-LEGENDARY- handguns that you think are over-rated

Ben Dover

Well, Stephen I carried one for four years. and I shot one in competition for about 10 years.
Good solid pistol, once it's been re-built, if you like single actions. I don't.

But I never thought it even case close to living up to the hype.

stephen426

Seems like you have quite a bit of experience with the 1911. What about it makes it overrated? Also, since you don't like single actions, what do you like? Striker fired guns? I am a bit of a trigger snob, so a 1911 with a nice trigger is hard to beat.

5whiskey

If a 1911 don't rattle when you shake it, it ain't reliable.

Pretty true words, and why those pesky Philippine natives are on to something. I will say that a tight toleranced 1911 CAN be reliable... I've seen it in a les baer. I just think it's much more difficult to get right.

The 1911 i guess can be overrated. If you want a duty combat handgun, there probably are better options if you have to be on the offense. As a range gun with one of the best triggers in existence, it is not overrated at all.

I have a RIA that has been flawless for several thousand rounds. 1911s can be quite reliable.

Ben Dover

I guess I say over rated primarily because of all the Jeffie Cooper hype.

The 1911 is a very good weapon. Especially for a century old design. If I couldn't get a SA/DA or a striker fired pistol, I would feel adequately armed with a 1911.

the OP was about over rated. the 1911 has been hyped as the best target pistol ever made. With enough gunsmithing, it is a very good target pistol, but far from the best ever made.

It's been hyped as the best defensive pistol ever made. In 1911, it probably was. But as soon as double action pistols became available, it was no longer in the top category.

Again, there is nothing wrong with the 1911, (I still have 2 of them) but it is an older design and is no longer in the top tier of handguns.

44 AMP

Staff
2. Desert Eagle. I mean, it’s a joke.

I've been enjoying the joke since the mid 80s in .357 and 1990 in .44Magnum. :D

I will agree that Desert Eagles are hugely over rated, but in the negative direction. Understandable, to a degree, if your needs and wants are met by a motorcycle, a dump truck is "over rated"...

As to the 1911,
It's been hyped as the best defensive pistol ever made. In 1911, it probably was. But as soon as double action pistols became available, it was no longer in the top category.
it has been over hyped for ever. Lots of things have. But do note that one man's opinion is just one man's opinion in the end. Including mine.

DA semi autos began showing up in numbers in the 1930s. They didn't put the 1911 out of business then, and haven't, yet.