in your opinion, are guns like the uzi, mac series, and tech 9s pointless these days?

i go back and forth with it quite a bit. but with the popularity of guns like the glock series and the beretta 92 series that have automatic variants, is there any real defensive reason someone would likely choose something like a micro uzi over a glock 17 with a micro roni or something?

now im not saying for CCW, of course nobody is going to conceal carry an uzi unless your on a high risk professional team protecting a high value target while wearing a suit to conceal it.

but if you were just an average joe. and you have to clear a house, or just grab a gun to bug out with.

i dont see the advantage other than the high fire rates guns like the uzis and tech 9s could achieve, but the glock 18 achieved almost twice the rounds per minute.

does anyone have any unique insight to this?

HiBC

I suppose there are some who find their UZI or Tech 9 a comfort. I'm not in their shoes.
I would not take it away from them.They seem to have made Israel safer.

A lot of folks like Pistol Cartridge Carbines. I won't argue with them.

Something like a Glock 19 can be a #1 choice for all the purposes you are speculating about. In all cases,I'm talking semi-auto.

I don't know the law,but I suspect full auto self defense gets REALLY complicated! I think you will find full auto Glocks quite rare. And expensive.

And controllability is critical. Every bullet you fire has your signature on it. Even if you did not intend to hit the neighbor kid 3 doors down through her bedroom window.
Yes,that happens.

If you are fishing for "Nobody needs a ...."

Thats not up to me to decide.

I don't know "Micro Roni" Is that Chef Boyardee?

Last edited:

Ricklin

Unfortunately

The happy switch full auto Glock pistols are far less rare than they once were.

I'm not talking Glock 18, civilian ownership don't happen with a G18.

Chinese conversion kits. Even a banger can do it, with a kit the conversion takes 10 minutes. If the selector switch is on the back of the slide, the gun is a semi auto conversion.
Not necessarily illegal conversions, new full auto guns can be built for LE sale with the right Govt. permission slips which I think is an 07 licensee.
Glock 18 has a round selector on the side of the slide for the happy switch.

SDDL-UP

When I was younger they certainly had some appeal, mostly because they were different.

These days I view firearms in a more practical light. Hanguns are great because they are small, easily carried and if needed concealed. These are the reasons people carry handguns and not rifles. I've heard it stated "Your handgun is used to fight your way to your rifle." This resonates with me. I see going from my CCW or home defense handgun directly to rifle or shotgun, not to a mini-Uzi or pistol caliber carbine.

Certainly my circumstances are not shared with a lot of you. I live in a relatively quiet, low crime, rural area. If I lived in a city or something, I could see a pistol caliber carbine, mini-Uzi, Mac-10 or such having more appeal.

Onward Allusion

Suppressive fire? Dunno, I personally think it's a complete waste of ammo even in a SD situation. I rather make every shot count - even with a 33 round stick in my Glock.

BarryLee

I could see them as part of a larger collection based on maybe their "historic significance". As a practical self-defense weapon I say, no.

44 AMP

Staff
does anyone have any unique insight to this?

I have some, but I don't think they should be considered unique.

First one is, that since May 19, 1986, no private citizen in the US has been allowed to own any full auto firearm that was not on the ATF's civilian registry list at that time.

SO, NO Glock 18, even if you can and do have other legal machineguns, because the Glock 18 (select fire gun) had not been created before the effective date of the law, and so there are none legal for private citizens to own.

Police agencies, and machine gun dealers may own them, individual private citizens cannot.

Next point, when comparing pistol size semi auto versions of SMG against handguns designed from the ground up as handguns, for just about every useful, practical thing, the "semiSMG" pistols, suck.

For cool looks, for acting out Walter Mitty type dreams, and for being the closest looking thing to an SMG that ordinary folks can still own. they're great. For accuracy, (being able to shoot them well), for weight and balance, and ergonomics they lose out to regular handgun designs.

I've had a Cobray (Mac clone) and a Tech 9 and also a semi auto Tommygun, so I have some experience with both basic styles, the "T" type (mac uzi, etc) with the magazine in the grip and the "classic SMG" style with the magazine forward and the pistol grip at the rear.

They are great guns for spray and pray, fun blasting plinking, and very impressive to people in general, but for serious shooting, PRECISE shooting, they are miserable compared to a regular pistol.

The "T" types are the worst to try and use as handguns. As carbines, with a shoulder stock they are a very different thing, but as handguns, they are miserable.

The sights usually are crap for easy, accurate shot placement. Some of them have fixed peep sights, and a small hole in a vertical plate at the back of the gun simply sucks to try and use holding the gun at arms length as a handgun.

The balance is really poor for one hand shooting. And even though they are bigger and heavier than usual pistols, FELT recoil is worse, due to their designs. The Uzi/Mac style guns with a 90 degree straight up and down pistol grip in the middle of the gun with a heavy bolt moving back and forth on top of it makes the gun "flip" or "bounce" front to rear, Up AND Down over the pivot of your grip as you shoot.

Trigger pulls generally range from poor to miserable. The Mac/Cobray style guns often have the safety located a couple inches infront of the trigger guard. It cannot be operated by the shooting hand when holding the gun in a firing grip. The safety on a Tech 9 is the bolt operating handle (push in for safe) and also cannot be worked by the hand holding the grip.

The Uzi has the safety in a convenient place (right above the grip) but suffers from the other drawbacks of the T type designs.

