would expect for a revolver that's over 100 years old and has been shot a whole lot - the sights are tiny and the trigger is a bit stiff, but it goes bang every time and shoots where you point it.

No one has convinced me so far. :)

Last edited:

Cheapshooter

I had a Colt 1991A1 that was heavily customized by Alchemy Custom (now out of business) but quite reputable.
That was the problem, not the design. I refuse to say the legendary 1911 is over rated. But the expensive custom, and high end manufacturer 1911's with there fine fit, finish, and close tolerances are very over rated. If a 1911 don't rattle when you shake it, it ain't reliable. If it ain't reliable it isn't worth the money you paid for it.

603Country

I’ve had a Python for almost 40 years. A wonderful shooter. Great SA and DA trigger pulls. Has Pachmayer grips now. It isn’t for sale, so I don’t care if it’s considered overpriced. Recently I bought a S&W 686 Plus, and it had to go to the gunsmith to be as smooth as the Python, and it’s a nice revolver but it’ll never be as pretty as the Python.

As for accuracy, I’ll say that in SA the two guns are equally accurate with me shooting. In DA the Python is much easier to shoot accurately.

amd6547

I find it a specious post.
These supposedly overrated handguns have been tested and found suitable in the crucible of war...issued to amateurs, and chosen by experts.
They shoot just as well today. I owned and carried several HiPowers over the years. Not a jam or malfunction with any of them...not the pitted ex-Nazi, not the Chinese Inglis, not the FEG clone. Certainly not the ‘73 Belgian. They all worked.
The British SAS made quite a name for themselves with the HiPower. Overrated? I don’t
think so.
The same could be said of all the weapons listed.

FITASC

Where these guns fail the test is when we apply them to modern gun fighting theory including double shot tactics and being over run by aggressors.

But who really finds themselves in this "fighting" scenario?

rock185

I've owned several of the handguns mentioned, and can't honestly say that any of those "Legendary" guns were overrated. They did not get to be legendary because of full color magazine ads or Facebook likes. They became legendary due to their performance over time.

kozak6

Glock. Cheesy plastic sights, a (stock) trigger resembling that of a staple gun, and ergonomics firmly stuck in the 1980's.

Look, the grip is plastic. It can be molded into almost any shape. Why not one for human hands? And the "modular" grip is so lazy. It like it's only intended to check a box to qualify for a contract rather than actually being a usable feature.

hemiram

1911's. Don't want one again. I don't understand their pricing at all.

Ruger double action revolvers. Ok guns, but they are seriously looked challenged.

And nearly all of the Glocks and it's clones. I don't get the striker gun love, and I don't get the Glock love most of all.

jonnyc

First, I agree with all those who spit on your inclusion of the Hi-Power.

Next, I would add anything marked "Kimber".

Nathan

Glock DID NOT invent the 'safe trigger.' Google the Iver Johnson 'safe trigger' revolver.....1890's

I agree. They invented the logic behind it. That is, our customers are so ignorant and poorly trained that they cannot be trusted to engage and disengage a manual safety. This is point 1.

Point 2: These same customers can be taught to keep their finger off the trigger 100%, except when actually shooting.

Point 3: Any AD or ND that occurs is then the result of shooter error and the company/design has no ownership in these. These occur on a regular basis, but are always found to be shooter error. An anomaly.

Point 4: Create a fan club to “carry your water” on these points!

Nathan

But who really finds themselves in this "fighting" scenario?

I totally agree. Once I gave up that every gun in my safe was a fight to the death fighting weapon, I started to buy more fun guns like blued 1911’s and blue s&w revolvers.....and 22’s! 22’s are fun!

Wag

"Popular" doesn't equal "Legendary."

I'd never call Glocks legendary. Popular, yes. And crappy, in my never-to-be-humble opinion.

Speaking of opinion, we are generally expressing opinion, of course! :)

--Wag--

GarandTd

I can't single out models. I feel like most mainstream manufacturers are overrated. What I mean by that, is that many of them are riding on the coattails of their historical reputations, but their current productions don't even come close.

TXAZ

"Popular" doesn't equal "Legendary."

I'd never call Glocks legendary. Popular, yes. And crappy, in my never-to-be-humble opinion.

Speaking of opinion, we are generally expressing opinion, of course! :)

--Wag--
The google dictionary says:
leg·end·ar·y
ˈlejənˌderē/
adjective

1. of, described in, or based on legends.
2. remarkable enough to be famous; very well known.

Under that definition, glocks are clearly a legend to most gun aficionados, if not a blessing to budgeting authorities.

TruthTellers

Mauser C96. The grip and trigger and sights on that thing are awful.

Colt Python. It's a revolver, there are many .357 revolvers out there that perform as well or better for less money.

1911. Big, heavy, and you only get 8 shots. Be better off with an N frame .357.

Glock. I own Glocks, I like Glocks, but the way they've been portrayed in movies and TV you'd think they're the greatest pistol ever. They're not, but depending on what price you get it for, it's pretty good, just not world changing.

jr24

I guess I never put the Glock in Legendary status.

Ubiquitous maybe, but not legendary.

But I do like them, simple, reliable, light, consistent.

Kinda like hammers

RickB

Only for their reputation for "pointing like extending your finger toward the target", I'll say the Luger and the SAA; neither is very comfortable, and compared to most modern handguns, feel so different that they can't be considered "natural" in feel.

Truly legendary handguns earn their reputations, so I generally won't quibble about features that didn't get in the way of a gun reaching legendary status.

I'd say there'd be more of an argument about which guns are legendary, than about which are overrated; if it's overrated, there must not be much legend?