Henry Big Boy Revolvers

FrankenMauser

I wouldn't say the Remingtons were satisfactory. The bolt, receiver, and action bars eat each other to death after a bit of use, just like the Remington autos - much like, but more so than Winchester 1200 shotguns.

The .38/.357 cartridges are proof that God loves us, and you can never have too many.
As unpopular as my opinion is, I'd rather skip .35 caliber.
Give me .32 H&R or .44 Special.
9mm would be 'okay'.
But I'd rather just skip .35 cal.

(Still overpriced, though.)

Jim Watson

I was talking about the Remington pumps of yore, designed by John Pedersen, the models 25 and 14 1/2 for revolver calibers.

bedbugbilly

I applaud Henry for adding new products. I'll reserve my judgement on their new revolver until I see and handle it in person. Some like Chevy, some like For. This will appeal to some and not to others - to each their own.

Like several others have stated - I just wish Henry would step up production of some of their current models that seem to be hard to get. I have tried to get/find a single shot Henry in 30-30 for a couple of years. The various gun shops I have attempted to buy one through all tell me they have trouble getting them and to be patient. I fully understand the problems the pandemic created, but if you are not able to produce current models to insure a fast and ample supply for demand, then why introduce new models?

44caliberkid

“ I have tried to get/find a single shot Henry in 30-30 for a couple of years”

There are six of them on gunbroker right now. If I waited on local shops to get what I wanted, I wouldn’t have bought anything in the last 5 years.

Cosmodragoon

This looks cool and old-timey but it's not for me. I'm not a brass guy and I like placing my hand lower for a straighter pull in double action.

I'm happy to see Henry doing more stuff. They are a great company. Like someone else said though, I do kind of wish the side-gate lever actions were in greater supply. I've been meaning to pick up an all-weather that way for a while now.

I'm also excited to try the new Homesteader in 9mm.

rodfac

Mike Irwin: "Offspring of an H&R that was unwillingly bred with a Colt that had an STD."
Someone on another forum also said it reminded him of Charter Arms, as well. I have to agree with that. Overall, I have to say... BLEH! as to the looks and that I'm not at all interested given the pricepoint."
Well said, Mike...my thoughts exactly. Rod

stuckinthe60s

korth had pull forward rods too. but at 5 grand a gun...henry wins. lol.

and if I may.....for 200 bucks, id rather have an old double 9 hi standard!

44caliberkid

I’ve watched a few videos of reviews/ tests. One guy shot it with 38 Specials but never showed the target, just said it did pretty good. Another one shot a group at 7 yards that was like four inches, again 38 Specials. It always bugs me that most people testing a 357 Magnum shoot 38 Specials, with maybe one cylinder full of 357s. All of them seemed like they were not trying to say anything bad about it.

Webleymkv

Originally posted by The Happy kaboomer
Please don't offer me one for free.......I won't accept it.......Butt ugly design.

Ok, you think they're ugly, got it. You made your thoughts on the aesthetics crystal clear in post #25... and again in #47... and now again in #52:rolleyes:

44 AMP

Staff
It always bugs me that most people testing a 357 Magnum shoot 38 Specials, with maybe one cylinder full of 357s. All of them seemed like they were not trying to say anything bad about it.

Sometimes, .38 Specials do better....

One time a fellow I was shooting with had an SAA clone (I forget the brand), in .357. Shooting standard .38s, (158gr @ 850fps) it was dead on and very accurate. 4 different shooters, identical results. Switching to .357s, every shot was 2 feet low and left. 4 different shooters, identical results. :eek:

As for the Henry, I think if they had chosen ONE historical style and gone for the nostalgia market, they might have something. They didn't, the gun is a blend of styles, and that just doesn't work for me.

cc-hangfire

I like it. One day I’ll buy one. Just cause I like firearms, both to shoot and to accumulate (can’t really call the assortment that I have a collection).
I’m particularly glad to see an American manufacturer designing and introducing new designs. If nothing else, it agitates the anti-2A crowd.

Wheel-Gunner

Ok, you think they're ugly, got it. You made your thoughts on the aesthetics crystal clear in post #25... and again in #47... and now again in #52

Yeah, really!

I like it. One day I’ll buy one. Just cause I like firearms, both to shoot and to accumulate (can’t really call the assortment that I have a collection).
I’m particularly glad to see an American manufacturer designing and introducing new designs. If nothing else, it agitates the anti-2A crowd.

EXACTLY! I just don't understand the hate and borderline animosity. I don't think I'd own one, but who cares? Options are nice, especially when it comes to revolver's for heavens sake. I'd definitely like to handle and shoot one, and would temper my opinions (especially publicly) until I do so.

Last edited:

Cosmodragoon

Look, I applaud Henry for doing something new. I think that's cool. This looks interesting and I can see some people liking it. Sure, the price seems a little high but that's true for lots of things these days.

At least for me, I don't love brass, I don't like exposed back straps, and I want my grip lower for double-action shooting. So I'll pass on this one. (I do plan on picking up their new Homesteader.)

On the plus side, I don't see an ILS or big safety billboards.

44 AMP

Staff
Buy one, if you're curious, better yet, buy two. One to shoot and discover what it is, and isn't and the other to keep in the box. Put it in the safe for 25 or 40 years.
Then,
it will be in new condition when you take it out, and people will be enamored of its look, remark on how far ahead of its time it was, lament on how long it has been out of production, and offer large amounts of whatever we are using for money by then, to get their hands on it. (provided it is still legal to do so, that far in the future) :rolleyes: