Henry Big Boy Revolvers

Sarge

Leaves me a bit cold. The brass frame is a turn off for me. The birds head likewise. The external ejector rod reminds me of the 1917 or New Service, which is OK. Beef the gun up, keep the butt square, make it all blue, and chamber it in .45 Colt or 45 acp with clips, or .44 SPL and I'll be more interested.
I'd second that. Erase everything that isn't Colt Lawman/New Service-ish, and start over.

FrankenMauser

Offspring of an H&R that was unwillingly bred with a Colt that had an STD.

One of the engineers looked up from their computer, saw their "Form Follows Function" inspirational poster, and started eliminating machining operations to "purify" it.

It'll pair well with the 2x4 design principle of the Homesteader.

mk70ss

Lose the brass grip and trigger guard, offer checkered grips, and lower the price to about $500…..and maybe.

Drm50

Henry has never designed anything. I haven’t had this revolver in hand but have studied the pics a little. I think it’s a European design most likely Spanish. They do use a side plate design not the ship in a bottle type used by most cheap DA revolvers regardless of manf. I would also guess manf and materials have been tailored to cheapest production they can get away with. Personally I can’t think of a cheap revolver that has ever proven dependable and durable. I hear a 22 is planned.
Why anyone that knows a modicum about firearms would pay S&W money for a novelty gun is beyond me. My arse is already tired of stories of Rough Riders shooting just as well as a K22. I’ve never considered buying Taurus but I would give them another look before buying Henry.

Polinese

I'm with hammie I like em. Reminds me of a lot of the late 19th century, early 20th century designs, which in my opinion was when revolvers peaked aesthetically. I like the brass frame and the birds head grip. I do think the price is too high but if I ever find one when I also have the money for it, i'll bring it home.

"Offspring of an H&R that was unwillingly bred with a Colt that had an STD."

Someone on another forum also said it reminded him of Charter Arms, as well. I have to agree with that.

Overall, I have to say... BLEH! as to the looks and that I'm not at all interested given the pricepoint.

hammie

WOW! Y'all are a tough crowd. The .38/.357 cartridges are proof that God loves us, and you can never have too many. (Although in honor and deference to Mike Irwin, perhaps that same thing could be said about the .32's.) I may pick up a Henry revolver later in the year, if the chance comes along. Right now, I'm more interested in the .360 Buckhammer (of Thor, Odin's revenge, or whatever they're calling it). The .360 may have a higher priority. Anyway, to borrow from Mark Twain: "It's differences of opinion that make a horse race."

"Henry should come out with a pump rifle chambered in .357 magnum and .44 magnum. Id rather pay a grand for that. "

Now you've got my interest up.

If they were to chamber one in .32-20? I'd be first in line with a handful of cash screaming "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!"

hammie

Well, I can agree with everyone on this. A henry pump, with an exposed hammer and chambered for a rimmed centerfire pistol cartridge, would be nice. The problem would be if the pump rifle would sell. I remember the IMI .357 Timber Wolf pump rifle. If I recall correctly, it had lackluster sales, and was discontinued because of that.

jetinteriorguy

Well, I can agree with everyone on this. A henry pump, with an exposed hammer and chambered for a rimmed centerfire pistol cartridge, would be nice. The problem would be if the pump rifle would sell. I remember the IMI .357 Timber Wolf pump rifle. If I recall correctly, it had lackluster sales, and was discontinued because of that.
I think this was more due to it being priced too high. I wanted one pretty bad but they were always just priced out of reach for me. I would have to say if Henry makes one I’d go $900.00-$1000.00 for it, especially with Henry’s CS backing it. Heck, I’d probably even quit whining about the lack of availability on the side gate BBS.

Jim Watson

I wonder how well their .22 pump is selling.
That would probably inform their decision to make a centerfire. Or no, considering that I do not know anybody who has one or even seen one on the range or in the store.

Sarge

While these revolvers don't particularly appeal to me, I am anxious to see an actual shooting review of them.

Lurch37

I wonder how well their .22 pump is selling.
That would probably inform their decision to make a centerfire. Or no, considering that I do not know anybody who has one or even seen one on the range or in the store.
Today 04:34 AM

I agree, I'd like to get one of these as well, in 22mag, but have yet to see one other than on Gunbroker.

Maybe if I could ever find a Big Boy side gate in 38/357 (for a decent price), the revolver would be a fun side arm to carry along.

"I think this was more due to it being priced too high."

That was my impression, too. I sort of remember them being in excess of $1000 back in the early 1990s, and that was a LOT of money.

Wikipedia says that there were only around 1,000 in .357 and .44 Mag. imported into the US.

And be still my heart... there was a SINGLE prototype chambered in .32-20...

Mikey wants... Mikey wants BAD!

Hawg

Henry should come out with a pump rifle chambered in .357 magnum and .44 magnum. Id rather pay a grand for that.

If they do they better redesign it. Their .22 pump is a lever action converted to slide action and is rough and clunky feeling.