For any use where my life and safety are at risk, I'll choose a regular pistol over the SMG style, thank you.
For fun, the SMG types are great fun. But they aren't good choices for self defense and being only semi auto, they are inferior to their select fire "cousins" for military combat.

Simply put very, very few people can use them as well as they can use a conventional pistol.

Hope this helps...

Sarge

The original Uzi is my favorite 9mm SMG, followed by the Colt; but making any of them 16" semi-autos renders them pointless IMO.

Rob228

i go back and forth with it quite a bit. but with the popularity of guns like the glock series and the beretta 92 series that have automatic variants, is there any real defensive reason someone would likely choose something like a micro uzi over a glock 17 with a micro roni or something?

I don't really feel that anything with a go-fast switch is really practical for self defense. That, and without a folding stock of some sort it gets really hard to control, same goes for the submachine gun variants you mentioned. That being said; they are downright FUN to shoot and I have no issue at all with people owning them. I just think that if they are part of a self defense plan, you might want to come up with a better plan.

Ed4032

They always were and still are pointless. But that was never the reason people get them. They want them and they are totally so much fun!!! Almost all of my guns are pointless to someone. They are just wrong obviously.

I don't really feel that anything with a go-fast switch is really practical for self defense. That, and without a folding stock of some sort it gets really hard to control, same goes for the submachine gun variants you mentioned. That being said; they are downright FUN to shoot and I have no issue at all with people owning them. I just think that if they are part of a self defense plan, you might want to come up with a better plan.
i think alot of people are focusing on the full auto thing, that wasnt necessarily my point
however, i do think in the narrow hallways of my home, a small lightweight weapon that shoots a controllable round and isnt balls to the wall loud holds alot of value. the mini smg style guns with the mag in the grip is not something i rely on for defense, but i think it could be a good option

I suppose there are some who find their UZI or Tech 9 a comfort. I'm not in their shoes.
I would not take it away from them.They seem to have made Israel safer.

A lot of folks like Pistol Cartridge Carbines. I won't argue with them.

Something like a Glock 19 can be a #1 choice for all the purposes you are speculating about. In all cases,I'm talking semi-auto.

I don't know the law,but I suspect full auto self defense gets REALLY complicated! I think you will find full auto Glocks quite rare. And expensive.

And controllability is critical. Every bullet you fire has your signature on it. Even if you did not intend to hit the neighbor kid 3 doors down through her bedroom window.
Yes,that happens.

If you are fishing for "Nobody needs a ...."

Thats not up to me to decide.

I don't know "Micro Roni" Is that Chef Boyardee?
lol no, the micro roni is a chassis system you put your glock in to turn it closer into a rifle than a pistol. thats the best way i can describe it.
but no, i wasnt searching for a "nobody needs a _____" answer. i was more wondering if with the popularity of polymer frame semi automatic double stack handguns today have rendered these mini SMG type guns obsolete

reddog81

Were Uzi’s, tech 9’s or micro uzi’s ever that popular in the US? I had to google micro uzi to see what that was.

It seems like this question was answered 30+ years ago.

rock185

I don't have any unique insight into this, but have cleared many residences and businesses; never had to grab a gun to bug out with though. I'm very glad I was never required to carry any of those types of pretend SMG semi-autos, a pistol installed in a "chassis system", a mares leg, AR "pistol", etc. Other than as range toys, and/or an attempt to impress friends/associates/other shooters, etc., pretty pointless IMHO...ymmv

FWIW, from what I've seen on the internet, being noticed at the range due to one's specially colored, painted, flamed, or modified firearm with all manner of gadgets mounted of course, seems to have become a thing. Also seen mention of enjoying loads with greatest muzzle flash and blast due to being noticed by other shooters. I guess I'm not doing it right, because nobody seems the least bit interested in my guns or ammunition at the range;-)

jetinteriorguy

I don't have any unique insight into this, but have cleared many residences and businesses; never had to grab a gun to bug out with though. I'm very glad I was never required to carry any of those types of pretend SMG semi-autos, a pistol installed in a "chassis system", a mares leg, AR "pistol", etc. Other than as range toys, and/or an attempt to impress friends/associates/other shooters, etc., pretty pointless IMHO...ymmv

FWIW, from what I've seen on the internet, being noticed at the range due to one's specially colored, painted, flamed, or modified firearm with all manner of gadgets mounted of course, seems to have become a thing. Also seen mention of enjoying loads with greatest muzzle flash and blast due to being noticed by other shooters. I guess I'm not doing it right, because nobody seems the least bit interested in my guns or ammunition at the range;-)
I’d prefer people would notice how accurately I can shoot, so obviously I tend to go unnoticed.

stinkeypete

If it’s not accurate, I don’t find it interesting.

That’s not entirely true; I like craftsmanship in blued metal and hardwood as well. Even craftsmanship in stainless can be good, maybe even nickel plated if old and classic.

My sentiments go with those above regarding props for fellas with the ridiculous fantasy that they are special ops heroes. I feel they should dress up like fat old cowboys and shoot around common sense old-west stage sets- which is so patently silly, pards, that it come full circle to sensible.

hammer jockey_91 said:
however, i do think in the narrow hallways of my home, a small lightweight weapon that shoots a controllable round and isnt balls to the wall loud holds alot of value. the mini smg style guns with the mag in the grip is not something i rely on for defense, but i think it could be a good option
I must be mising something. The Uzi is available in multiple chamberings, including the 9mm Parabellum and .45 ACP. The Mini Uzi is 9mm.

How is 9mm or .45 ACP fired from a faux SMG less loud than the same round fired from a 1911 or a Glock?