Help me decide on a compact carry 9mm auto

Which compact carry 9mm would you choose?

• Springfield Armory EMP

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • SIG Sauer 239 SAS

Votes: 24 19.2%
  • Para-Ordnance PDA (PXT LDA)

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • Kahr Arms PM9

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other (please recommend)

Votes: 49 39.2%

• Total voters

CortJestir

If you are serious about protecting your life...Get a compact 357 revolver.

Is that to say that the countless folks out there, including the multitude of LEOs, military, and legally armed citizens, who carry anything other than a 357 revolver are not serious about protecting themselves? :rolleyes:

I figured you were joking... Now to get back OT, revolvers are certainly not out of the question, but I do worry about the cylinder width. I haven't ruled out a pocket J-Frame. I just have yet to see how they would work for concealment and level of comfort.

compact 9mm

Another vote for the S&W 3914/3913 series. Single stack compact 9mm pistol, reliable and accurate. It just doesn't get better than that.

18DAI

Add one more vote for the 3913/3914. Light weight, slim, accurate and most importantly, RELIABLE. Good luck with the search! Regards 18DAI.

gilfo

Check into the CZ line. Either the Rami which I have or the P01 which I am going to get sooner or later.

Smaug

CorJstr - Maybe there is someone in your geographic area on TFL who would be willing to let you try out there smallish carry guns? You'd buy the ammo and maybe take him for lunch. Then, even if you don't try the exact guns you're considering, you'd have some very good ideas of what you like and don't like.

Any volunteers from the New Haven, CT area to help a brother out? :)

Laserlips

JMOfartO:

Well, in compact 9mm cc type pistols I've had the Glock26, Sig P239, Bersa Thunder 9/UC, Star BM, KelTec P11, Walther P99c/AS, Walther PPS, HK P7, and the S&W 3913.

The S&W 3913 was the first of it's type, and I bought it new in 1995. It never failed one time in any respect and was 100% reliable and certainly more than self defense accurate.. In fact of all of my firearms it's the one pistol my Son wants, and I've put it away for him.

My last compact 9mm was the desirable Walther PPS. My first PPS was an early production model (in the 14XX range) and worked perfectly, until it didn't. At around 200 rounds it started having ejector problems. I sent it back to S&W for warranty repair and they didn't fix it. They sent it back "repaired", but it wasn't "repaired" at all.... I sent it back and told them to fix it right, send me a new one, or give me a refund. They sent me a new pistol in the 4XXX range and it functioned perfectly, until it didn't. (I like the Customer Service end of the S&W Customer Service/warranty REPAIR division). The "repair" end didn't show me too much on this deal.

The 2nd PPS burped once and I washed my hands of it. I honestly believe the malfunction was probably ammo related as I was using the Winchester White Box Value pack and that ammo has caused me problems in many of my other 9mm pistols in the past. Apparently the WWWB is good, or not so good, depending on the lot you get your box from. But my total loss of confidence in the first PPS and the one malfunction in the 2nd simply just killed my desire for the PPS.

I sold the PPS to a nice gentleman for $500.00, and before he paid for it we took it out back and shot it together and it functioned perfectly, and was quite accurate. I think the second PPS was fine and it fed 115 grain jhp DoubleTaps like corn through a goose, but if you have no confidence in your cc self defense firearm it's time for a change.:barf:

Here's where $499.99 of that $500.00 I got for the PPS went.

100_9811.jpg

100_9814.jpg

Here I am 13 years down the road and I find myself once again with a 3913.. This time it's the "LS" version vs my original 3913, but I've always liked the looks of the Lady Smith models, and I'm well pleased with replacing the Walther PPS with the 3rd generation Smith..

Third gen Smiths have a long time reputation for absolute reliability (as much as any pistol can be such) and it's very accurate.

Truthfully it's not quite as accurate as the PPS, not nearly as accurate as the HK P7, but MORE than self defense accurate. We're talking just the size of the groups in the X ring, the LS WILL put 'em in the X ring but all of my pistols are capable of grouping in the X ring IF I can do my part.

I have full confidence in that every time I pull the trigger the little "LS" will indeed send a round down range, and that's a feeling of confidence I simply never had with my PPS.

Third generation Smiths seem to be only be appreciated by folks who actually own them.... But they are extremely well built, extremely reliable, certainly self defense accurate, and come with a lifetime warranty backed by Smith & Wesson.

Just another choice, and one I'm very happy I made.

Just personal opinion, no offense.:D

Best Wishes,

Jesse

FairWarning

1) HK P7M8

2) CZ 75 P-01

Either of these are very fine weapons, with the HK being rare and much more expensive, but check one out in person. Slim, low bore axis, could easily fit inside the pants, known for being very accurate, has a 4.1" barrel cleverly packaged into a very short gun. And speaking of clever, the squeeze cocker is great! Constrast this to a XD or Sig with a taller slide/higher bore axis, and it's obvious which would be easier to conceal. If you just won the lottery, you could consider the HK P7M13, but then you'd also lose some of the concealability.

The CZ is a more traditional design with a hammer and decocker. It is more than enough to get the job done and MUCH more affordable, which is probably why I'll go this route.

Van55

Now that I've got the sight adjusted properly, I love my EMP. For carry, though, the long grip causes it to print a bit under a jacket or loose shirt -- at least in my Galco OWB paddle holster.

gretske

OK, I am breaking your rules here, but I think you should hear this. I considered a G26, having shot one and liking it. So, I ordered one from my FFL. A week or two later, he was not able to get one. Some kind of shortage. So, he let me try his personal G27. I was very impressed with it. Same size, etc. as the G26, but much more power in the .40 S&W.

Bottom line, unless you want something much smaller, I think you get the maximum value, reliability and power in the G27. It's butt-ugly, but effective.

jdavis6576

You may also want to look at the Kahr P9:

http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_9mm_p.html

It's a little larger than the PM9 but not huge by any means. I bought one for my wife but she didn't like it because "the trigger was so smooth I couldn't tell when it was going to fire". I enjoyed shooting it but traded it for a revolver for her. No reason to keep it if she wasn't going to shoot or carry it. We had zero problems with the gun.

CortJestir

And the search continues! Half the fun is the journey, I tell ya...

Smaug, thanks for the shout out for help. Anybody in the Greater New Haven area with some single stack carry 9's, PM me. :)

I've added the CZ 75 and Rami, the Kahr P9 and the SW 3913 to the running. Just need to check 'em out...

Had the day off so I visited a bunch of gun stores today. I fondled an S&W AirLight revolver in .38 Special just for s%$!s and giggles. So amazingly light. How a gun that light doesn't shatter after you fire it is beyond me! But, despite the weight, I couldn't get over the thickness of the cylinder. So sorry, wheel gun folks, I won't be looking at a revolver for IWB carry. However, I do see an S&W Model 617 4" in my near future to add to my collection....hehehehe.

No one had a used P7M8 to look at (not surprisingly) today, but from what I hear from everyone, I won't consider my journey complete until I see and hold one.