Help me decide on a compact carry 9mm auto

Which compact carry 9mm would you choose?

• Springfield Armory EMP

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • SIG Sauer 239 SAS

Votes: 24 19.2%
  • Para-Ordnance PDA (PXT LDA)

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • Kahr Arms PM9

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other (please recommend)

Votes: 49 39.2%

• Total voters

CortJestir

Hey everyone,

I've been looking for a compact carry 9mm for a few months now and can't seem to make a decision. I'd like something thin and easy to conceal IWB on a 5'6" 175lb frame. I've narrowed my options down to single stack autos that fit my hand best. I've handled all the options in the poll above and they all fit well and I like the trigger on any of them. However, I have not shot any of them yet, as I can't find any to rent or anybody at the range who has one. :(

I don't mind carrying either loaded DA or cocked and locked SA. Price is not a major concern for me (as you can tell from the options!), but like everyone else, I do appreciate a good value. I need a little nudge in one direction or another! Feel free to recommend others in replies as long as they meet the criteria for me.

Thanks for your help and input!

CJ

Smaug

Walther PPS. Not very glamorous, but actually thin enough to carry comfortably, and reasonably comfortable.

If you're pretty well set on the ones above, I'll vote for the LDA.

Edit: Wait a minute, looking at your siggy, you've already got an LCP. Did you let someone talk you into thinking it is going to bounce off your attacker's jacket or something? :D

CortJestir

Ah, the PPS. I keep going back and forth. Love the size...but a little concerned about quality control. Folks over at Walther forums have noted a backstrap failure that Walther has acknowledged, (Link) apparently. I'll give it a more serious look if folks give it a good endorsement. Decent price too.

you've already got an LCP. Did you let someone talk you into thinking it is going to bounce off your attacker's jacket or something?

Hehehe. I have heard comments like that from folks at the range, but no, I have full confidence in my LCP doing its part if I do mine. I'm just looking for something a bit beefier to carry with a little bit more capacity during the winter months up here in CT is all.

I hadn't put too much thought into wheel guns, frankly. But I am open to it. How do they do as far as width is concerned for IWB?

David the Gnome

From that list I'd go with the EMP but it's also the nicest/most expensive of the options you've listed. My own preference is for a small double-stack 9mm like my Glock 26 or a Springfield XD9 sub-compact.

BanditSRT8

Out of the hundreds of guns I have owned, I can call only TWO my absolute top picks for carry in an accurate, reliable, and comfortable selection...

1) Springfield EMP

2) HK P7M8

Both are absolutely mind blowing in the accuracy category. Think $4000 custom target 1911 kind of accurate.

Both use a stable and accurate SA trigger.

Both are slim and easy to carry.

I give the carry-ability edge to the EMP because it is lighter, and smaller.

I give the overall "wow factor" to the P7M8 due to...

The cyclic rate
Ease of use
Absurdly low muzzle flip and felt recoil
Incomparable shot to shot accuracy
Ability to fire, reload, and fire again from dead-safe with either hand
Absolute error-free safety
Ability to remove firing pin in seconds rendering the gun useless (in case you are required toleave it in your car)

Either is an excellent choice. You know that you're simply buying the best.

tplumeri

i have a PM9 and an EMP and cant decide which i like better!
the PM9 is ultra concealable (i carry it in a smart carry or a VM2.)
but the EMP conceals just fine IWB and gives you the 1911 format.
I have trouble carrying a commander size (i'm not a big guy) but no problems with these two.
for value for the money i'd have to go with the PM9.
tom

dontshakepandas

Go with the PPS. I love mine and it's in my front pocket right now. I have had zero malfunctions and the thing is extremely accurate and fun to shoot.

Don't worry yourself about the "backstrap problem". You won't have a problem with it, especially if you just leave it alone. I field strip mine like a glock and it never comes off.

It's a fantastic gun and the price isn't too bad. If for some reason you do have a problem, Smith and Wesson has the best customer service I've ever dealt with, for any product.

hoytinak

My top 5 order of preference for a single stack 9mm would be:

1) HK P7 (PSP or M8)
2) Sig P239
3) Springfield EMP
4) Para Carry 9
5) Walther PPS

orionengnr

I own the EMP and the PM9, and have owned six P7s (none currently).

The EMP is a jewel, but the PM9 is the one I carry every day.

Why? The PM9 is smaller by a good bit and significantly lighter. I can pocket carry the PM9, while the EMP requires an IWB holster (my VM-II for the 3" 1911 works fine for this, but if I'm going to carry a 24 oz 1911 IWB, I'll just carry my Kimber Ultra Carry in 45 acp).

They are equal in reliability (although the EMP has taken two trips to Geneseo to achieve this). Although the EMP is probably more accurate, I shoot my defensive handguns at 21-25 feet. At that range it's effectively a wash.

Smaug

CortJstr said:
Hehehe. I have heard comments like that from folks at the range, but no, I have full confidence in my LCP doing its part if I do mine. I'm just looking for something a bit beefier to carry with a little bit more capacity during the winter months up here in CT is all.

FWIW - I had a concern that 380 JHP ammo wouldn't both penetrate AND expand. So I just keep it loaded with FMJs and am prepared to empty the whole magazine into a guy's chest, if need be.

The above translates to "I'm looking for an excuse to buy a new gun." which is fine too, of course. :D

CortJstr said:
I hadn't put too much thought into wheel guns, frankly. But I am open to it. How do they do as far as width is concerned for IWB?

The cylinder is of course the wide part, and it seems like a lot of folks carry them in a position that has the cylinder above the belt, and the barrel inside the belt. The 5-shot cylinder is about as wide as a Glock 26 frame.

Another one you might consider is the Glock 36. That is their single stack 45, which is a bit thinner than the sub-compact 26 in 9mm.

Wheelguns are good if there's a chance you have a non-gun-loving spouse who might need to use it some time. No chance of a limp wrist causing failure to fire. Ditto with riding the slide. Failure drill is to just squeeze the trigger again, nothing else to remember, no safeties to remember to talke off.

CortJestir

I took a long look at the HK P2000SK. A fine weapon indeed. But still, just a tad too thick. I know what you're thinking...the p239 is not much thinner, but for some reason the P239 fit my hand much better and in that price range, it was enough to rule out the P2000SK although I really didn't want to. Same thing for the Glock 26. I like the price, but in the end, I prefer a thinner single stack for this application.

I did not consider a P7M8...I'll need to find a used one to look at.

Thanks for the votes and recommendations thus far. Keep 'em coming. It has, as always, been most helpful.

sholling

EMPs are very nice little pistols but expensive and can be a bit temperamental when new. The PM9 is a fine little pistol but only hold 6-7rds. And I consider them a carry often-shoot seldom. But they flat disappear in a Custom Carry Concepts' Quick Cover. My first choice would be an M&P9c in a Custom Carry Concepts' 'Adjustable cant'. My second choice from your list would be the PM9.