HK.....as good as they say? Worth the money?

gac009

So in looking for a good price on an MK40, I come across a HK P2000sk V3. The clerk at the gunstore puts one in my hands and it feels great. I love the position of the decocker too.

Anyways Ive always thought HKs to be overpriced, what do you guys think? Are they?

Also how do you feel about the quality of the HK, do they last? Do they wear out soon or become loose or scratch up? Anything like that? Are they as good as they say?

("they" being the occasional person who post about how much he likes his USP on every other Glock thread :p )

AutoPistola

Never owned one, but I think are overprice by a bill or two. For that extra dough, you get german engineering, H&K tactical "mystique", a nifty recoil-reduction system, and a sweet trigger. The models you mentioned probably have good ergonomics as well (compared to the USP).

I personally would really like a .45USP w/tactical barrel & hi-caps, but I can't justify spending $800+ for a polymer gun with spartan ergonomics. The grip is a stretch for my long fingers, feels bad in the "Y" of my hand, and is too slab sided. If it had a better (or improvable) grip, I'd have no qualms about coughing up $600 for a new one.

Instead, I just bought another Ruger P97 and added the must-have hogue grip. Now I have 16+2rds. of 45 ACP for the price of a USP45!! The P97 gives the USP a run for the money in terms of combat accuracy, 3-dot sights, and reliability.

gac009

Auto- good responce. Thanks. How would you feel about HK for CC, at 800+?

I had hoped that there was something about them that made them cost more to make and not just more expensive "just because".

Greg Bell

Anyways Ive always thought HKs to be overpriced, what do you guys think? Are they?

No. As with everything else, you get what you pay for. Are they the best "value" gun? No, but a Porsche isn't a good "value" car either.

Also how do you feel about the quality of the HK, do they last? Do they wear out soon or become loose or scratch up? Anything like that? Are they as good as they say?

Top quality, durable, good as they say.

UrbanCowboy

I think they are. In the past year or so I have bought a P2000, P2000sk, USP9c Stainless and a USP 45CT. All of mine have been flawless and seem to wear less than most other guns. After 2100 rounds the SK looked like it was hardly shot. It remained tight and accuracy was excellent. If you ever decide that you want to sell or trade one they are much easier to get rid of. I only have the USP's now because H&K doesn't offer a .45 in the P2000 series. When the HK45 & P30 come out I will get those as well.

SOSARMS

I may be a little biased, but i feel that the H&K quality and workmanship is second to none.....My P7M13 is my prime carry weapon of choice.
That being said, My ex brotherinlaw, who is in the FBI, had an H&K MP5 as his assigned weapon, but recently had to give it up to something else, I believe in 40 cal. When i asked him about it a couple days ago, his comment was that the H&K was an excellent weapon, but the repair costs were outrageous....

18DAI

The short answer to your question, is yes. As to the HK's being overpriced, I've got three USP's bought one used, and two NIB. I bought all three at the local Police supply, and paid below $600 OTD, for each one. The last one being the fullsize 40, two years ago. I frequently see deals on the auction sites, and USP's in the $575 to $625 range new and used. I've also seen them at gunshows for the low $500's.

As to the dismal HK customer service you hear so much about, I wouldn't know. In eleven years of owning/using HK's, I've never needed them. I've also shot all mine, out of the box with zero problems or malfunctions. Only malfunction I've experienced with them, was recently, and ammo related. So in my experience, and opinion, they are worth every penny. YMMV. Regards 18DAI.

PSP

Does someone make a better weapon? If so who? My HKs are the best guns I own...period, and yes I own a few. In this case you get what you pay for, supurb machining, the best steel, accurate polygonal (usually) barrels, and utter reliability. They aren't pretty, except for the P7, but they work without fail.

AutoPistola, not to be critical but, if you've never owned one, why comment on it?

Striker1

I bought a USP40 ($400) when they first came out. It was a good handgun, but a bit on the large side for my needs. Accuracy wasn't that great, but the .40S&W wasn't known for accuracy then.

I traded it for a G23 which to me was more size efficient, but never warmed up to the Glock grip and trigger. Needless to say I got rid of it too.

For what it is, I think the USP is over-priced for a plastic gun...especially these days. If I were going to get one I would look for pre-owned that hadn't been messed with by some dremel tool guunsmith.

I don't think it represents $200-300 dollars in extra value over other top plastic weapons.

I don't lump the P7 in with the USP, totally different animal.

By the way, the most accurate .40 I've ever fired is the CZ75B.

RevolverLover

Yes, they are as good as they say and worth the money. By the way, I paid $475 for my slightly used USPF9 with ns at my local LE FFL. If I remember right, CDNN had some good deals on HK's you might want to check out.

solz56

I have two and they've been great. You do pay a premium, but IMHO the reputation and pricepoint are justified by the performance, reliability, and engineering. You can't go wrong with a HK. However, if you don't have the budget for a HK there are plenty of other fine handgun choices available.

