Henry Big Boy Revolvers

Lurch37

I saw some pics of Henry's new revolvers, looks like they are chambered in 38/357 for now. I will say they are different looking, I'm not thrilled with the MSRP price of $928 although I'm sure it will be somewhat lower.

Thoughts?

Sarge

I saw them. After deep thought and intense study, I have finally come up with something nice to say-

"At least they aren't stainless!"

Mike38

I had to go to Henry's web site to check this out. $528, sure. $628, maybe. But $928, sorry, no thanks.

Webleymkv

I don't think the price is too far out of line. MSRP on a new Ruger GP100 starts at $979 and a S&W 686 starts at $959. Remember, MSRP is usually higher than the actual retail price. I'd expect the Henry revolver to land in the high $700's to low $800's when they actually hit dealer shelves which is, again, in the same range as comparable offerings from S&W and Ruger.

44 AMP

Staff
I don't think the price is too far out of line. MSRP on a new Ruger GP100 starts at $979 and a S&W 686 starts at $959.

I'd say sure, if it were a Ruger or a S&W. Its not, its a Henry. And, its new, from a company not known for making revolvers. Its new, untested and untried by the general public. There is no "service history" like there is with Rugers and S&Ws.

They might be well made, but no one yet knows how well they will hold up and what their quirks might be. Not so with the Ruger and S&W guns.

On a strictly personal note, the styling and design features do not appeal to me.

A free standing ejector rod?? in this day and age?? Really??? :rolleyes:

They'll probably sell a bunch initially to the curious, mostly, I think. After that, who knows. Were I a betting man, I wouldn't bet on its long term commercial survival. I might be wrong, time will tell.

UncleEd

Maybe the folks at Henry not only decided
to get in on the apparent revival of
interest in revolvers but said to themselves,
"Well, if Kimber can get into revolvers, so
can we."

So far Kimber's track record has been
positive with its K6 but that firearm
reflects innovation with input from
a respected revolver guru, namely
Grant Cunningham.

And Kimber's entry was aimed at the
old love affair for the smaller 6 shot
.38s typified by the Colt D frame.

I'd like to know who was involved in
the Henry design and also see what
its innards look like.

We know the Kimber innards are a
knockoff of the S&W design but
that's fairly typical of other revolvers
except Ruger.

Even Colt in its 2020 Python directly
copied Smith's bolt/cylinder stop design.

With the Henry, the ejector rod design
makes me think a pull forward on it will
release the cylinder. But the ejector
rod throw looks small, too small even
for positive ejection of .38s.

Last edited:
https://www.henryusa.com/news/henry-reveals-first-revolvers-360-buckhammer-rifles-and-more/

Henry-BB-Revolver-1536x688.jpg

Henry-BB-Revolver-Back-356x480.jpg

I think they look great so far. I'm glad they didn't cover the ejector rod. It looks to be more robust so I don't think you're going to bend that one. I also really like the brass gripframe. It reminds me of my Colt's. I hope it's easy to disassemble so it would easily deep clean for black powder loads. Make a 45 Colt version and I'll buy it.

105kw

My first thought is that somebody crossed an RG with an old H&R from the 70s.
The price is , in my opinion, outlandish.
Too expensive and ugly for me.

MarkCO

My first thought is that somebody crossed an RG with an old H&R from the 70s.
The price is , in my opinion, outlandish.
Too expensive and ugly for me.

Price is way too high, agree. Now, if they end up being capable of 1" groups at 25 yards, maybe.

Interesting, but pass.

jetinteriorguy

Instead of constantly adding new products, I just wish Henry would step up production on their side gate lever actions so I could actually find one. I don’t really need any more new products I can’t find.

buck460XVR

I don't think the price is too far out of line. MSRP on a new Ruger GP100 starts at $979 and a S&W 686 starts at $959. Remember, MSRP is usually higher than the actual retail price. I'd expect the Henry revolver to land in the high $700's to low $800's when they actually hit dealer shelves which is, again, in the same range as comparable offerings from S&W and Ruger.

MSRP is such a subjective thing. Ruger for years has been using a high MSRP combined with a relatively low OTD price to make folks think they are getting a better deal over the S&W. "Wow, I got this here gun that is worth more, for less!"

That said, Henry makes quality firearms, that last and shoot well. I have yet to see one in person, but the fit and finish in pictures looks first class. I's like to see how they fit in my hand. The large trigger guard looks like it could be a knuckle buster. As far as the looks of the gun, it looks like a revolver and is no uglier than a Super Redhawk.

hammie

What "jet interior" said in post #13, above. I've been watching for 2 years now for a henry single shot rifle, but no luck. Let's hope henry steps up production on all their rifles.

As for the henry revolver, let me apologize in advance, but I LIKE it. I like the brass grip frame, the blued finish, and even the ejector rod doesn't bother me. I especially like the changeable front sights, which can be used to regulate the elevation for your particular load. As for the quality, 4 new henry rifles have come into the family during the past 8 years, and I've been very satisfied with the quality. I would buy a henry lever action rifle, before the ruger marlins. Prices for everything are skyrocketing, and so, I don't find the price too much out of line in the current economy. (My house insurance just went up 40 $/month, and yesterday's trip to the supermarket was shocking.)

lee n. field

I'm interested in details that aren't available yet?

Sight options? (because the pics make the rear look pretty small.)

Grip frame is separate. Can there be/will there be/are there grip frame options?

How does the cylinder lock up?

How big a deal to disassemble? (looks like the hammer will be easy. ) What parts will be available? How is drop safety handled?

bamaranger

cold

Leaves me a bit cold. The brass frame is a turn off for me. The birds head likewise. The external ejector rod reminds me of the 1917 or New Service, which is OK. Beef the gun up, keep the butt square, make it all blue, and chamber it in .45 Colt or 45 acp with clips, or .44 SPL and I'll be more interested.

Nathan

Saw one today at nra 2023. Really disinterested. Grips were awkward. Trigger pull was kind of Colt like, but way heavy and stacking.

The closest other maker would be Charter or what EAA imports.

They are a unique look and fit with other things Henry does. Folks will like them, just not me.

I handled a ton of revolvers today from Korth to Colt to Charter to what Beretta is importing. Beretta’s were the best actions, very closely followed by Korth. They are both top dollar though.

Rothdel

I have not seen anyone else call it out yet, but I wonder why they did not make these single action? I recognize double actions and single actions were both in use when lever guns were in their prime, but...... a lever gun and a single action revolver just feel like they go together more than a double action swing out cylinder.

I don't mind how they look personally. I applaud another entrant into the revolver game because competition is a good thing. I hope they are successful although I will agree they made some interesting design choices.

Wonder if Ruger or Henry ever package a lever gun with a companion piece if it would drive sales.