Is your most carried handgun one you would prefer to defend yourself with?

Is you most carried handgun one you would prefer to defend yourself with?

• Yes

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • No

Votes: 45 51.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bfglowkey

RETG, I agree. Anything I holster is something I trust with my and my families life. That said, my Canik TP9SC has garnered the coveted CC spot now since I got it. Just feels right and shoots good.

Op, what's your game, man?? Regarding your initial proposition, I don't consider Glock 17 or full size 1911 model pistols particularly concealable.

It should be obvious I would prefer an AR pistol in an intermediate rifle cartridge to defend myself!
I agree. The picture presented by the OP looks so Uncomfortable. I have tried to carry larger size pistols years ago and it drove me crazy. Especially something that large inside of my pants. If I had to carry something that large it would be in a Holster. I am particular about my clothes having a proper fit. I do not like to have pants that are sized too big in the waist just for a firearm. A pistol/Revolver IMO are just convenience weapons. Given that size does not matter, I would choose a shotgun.

claydoctor

The one I would carry most likely would be my 9MM Shield Plus. If I really expected trouble, it would be my Nighthawk .45 commander and it would be in my hand.

corneileous

I’m a firm believer that a full-size handgun is always the better choice for a gun fight because simply because it’s the biggest frame for better control, holds more rounds, is generally more accurate due to the longer barrel and better grip plus your ammunition is more effective from the longer barrel.

If I knew I was going to be in a defensive situation that might turn into a gunfight, I think I’d feel better having either my full-size Beretta PX4 40 S&W or my full-size 45 Beretta PX4 over my short-barreled Springfield XDE 45 but since the XDE is lighter, smaller and fits better in my front pocket, that’s why it’s my EDC but who knows; maybe I am underestimating the short-barreled Speer Gold Dot hollow-points that Speer says are made for compact 45’s. If I am then maybe this little pistol’s only downfall would be its ammo capacity?......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Polinese

I always carry my commander slide/officer frame 1911 with a TLR 6 light on it as my EDC. I'd be more than happy in a defense situation with that. Occasionally I wear the full size.

Forte S+W

Of course not. I'm fairly certain that if folks could carry whatever they wanted without being encumbered by it, then they'd choose to carry a rifle, a shotgun, or at least a handcanon, and I'm no exception.

If I could carry whatever I wanted, then I'd probably have this strapped to my back...

attachment.php

Mossberg 590 Shockwave -- 12 Gauge

With this as a backup...

attachment.php

Heckler & Hoch USP45 Elite

lee n. field

Of the concealable handguns owned, is the one carried most a handgun that would be preferred to defend yourself? If not, why not. (Maybe work clothes)

For example, if I had to defend myself with a handgun my 1st pick would be either a Glock 20SF or 35.
However, my most frequently carried handgun is a Glock 23.
Although it is 2nd pick, Glock 23 still qualifies as a handgun I'd prefer in hand to defend myself.

Note:
This is a discussion of handguns, not rifles or shotguns.
In this thread, handguns like full size 1911's or a Glock 17 (examples) are concealable.

Convenience (small gun, light weight) beats out power and capacity. I have found that I don't consistently carry guns over a particular size and weight. Being able to pocket carry during the day is huge.

LCR.38/S&W642/Taurus605. one of them, usually.

Both Claude Werner and (IIRC) Darryl Bolke have spoken/written about practical carry for real people with real jobs who can't afford to be "made". Worth digging up.

Last edited:

totaldla

I almost always carry a PF9 because it so convenient. And because it is convenient I'm likely to have it with me. But I'm damn good with my M&P and my Kimber 1911 - neither of which are near as convenient. I got older, gave up the fantasies of stopping a platoon of terrorist ninjas, and focused instead on dissuading bad human behavior at table top distances.

Obviously IF I know I'm needing to defend myself I'm not grabbing a handgun....

Convenience (small gun, light weight) beats out power and capacity. I have found that I don't consistently carry guns over a particular size and weight.

