Henry Big Boy Revolvers

Pumpkin

It reminds me of a New Service or old Trooper, which I like but with a Thunder grip? The brass detracts from the gun, should have just copied the old Trooper 357 for the look. Exposed ejector rods look old school and are fine with me. In the end, it’s a little strange and in no way should be priced the same as a GP100 or 686.
Of course, I never liked their brass tube feed center fire lever guns and they sell just fine so what do I know.

Last edited:

VictorLouis

... heavier than I expected and felt very solid; did not care for the fixed sights. Very odd looking and feeling to me, especially the brass back strap/trigger guard on a modern DA revolver. Kind of RG Steam Punk styling to me.

I agree, especially the horrible fixed-sights. I handled the one with the normal grip, not the birdshead. However, it seemed to have a nice DA-pull.

The brass detracts from the gun,
Exposed ejector rods look old school and are fine with me. In the end, it’s a little strange and in no way should be priced the same as a GP100 or 686.

Agreed. The crane is shielded in the manner of Charter-Arms, so that's a plus with an exposed rod. These are definitely too highly-priced for what they bring. With a decent set of adjustable sights, stainless steel, and a steel grip-fame.....maybe...

Obambulate

Anybody seen what a classic blued, nickel or stainless fixed sight S&W K-frame goes for these days - if you can find them? The Models 10, 13, 64 and 65 have been hot for a while.

ballardw

Anybody seen what a classic blued, nickel or stainless fixed sight S&W K-frame goes for these days - if you can find them? The Models 10, 13, 64 and 65 have been hot for a while.
Yep. Just saw a local ad for one Model 19 that is more than I paid for two. I will admit that I bought mine more than a couple of years ago but ...

44 AMP

Staff
IN 2019 a basic McDonald cheeseburger was $1.09 +tax
the one I bought last week was $2.79 tax included....:eek:

NOTHING is as cheap as it used to be....or so it seems..

Lurch37

IN 2019 a basic McDonald cheeseburger was $1.09 +tax
the one I bought last week was $2.79 tax included.

Was that for a basic cheeseburger or a Quarter Pounder? :D

BTW, there is a chance, in the near future, where I might be able to handle and shoot one or both of the Henry Big Boy Revolvers. If so, I will post any revelations that I can come up with.

44 AMP

Staff
Was that for a basic cheeseburger or a Quarter Pounder?

The basic burger, NOT the 1/4 pounder. And, interestingly enough, the price was from the 2015 menu listing. During the 4 years between 2015 and 2019 the menu prices didn't change.

Now, here we are, 4 years after 2019, and the price has more than doubled, almost tripled. What makes now so much different from then??

Covid (and the way it was dealt with) "panicdemic"?? an election, changing leadership from R to D?? Chicken Little in charge of headline news, and worse, people believing it?? something(s) else??

'm tending to believe the Chicken Little theory, seems like EVERYTHING is a world ending crisis these days, so best jack up prices and make as much as you can now, before the world ends!!!

Not that it will matter how much money you have if the (or just your) world ends. When the game is over, the King, and the pawns go into the same box.

I'm sure you'll find the Henry revolvers well made. Henry knows how to make decent guns. I think it boils down to, do they have the features you want, at a price you find acceptable.

For me, and based only on seeing some pictures, they don't. Someone else might have the exact opposite opinion, and neither of us is wrong.

gwpercle

I want to like it ... I like most of Henry's Lever action rifles ...

But there is just something ... not right ... My first impression was
RG + Charter Arms + H&R ... I want to like it but ... I'm sorry ...
My gut is telling me ... It's Wonky Looking !

Then I saw the gun test ... 5 -357 magnum loads and 5 38 special loads
average 5 shot group 3.0 inches (magazine said 2.99" groups but they were being nice ) the groups weren't that good .
Then the price $960.00 .... I'm sorry that dog ain't going to hunt .

I was tickled pink with my $199 Ruger Wrangler and I've not fired the first live ammo out of it ... I got some nice faux stag grips ... and I just love the way it Looks !

If Henry would have asked ... I would have helped them design a gun that at least looked good and not charged a dime ... I was a building designer for 47 years and know when something looks good and when it looks Wonky ... How did they get it so wrong .
Bill Ruger was a great designer ... most of Rugers guns looked good .
Gary

R_P_K_

If they wanted old school, a Schofield design for modern calibers would probably have been a better idea. It's basically an amalgamation of the cheapest and ugliest designs ever. I just can't believe the design ever got signed off on. I honestly wouldn't buy one at a $150 price point. I'm sure it's quality built but dang

Terribly UGLY gun at a HIGH price. For what they want you could get a Ruger or S&W. Henry's revolver looks like a cross between an RG and a Rohn..........I wouldn't take one if it was free.

Ricklin

No doubt skipper, my mom fed us three growing boys and herself at Mickey D's and got change back from a five spot.

Pumpkin

A Schofield copy would be pretty cool! And if they wanted to copy a classic semi auto (I know, revolver forum) how about a modern investment cast Broom handle or Luger?

44 AMP

Staff
First off, the Schofield is an SA TOP BREAK revolver design. which means extensive (and expensive) design and engineering to allow a "copy" to handle modern calibers, even briefly.

And it would be briefly. There aren't any modern top break revolvers in magnum rounds for a reason. Actually many reasons, and all of them working against commercial sales success, once the "new" and "novelty" factor wears off.

Lack of market, the need for a high enough price point to not lose money because of the complex work needed just to make the top break, along with the fact that they are not solid frame and the hinge and latch points are weak spots are just some of them.

Many of the same arguments also apply to "modern" reproductions of complicated classic semi autos such as the Broomhandle and Luger. Even with CNC and investment casting the price to make them is more than the market will bear, They are novelty, niche guns these days, and the bulk of the buying public isn't interested enough.

I'm sure the Henry revolver is mechanically sound, but I think they misread the buying public's appreciation for the style they chose and the price point simply isn't attractive compared to long established (and loved) designs like S&Ws.

Lurch37

I'm sure the Henry revolver is mechanically sound, but I think they misread the buying public's appreciation for the style they chose and the price point simply isn't attractive compared to long established (and loved) designs like S&Ws.

I was in the local Sportsman's Warehouse the other day and spotted one of the Big Boy pistols and was able to look one over finally. The story was that a guy special ordered it, but then backed out for whatever reason so now they have it. It had a nice heft to it and was finished in the typical great Henry quality. I believe the price was $779. It really didn't do much for me looks wise and to make matters worse it had the birdshead grip which doesn't fit my hand very well at all. I wouldn't mind holding one with the gun fighter grip just to see if it felt better but still, I don't find the style very appealing to me.