Help me decide on a compact carry 9mm auto

Which compact carry 9mm would you choose?

• Springfield Armory EMP

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • SIG Sauer 239 SAS

Votes: 24 19.2%
  • Para-Ordnance PDA (PXT LDA)

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • Kahr Arms PM9

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other (please recommend)

Votes: 49 39.2%

• Total voters

CortJestir

No doubt about it. And I have held one, many times, in fact (nearly every time I step into a gun store it seems!). Still too thick for what I want.

No worries, though, Glockaholics, I'm sure I will have a Glock in my collection at some point, just not for IWB CCW. ;)

DAdams

First Choice

I have PM 9. I prefer an M&P 340 .357 revolver. Yes I know....
I only pocket carry.
If I were to IWB or OWB, Walther P99c/AS in 9mm.

If you consider an EMP why not a Colt Defender or New Agent in .45?
Any of the three will have to be holstered or man bagged.
Both are less expensive with mo bang fo da buck.

Just my input.

CortJestir

If an EMP why not a Colt Defender or New Agent in .45? Any of the three will have to be holstered or man bagged. Both are less expensive with mo bang fo da buck.

A compact .45 is not out of the question, especially with the arrival of my newest handgun last week :D (more on that soon, I just need to take the pics...hehehe) As a matter of fact, I saw a steeply discounted Para PXT in .45 today for $675 NIB. It had a minor scratch and a little rusting on the slide but all the internals checked out fine. Must have been sitting in the case for a while though.

The main reason? This one does have more to do with cost (unlike the actual price of the pistol as I indicated in my OP). I don't reload and I like to practice a lot.

Smaug

DAdams - I haven't checked to see how much it costs me to reload 1000 rounds of 45 ACP. Maybe I will run it through my spreadsheet and find out? (see signature)

However, in 45 ACP, I have noticed that my reloads were much more accurate from my Ruger P90 than any factory ammo was. I would guess 30% improvement.

Recipe:

• Brass - any, but not mixed
  • Primers - CCI (probably doesn't make a difference)
  • Bullets - 225 gr. hardcast lead flat point from Meister Bullets
  • Powder - 5 gr. of Bullseye
  • OAL - sized to fit my P90's chamber with the bullet just shy of the rifling lands.

Edit1: Yikes, my spreadsheet is full of errors. I will have to edit it tonight.

Edit 2:I fixed it and ran the numbers. Assuming brass is free and my time is $0 per hour, I reload a box of accurate 45 for $8.34. The price you note comes out to $14.46 per box. That's a good price for factory ammo these days, but not in the ballpark for a reloader to consider giving it up. It costs 73% more to buy factory.

CortJestir

$280 per thousand rounds (.45 ACP) it's hard to justify reloading, unless you just like to do it.

Frankly, if I did get into reloading, I'd probably spend just as much, if not more, and shoot more. I tend to go whole hog getting into new hobbies.

So assuming I only shoot factory loads, the price of ammo is still a factor in .45 vs 9mm when you compare calibers in the same brand. But I will admit, those Georgia Arms reloads are a pretty good deal in both .45 and 9mm.

CortJestir

Update - Decided on the P239 SAS (Gen 2)

Hey everybody,

Thanks for all your input and opinions. I decided on the new SIG Sauer P239 SAS (Gen 2) in 9mm for my current carry gun this fall. It has a stainless, matte slide and black Nitron frame, dehorned edges, SIGLite Nightsights, DA/SA with SRT and comes with two 8-round mags. It was a tough, long, yet fun decision - one 3 months in the making after handling at least a dozen options and shooting at least half that many.

For any of you golf nuts out there, I found that the whole process of choosing a CCW is a heck of a lot like choosing a putter -- very personal and deliberate, with many factors to consider.

To that end, the decision for my CCW was made based on what felt best in my hand and what gave me the most confidence, both in shooting and reliability.

I was able to check out all but one or two of the recommendations in this thread and I must admit that any of them would make a fine addition to my growing collection. In fact, I have added the CZ Rami, SW 3913, more than a few Glocks, HK P7M8, and a few wheel guns to my List of Wants, which, frankly, now reads like an inventory list at Bud's.

Thanks again all. Stay safe.

CJ

DWARREN123

Glock 19 or 26, Springfield XD, S&W compact. There are so many it comes down to which fits/feels good to you and you can handle properly and accurately.

roadrash

Given your choices ,P239.

I bet its the only pistol on your list (besides other),that would make it through a two day /thousand round class without issues.

Springfield maybe but its iffy,Kahr doubt it,Para not a chance!

dawgfvr

Many choices...but I chose the Glock 26 sheathed in a MTAC holster.

Now, my .45 ACP and .357 mag sit at home.

Other --> Glock 26. Its what I carry.

(edit) Sorry, didnt see post 50. Congrats on your decision. Post a range report and let us know what you think of the Sig.

CortJestir

Hey, thanks!

Hey everyone who posted on Page #3, thanks for the good intentions with your recommendations, but I made my decision - See Post #50. I went with the SIG P239 SAS (Gen 2). :D

Cheers,
CJ

Jager78

I noticed that the following were not on your list.
All are very fine carry 9mm's

1. HK P7
2. Sig P229
3. Beretta PX4 Subcompact