Both Claude Werner and (IIRC) Darryl Bolke have spoken/written about practical carry for real people with real jobs. Worth digging up.
Agree, big fan of Claude Werner.

CDW4ME

I agree. The picture presented by the OP looks so Uncomfortable. I have tried to carry larger size pistols years ago and it drove me crazy. Especially something that large inside of my pants. If I had to carry something that large it would be in a Holster. I am particular about my clothes having a proper fit. I do not like to have pants that are sized too big in the waist just for a firearm. A pistol/Revolver IMO are just convenience weapons. Given that size does not matter, I would choose a shotgun.

I did say in the OP that although I prefer the 35 my Glock 23 is carried most, wherever, whenever.
10 mile bicycle ride, walk the dogs 2-3 miles, shopping, lunch out ... all with Glock 23 + spare mag.
attachment.php

attachment.php

All my pants (shorts) are sized for carrying a handgun; I've been carrying IWB over 25 years.
Shirt? I can't tolerate a snug/tight/fitted shirt - shirts pictured fit just how I like.
56txeg.jpg

Handgun size doesn't matter? It does to me.
A Glock 19 is easier to shoot quick & accurate than a Kahr PM9 - IME
Glock 23 is much easier to shoot quick & accurate than a Kahr PM40 - IME
I can't carry a shotgun while riding a bicycle, walking dogs, shopping, wherever, but a Glock 23 (or Glock 19) is easy, convenient. ;)

Attachments

• FLsummer4.jpg
    FLsummer4.jpg
    626.9 KB · Views: 293
  • FLsummer5.jpg
    FLsummer5.jpg
    479.8 KB · Views: 284

kenny53

Daily carry is M&P 9 with the M&P9c as a back up. Depending on my circumstances my preferred defensive choice will change. To dissuade a carjacker it would be my carry gun. A pack of bugged eyed wild anarchist kicking my front door in I may fall back to my Springfield Armory M1A. In the case of certain doom falling to my knees and praying to the Lord works.

To the OP.

You have started many New threads that are all similar to each other. Always with a large picture with a large pistol in your waist. Yes, you may word the New Tread differently, but it always has the same theme for you. This thread is really not about what combat weapon you would choose but just Another remake of your very fist and subsequent ThREADS about the fact that you prefer a large firearm over another's choice for a smaller practical EDC.
Now if you cannot shoot a gun like a Kahr PM 9 that is fine. But do not assume others can't. You prefer a large gun in your waist and that is fine as well. We get it.
If I were going into a combat situation I could very easily strap a shotgun to a bicycle. People have been riding horse's for years with rifles and shotguns attached. They call them scabbards.
I would not walk a dog in a area that I would need heavy fire power either.
Again, if you prefer a large Pistol IWB that is fine. It would not work for myself at all. And that should be fine with you as well.
What is more important is to become proficient with the gun you do have. Use situational awareness. Choose what combat firearm you prefer it you like and practice and train with that. I choose the Shotgun. Not for walking my dog, Plus I just like shooting them.

Last edited:

dahermit

Carrying concealed carry for me is a matter of compromise. If I anticipated actual pistol combat, I would likely carry my Colt Combat Commander in .45 ACP, or my Browning High Power in 9mm (with 15 round magazines). However, I am old and decrepit ... so I carry a S&W Chief's Special (5-shot snubbie) in a Bianchi pocket holster and hope that I will never actually need it and rationalize that my heightened situational awareness will allow me to avoid any potential gun fight. I carry this:
enhance

If I knew for sure I would need a handgun, I would carry this:
enhance

CDW4ME

To the OP.

