HK.....as good as they say? Worth the money?

Mark54g

Ian,

I don't mean to sound harsh, but you sound like you may not know exactly what you are talking about. While your choice of gun and caliber is up to you, I think it is very shortsighted to say some of the things you did.

First off, 9mm is not crappy. You may not like it, but that is simply opinion.

Secondly, CZs are only "el cheapo" in price. Their quality is up there with guns that are >150% their cost. Perhaps firing one would show you that. In handling the Springfield XD, I never thought them to feel cheap (besides being made of plastic). That is all subjective, though.

As for the PX4, they are coming in .45ACP very soon.

Kermit

IF it was only about price, we'd all own Hi Points :confused: But it's not - it's also about ergos, accuracy, reliability, dependability, druability & even about what's cool. For me, HK consistently excels in all these catagories, that's why I say yes, the cost of membership is worth it! :cool:

gac009

Ok granted the Glock seems to be more reliable when filled with sand than the HK. What makes the Glocks more reliable than the HK? What is Glocks secret? I mean why can a Glock do all of that and no other pistol can?

Ian2005

gac009

You starting to drift from the topic. I doubt any of us will bury our pistols in sand, then retrieve them an fire. Yes any gun will fire a bullet just like most cars will get you from A to B. The difference is craftsmenship. And yes, H&K is going to be better than most.

buzz_knox

Has HK fixed their customer service/parts supply issues? Even military/LE units were having problems getting spares from HK, let alone civilians.

givo08

I'm not an HK owner, but I'm pretty objective when it comes to guns and don't really have any brand loyalty.

The biggest "pro" to HK guns imo is the different trigger systems you can get. DA/SA with decocker, left handed or right handed controls, LEM, etc. There are 9 variants of trigger system that you can either buy the gun with or send it to HK to have it changed for you. If you appreciate plastic guns, these are nice options to have. Most plastic guns only have 1 light DAO type trigger system.

Compared to glocks (which we compare every plastic gun to) I would not say they are more reliable or more accurate unless you get one of the upgraded USP's like the tactical or expert or mark 23 that run you $1000+. If you put that kind of money into a USP though you could just put a match barrel in a glock and make it just as accurate.

One of the biggest "cons" to the HK platforms besides cost in my opinion is lack of a standard light rail. That means you need either a special attachment or an HK brand light to hang from it. The new HK45 and HK P30 that are coming out this year have a standard light rail though.

shield20

If you do some research you will be able to find out WHY the HK cost a bit more. The polymer frame is loaded with stainless steel inserts. ALL metal parts are coated - outside metal surfaces are protected by a nitro-gas carburized black oxide finish. Internal metal parts are coated with a Dow Corning anti-corrosion process.
Reliability is 100% with great chamber support, great sights, great ergonomics, a true disconnect, recoil buffer engineering that works, swappable backstraps, massive extractor, ambi slide release, etc. etc. etc.

The P2000/LEM models are simplified over the traditional USP with less parts, the USP offers options and more options.

The only pistol that comes close as an overall package is the P99, and that won't feel as solid as the Hk, and felt recoil will be a bit more - esp. in .40.

Jason_G

Ok granted the Glock seems to be more reliable when filled with sand than the HK.... What is Glocks secret?

No secret, it's just striker fired, so there's no external hammer. If mud and sand gets between an external hammer and the firing pin, it's obvious that the gun's probably not going to fire. As far as reliability/durability of H&K goes, they are great. I love mine so much, I wouldn't dream of putting sand in it ;) . (rib, rib)

Jason

STAGE 2

HK all the way. And for those of you who put all your apples in the "torture test" barrel, check out Larry Vickers and his results testing both the glock and USP in sandy and dirty environments.

To pharaphrase, it wasn't gastons toy that was still going bang.

rellascout

I would have to say no. I owned a USP 9mm Fullsized for less than a month. It just did not fit my hand and I hated the grip. It felt like a 2" X 4" in my hand.

I really tried to like it but in the end they are not for me.

Pistola Pedro

Another "aye"

I owned a USP9 and had to sell it due to a money shortage. First of all it was a great pistol. Accuracy, reliability, user friendliness and such were all top of the line. Secondly it just had a feel to it that I can't describe but just felt high-quality. I researched hard to find something that was like it but cheaper when I finally got some money to replace it. I ended up with the P99AS and it is a great pistol, but it doesn't have that same whatever-it-is to it that just makes it feel super solid top-of-the-line-quality. I also used it for a year and only lost 10% upon resale. Not bad.
Pete
P.S. My P99 does rock though!

Greg Bell

Torture tests really don't tell you much. I am trying to do a realistic "torture test" on my P2000. I get a lot of requests to sink it in mud, etc, but that doesn't interest me. A real "torture test" involves shooting, plain and simple. I treat my P2000 like a service pistol should be. It is exposed to water and dirt, but I am not going to shoot it, or freeze it in ice, or drop it from a plane, etc. I now clean the gun every 5-600 rounds (every weekend). Sometimes I will let it go longer, but I don't think shooting it without cleaning is a fair, or even useful test of a gun. I want to know how tough the gun is under realistic conditions, YMMV.

P1010024.jpg

Pedro,

The Walther P99 is one of the most underrated handguns around. I loved mine to death, and sold under duress!

Ian2005

H&K Official Notice

I just called their corporate office and..

The H&K HK45 will be available in April

The H&K HK45 Compact will be available in July

-WooHoo-! And as for their Customer service? I had a super nice lady answer the phone and provide me that information. Looks like my purchase will have wait a few months.

///Must control excitment //// :D :D :D

<<editing for correct name>>

Last edited:

Lord_Nikon

Hey Ian2005, the USPs have been available for years now, you probably mean the HK45s. If so, I'm going to be broke by May. :D

The Body Bagger

HK all the way. And for those of you who put all your apples in the "torture test" barrel, check out Larry Vickers and his results testing both the glock and USP in sandy and dirty environments.

Really? Then how about the link I posted on the first page? For another frame of reference check out Chuck Taylors Glock G17; 400,000+ rounds.....

Ichiro

Seems like the Glocks, Sigs and HKs are kings of the hill in durability and reliability.

As such, they've got a reputation to up-hold and I'd be pretty angry if I had to send one back for service.

"Yes, ma'am. I packed it in super glue and stored it in the freezer for a week. Yesterday, I dragged it behind my car from a rope for the 30-mile drive to the range. I then taped it to the bottom of my shoe and walked across the parking lot until I got inside. When I took it out of its case, I removed all of the springs from the gun and inserted a loaded magazine as far as I could, about half-way. That's right, ma'am, yes. It failed to fire. I paid a thousand dollars for a gun that won't fire!"

gac009

You starting to drift from the topic.

Its my topic ;)

The P2000/LEM models are simplified over the traditional USP with less parts

The P2000sk is the one Im looking at. Since its a simlified design, how would you say it compares with the USP? Just as good?

The biggest "pro" to HK guns imo is the different trigger systems you can get. DA/SA with decocker, left handed or right handed controls, LEM, etc.

This what drew me to them. The sub compact SA/DA w/decocker.