Is your most carried handgun one you would prefer to defend yourself with?

Is you most carried handgun one you would prefer to defend yourself with?

• Yes

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • No

Votes: 45 51.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brit

We have lived in Orlando since 2004. Transplants from UK/Canada both my wife and I of 28 years. I with a first wife spent 3 years in Australia.

In my last 5 years in Liverpool UK, as a part-time Bouncer in Night Clubs. I was in countless fights. I was never hit, not once.

Being as I am a chatty Chap, these fights tend to get talked about. The average American male has never been in a violent fight as an adult. Just the way it is?
Liverpool UK, the early 60s, not like that.
On my last day in England, I was in an altercation, on a train, on our way to the port where we were embarking to Australia. My first week in Sydney, I was in a fight in a Pub, after attending, and getting 4 jobs!

I feel fistfight experience is great training for gunfights!
I maybe will add some to this bit of a rambling story in a while, off to supper.

Of the concealable handguns owned, is the one carried most a handgun that would be preferred to defend yourself? If not, why not. (Maybe work clothes)

For example, if I had to defend myself with a handgun my 1st pick would be either a Glock 20SF or 35.
However, my most frequently carried handgun is a Glock 23.
Although it is 2nd pick, Glock 23 still qualifies as a handgun I'd prefer in hand to defend myself.

Note:
This is a discussion of handguns, not rifles or shotguns.
In this thread, handguns like full size 1911's or a Glock 17 (examples) are concealable.
i carry my redhawk model 5050 everywhere, that is the gun i shoot best, carry best, draw best, and its the one gun that plays a strong role in any situation. 45acp moon clips for quicker reloading in more urban situations, hot loaded 45 colt rounds for the wilderness, light loads for small game, even 22 caliber inserts for.......the hell of it actually.
but there is a catch.
its a 3lb gun. on days that i have to do some house work, most recent example is dealing with my water heater, taking it in and out. on days like that, with strenuous labor, my back starts to hurt, because of all the weight concentrated in one spot. so for the next few days i would carry a glock 26 in its place. but i dont shoot it as fast, accurate, draw it as well nor does it feel as natural. now, ive set the glock up to mimick the redhawk as well as possible. by having ruger tune the trigger weight on my redhawk to match the glock trigger, both use ghost ring sights. but back to the point, for the most part, yes. i carry the gun i would be most qualified to defend myself with

Kevin Rohrer

I prefer to defend myself w/ a major caliber rifle, but will settle for an M1 Carbine.

M1carbine.jpg

gwpercle

This must be some kind of "Trick" question !

Strangest poll I've ever seen ...
It's Like ... if you can't be with the one you love ... should you love the one your with ...
Trick Question ! Trick Question !!
Gary

Pistoler0

I think that the OP's question is really interesting. It made me re-examine my (small) gun collection.

In my case, as I live in the Colorado mountains, self defense includes protection from 4-legged critters.

So the gun I would rather use in self defense is my Glock 21 loaded with 15 rds of .45 Super in an extended capacity mag.

For EDC I choose a DA/SA in 9mm with a thumb safety that locks the action when the hammer is down, as I carry AIWB and I am most comfortable with this configuration. The pistol is a 13 rd EAA/Tanfoglio Witness Polymer Compact, which is very reliable and shoots well.

I still carry the Glock from time to time. Conveniently, I can use the same IWB holsters with both of those pistols.

When deep concealment is necessary (such as when I need to wear business casual clothes for work with a tucked in dress shirt) I carry in a SmartCarry pouch holster. In this case it is always the EAA because I need to reach deep in the pants, well below the belt line, to draw the pistol and the DA/SA gives me added piece of mind.

Otherwise I carry AIWB with a hybrid holster and the gun grip is above the belt line. In these situations I sometimes carry the Glock.

Last edited:

Pistoler0

I was in countless fights. I was never hit, not once. [...] The average American male has never been in a violent fight as an adult. Just the way it is?
Liverpool UK, the early 60s, not like that.

I feel fistfight experience is great training for gunfights!
LOL really?
That must be why the Chinese military is always showcasing their recruits doing fancy martial arts moves, punching and kicking!.
Chinese military martial arts
I guess you'd think our militaries (US and UK), as we don't practice such shenanigans, are at a disadvantage with them?

I don't know about Liverpool but here in the US it is better not to get in silly fist fights unless wanting a gun shoved in the face and/or an arrest record. Not to mention that violent misdemeanor or felony charges from such fist fights will prevent someone from possessing the firearm that could save their life!