Syntax360

They are great pistols - fit and finish is superb, accuracy is top notch, they are absolutely unstoppable, and put a smile on your face every time you pull the trigger. Having said that, I think Sig's are on par with HK quality and probably money better spent. The finish is the only place where Sig might not match HK, but the triggers are much, much better. Everyone should have at least one of each.

Jason_G

I think they are well worth the money. I wouldn't trade my USP .45 for any other out-of-the-box handgun, except maybe a USP .45 tactical. Heckler & Koch makes great guns, both handguns and long guns. You won't be disappointed in terms of the quality, not unless you just happen to buy that one-in-a-million lemon that slips through quality control (I don't know of anyone who's gotten an H&K lemon, but I'm sure it's bound to happen to all manufacturers once in a while). The only gripe I have with them is the 10 round "civilian" mags for the USP. They break, but the normal 12 rounders are great mags.
They make tough reliable weapons that are made to stand up to field conditions, as well as provide superb accuracy. The only other manufacturer IMHO that provides similar quality handguns is Sigarms. When I bought my H&K, I had narrowed my choices to the Sig P220 and the USP .45. They are both similarly priced, as well. You see which one I bought (although I might pick up a P220 soon, too).

EDIT: FWIW, the post above mine, by Syntax360, was made while I was typing mine, I didn't see it until I had already posted. Their similarity ought to tell you something ;)

Jason

Last edited:

Ian2005

H & K Choices

In my narrowing down all of what pistols and which would be my first, I spent no less than 5 hours at a gun show Saturday trying to decide. Origionally I had been turned onto H&K being a lefty and thought I could get a USP 45 with a slide release on the right side - this is not possible. Only the 2000 in crappy 9mm have that option. So I figured I might as well look at normal right handers again - so I was close to an Springfield XD or perhaps their 1911's, but the XD just started to feel cheap, a bad replica of the Glock, and yes I know it's won all sorts of awards and is a great gun, I just think it's just not crafted that well. In toying around and racking slides, flipping safety's, playing with actions, the fit and finish is really hands down better on the H&K. Is it worth the extra $200-$300? Who knows. The expense continues in that everything costs more too for H&K. I saw new extra mags available for like $49, when I could get others for as low as $8. And I have shot a Glock 21 before, and golly is there a lot of Glock items / support / products out there, like flooding the market for them, but you know, it's just too utilitarian for me. Personal choice. Others mentioned the Sig, but I think it looks funky, same as the Browning. CZ are el cheapo, If the Beretta PX4 came in .45 that would be considered, but I am not a 9mm fan. So all in all, I think I like the H&K USP45 Compact. That seems to be good. The large one is nice but in a strange way, it kind of seems hollow. The Compact actually feels a little heavier and more stable. Gun show prices for it ranged from $645 to $749 NIB. Do I still have a clear decision - no. Do I wish I could just go to the range already - yes. :confused:

Greg Bell

Dude, just buy a P2000 in .40 if you aren't man enough for 9mm.:p

Seriously, if you really have size issues, the HK.45 will be out soon and it is totally ambi.

Jason_G

Seriously, if you really have size issues, the HK.45 will be out soon and it is totally ambi.
Don't hold your breath. I'd like to see it hit the market, but par for the course thus far, the Army can't decide on what they're going to do about the handgun situation. Right now the plans to switch from the M9 to a .45 ACP are on hold indefinitely. H&K may scrap the HK45 last I heard. It's pretty much just an ambi USP .45 with 10 round mags. I'd just get a USP .45 or P2000 in .40.
The only thing that can't be made ambi on a USP is the slide catch. You don't need that anyway, just rack the slide by hand. It's really the better thing to do anyway. If TSHTF, you may or may not have the fine motor skills to hit the lever. Your gross motor skills won't fail you. Rack the slide by hand, just don't ride it or slingshot it and you'll be fine.

Jason

Last edited:

Ian2005

Appreciate the advice. I can't stand the .40, too snappy. Perhaps it feels different out of an H&K versus a Glock but I didn't find it a fun shooter; thats another bag of works I know. And Im not interested in .357 - my choice. Yes, I'll probably just wait for the .45 / ambi. Some have said spring, others have said end of the year, so who knows when that's coming.

Greg Bell

Jason,

Don't hold your breath. I'd like to see it hit the market, but par for the course thus far, the Army can't decide on what they're going to do about the handgun situation. Right now the plans to switch from the M9 to a .45 ACP are on hold indefinitely. H&K may scrap the HK45 last I heard. It's pretty much just an ambi USP .45 with 10 round mags. I'd just get a USP .45 or P2000 in .40.

Dude! HK released it at SHOT.:D Go ahead and hold that breath.;)