You have started many New threads that are all similar to each other. Always with a large picture with a large pistol in your waist. Yes, you may word the New Tread differently, but it always has the same theme for you. This thread is really not about what combat weapon you would choose but just Another remake of your very fist and subsequent ThREADS about the fact that you prefer a large firearm over another's choice for a smaller practical EDC.
Now if you cannot shoot a gun like a Kahr PM 9 that is fine. But do not assume others can't. You prefer a large gun in your waist and that is fine as well. We get it.
If I were going into a combat situation I could very easily strap a shotgun to a bicycle. People have been riding horse's for years with rifles and shotguns attached. They call them scabbards.
I would not walk a dog in a area that I would need heavy fire power either.
Again, if you prefer a large Pistol IWB that is fine. It would not work for myself at all. And that should be fine with you as well.
What is more important is to become proficient with the gun you do have. Use situational awareness. Choose what combat firearm you prefer it you like and practice and train with that. I choose the Shotgun. Not for walking my dog, Plus I just like shooting them.

This thread is a question, unrelated to any prior threads.

I did not say I can't shoot a PM9 - I said a Glock 19 is easier to shoot quick & accurate; most people would likely agree.

I live in an excellent area, I carry the same handgun walking the dog as going to an area of greater "anticipated threat" (EDC).
Situational awareness is independent of EDC.
Glock 23 is my EDC which seems like a simple concept.

If you don't like my thread ignore it.

Brit

Is your most carried handgun one you would prefer to defend yourself with?
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Now this question is so easy to answer. First! Why on earth would you carry some pistol or other all the time, if it is not the one you would prefer to defend yourself with? Why do you arm yourself in the first place?

When I first started to work for my Son in his Security Company. I carried my Glock 19 Gen 4, with extended factory slide release, and the best night sights you could buy. a 4.5lb trigger was nice too. This was my IDPA Match gun, which had not malfunctioned one time in multi-thousands of factory rounds.

It is carried in a No Name Kydex holster someone had given me, outside the belt at 3-30. Very comfortable, under a Florida shirt.
I am a very good shot with it. On our yearly re-shoot, as always I was the top shot! 49 rounds are fired, the Police target is used. If all the 49 rounds strike inside the 8 ring your score is 490. I hit 2 #7 ring shots = #488.
That is not bragging, just a statement of fact.

The other side of the belt, a G17 loaded magazine, and pouch for a Surefire incredibly bright flashlight (Torch in England) I nearly always forget to put it in the dish getting on the plane.

With having as we are not doing much travelling much at this time. Florida is so much more pleasant to keep armed most of the time. The weather is the reason. When you reach for the same pistol, in the same place.
Everything fits so well, no worries.

Agree, the firearm a person carries out the door is the weapon they use to defend themselves for their preferred EDC. What the heck do people think they do this for? A fashion statement? If the OP wanted to ask what firearm would you choose for COMBAT other than a EDC then that would have been a more sensible question. Of course you would then have responses like the Sig 320, Beretta or Glock etc.
But the question in the Thread was intended for same old rhetoric constantly posted and generated by the OP to disparage his view of smaller firearms for protection. I have a hunch most people that EDC are NOT going to carry a large pistol for Practical Every Day Carry. And many will not put one IWB. I would say that is why firearm manufactures produce smaller weapons for carry.

CDW4ME

Agree, the firearm a person carries out the door is the weapon they use to defend themselves for their preferred EDC. What the heck do people think they do this for? A fashion statement? If the OP wanted to ask what firearm would you choose for COMBAT other than a EDC then that would have been a more sensible question. Of course you would then have responses like the Sig 320, Beretta or Glock etc.
But the question in the Thread was intended for same old rhetoric constantly posted and generated by the OP to disparage his view of smaller firearms for protection. I have a hunch most people that EDC are NOT going to carry a large pistol for Practical Every Day Carry. And many will not put one IWB. I would say that is why firearm manufactures produce smaller weapons for carry.

Question presented in OP asks if the handgun thats most carried is a handgun that would be preferred to defend with, of the options one has.
Poll is running about 50/50 which some might find interesting.

Obviously you disliked my prior threads and that carried over to this one, I've disparaged nobody.

I see now ...
b90e9d133f9b738e7995c01f59659849.jpg

tex45acp

I've been carrying my Wilson Combat Professional in 45acp for 15 years.
WPSAMagwell002.jpg

For 10 years it has been backed up by my KelTec PF9 in a Galco Pocket Holster
IMG_5842.JPG