How many fist fights have you been in since you are in the US?

Yeah, you said it well: "The average American male has never been in a violent fight as an adult".
You know why? Because fist fights are for kids.

"An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

Last edited:

CDW4ME

This must be some kind of "Trick" question !

Strangest poll I've ever seen ...
It's Like ... if you can't be with the one you love ... should you love the one your with ...
Trick Question ! Trick Question !!
Gary

LOL. No, its not a trick question.

Simple hypothetical example: Someone owns a Glock 19 and a Ruger LCP 380.
They shoot the Glock 19 the best and would prefer it in hand if they had to defend themself.
Couple of different possibilities:
-They carry the 380 the most but its because its the best they can do required to wear "business casual" (tucked shirt) for work all week. Understandable.
-They can dress however they want but choose the 380 more because its less effort, or because of low "anticipated threat"; 9mm carried in areas of greater perceived threat.

Thread is a futile attempt to get those in the 2nd category to ponder / reflect on that choice. (Futile not naïve) ;)
People content in the 2nd category likely to mention rifle/shotgun despite it not being an option, specified in OP.:rolleyes:

CDW4ME

I think that the OP's question is really interesting. It made me re-examine my (small) gun collection.

In my case, as I live in the Colorado mountains, self defense includes protection from 4-legged critters.

So the gun I would rather use in self defense is my Glock 21 loaded with 15 rds of .45 Super in an extended capacity mag.

For EDC I choose a DA/SA in 9mm with a thumb safety that locks the action when the hammer is down, as I carry AIWB and I am most comfortable with this configuration. The pistol is a 13 rd EAA/Tanfoglio Witness Polymer Compact, which is very reliable and shoots well.

I still carry the Glock from time to time. Conveniently, I can use the same IWB holsters with both of those pistols.

When deep concealment is necessary (such as when I need to wear business casual clothes for work with a tucked in dress shirt) I carry in a SmartCarry pouch holster. In this case it is always the EAA because I need to reach deep in the pants, well below the belt line, to draw the pistol and the DA/SA gives me added piece of mind.

Otherwise I carry AIWB with a hybrid holster and the gun grip is above the belt line. In these situations I sometimes carry the Glock.

OP thinks you are doing well, if that matters.:cool:
Smartcarry works, I've got one.

The gun I walk out the door with is the gun I Prefer, otherwise I would not carry it. And I am totally confident in my ability to shoot it well and shoot it fast. Does not matter if it is a small 380 or 5 shot revolver.
That said, on the days when I go out to face down a gang of cartel Sicarios, I usually bring along another weapon. But that is not my usual standard Every day carry.

Train with the gun you do EDC with diligence, Frequent, moderate training/Practice. More rounds and a larger gun are not the answer to practical EDC. Gain the confidence with the gun you do carry. Again, the gun YOU choose to carry Every Day.

corneileous

How many have you ever been in a shoot out where you needed a reload ?
Leo's And Military excluded .

Not sure where you’re going with this but should I or should I not take it like you’re basically saying I’m wasting my time carrying a spare mag, worrying about how small my pistol is for ammo capacity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reloadron

Good question and the numbers are pretty evident.

Two shots is the average in self defense shootings. Some more and some less. I have 8 in the magazine and really seldom carry more rounds as I see no reason to. Like most I trust my carry gun and would be a fool not to.

Ron

swissfist

Either my Colt Agent .38spl or an IWI 941F 9mm for urban settings, woods walking or road tripping , Ruger super Blackhawk in .44 mag.

BourbonCowboy

I carry an HK VP9SK. If I had to use any of my handguns to defend myself it would definitely be the one I would pick...or my VP9. My reasons: I shoot it better than any of the others, and I'm comfortable with it.

artoo

I am now going with my Taurus G2S. 8 rounds and either a backup pocket pistol or a second mag are what I carry.

CDW4ME

Leo's And Military excluded .

I've not been in a "shootout" ever, not when I was a cop either.

I've had concealed carry over 25 years, never "needed" a single bullet for SD; that has no impact on my carry.

Is there anywhere I'd prefer a 32/380/38 in hand to defend myself rather than a Glock 19/23? No. Nope. Negative.
Look how simple that was. I'd prefer at least a Glock 19/23 in hand if I had to defend myself, wherever (it does not get reduced because I'm standing in a nice spot).
Do I carry a spare mag? Yes. Why? Because I'm not lackadaisical :D yea, more to it than that (like malfunction) but that is reason enough, for me.;)