Have I turned into a "gun nut"?

Pistoler0

I was originally going to title this post "Do I have too many guns"?

Anyway,

I am embarrassed to tell my non-gun acquaintances how many guns I have, they hurt my feelings :D by looking at me and saying "why?". Or my favorite: "Why do you NEED so many guns?".

Anyway its not so many!!
- 7 long guns, but 2 of them are bbs (replicas for cheap practice in lieu of centerfires).

- 5 hand guns (but 2 of them are air guns, again replicas for practice).

- About 3,000 rds of powder ammo.

- About 20 books on guns in my library. All kinds of gun magazine subscriptions. In fact, I have to clear all the gun mags from my bathrooms when visits come, because I am afraid they'll think I am a whacko.

- And then, holsters... gun clothing for cc....

I go to bed and instead of counting sheep I think about firearm operating mechanisms....
I watch movies and I have to tell everybody what kind of firearm this one or that one is, and why what they are doing is or is not correct...

My only other obsession is of the 2 legged kind, but that one I've had since I am a young teen and I am hoping that as I age it will subside.

I know most of y'all are a lost cause and many will tell me I don't have enough!! :)

Last edited:

zxcvbob

You're a "gun nut" because you have more than one gun and you have ammo (any ammo.) I'm pretty sure the bar will go even lower soon, that's just where it is now. Embrace it, but keep your head down.

ballardw

Anyone asking me "Why?" gets a "Why not?" right back. Almost everyone has or does something that others don't understand the attraction.

Shoes
Golf
Basketball
Porcelain Unicorns

are just a few that I find odd to spend any time/effort/money on.
Find out the other persons interest and ask them why. See if they understand.

I have other hobbies, not sure if I would call them obsessions, that others outside of those activities question as well. If interested look up "Society for Creative Anachronism" as one.

Some of my friends have said they are coming to my house if the Zombie Apocalypse starts.

Prof Young

Only 12!!!!!

Only 12 guns and two of them are BBs? You are just getting started!!!! Check in again when you have twice that many. :)

Seriously, if who I was 30 years ago could have looked forward to see how many guns I have now I'd have wondered who "that guy" was.

With ten handguns and fourteen long guns I know I am one of the 3% (I think that's the stat) that own more than three guns. If I count BB guns I have to add in five more. (one full auto bb gun). Oh, and if you count the guns I have on consignment at the LGS or local auction you have to add two more.

Am waiting for a Garand to arrive from CMP.

(And where does the crossbow fit into all of this?)

Currently I'm lusting after a Glock exclusive at the local big box hardware store.

If I'd never sold anything and kept every gun I'd ever bought there would be 60 plus guns in the safe(s).

I reload my own and and have quite the stash of ammo.

I didn't really think much about all this until my brother called my collection an "arsenal." Yeah, I guess it kind of is an arsenal.

Am I a gun nut? Not even close. I'm a "firearms hobbyist."

Life is good.

Prof Young

ghbucky

lets see...
3 shotguns
3 rifles
3 revolvers
3 pistols

I did not realize until just this moment that it was all in 3s. Not sure what to make of that.

zxcvbob

Turn it around on 'em. Ask the women why they need so many shoes! :cool: Or the guys, why they need... I don't know, more than 2 screwdrivers. Or do they really need golf clubs, etc. Or a fire extinguisher.

Not everything is about needs. One unusual thing about guns is they are an enumerated right acknowledged and guaranteed by the Constitution. (not given by the Constitution, the right pre-existed it)

I bet some of the people harassing you just bought a gun themselves and now can't find any ammo. So they are jealous ;)

Pistoler0

lets see...
3 shotguns
3 rifles
3 revolvers
3 pistols

I did not realize until just this moment that it was all in 3s. Not sure what to make of that.
whoa, yep, you are a basket case.

Ideas for the future (don't tell your therapist):
3 muzzle loaders
3 crossbows
3 pcc
3 co2 guns
3 nerf guns

and that makes it 9 groups of 3 of the same type of projectile launchers, and 9 is 3+3+3!!!

Last edited:

Pahoo

Loose lips, sink ships !!!

I am embarrassed to tell my non-gun acquaintances how many guns I have, they hurt my feelings by looking at me and saying "why?". Or my favorite: "Why do you NEED so many guns?
With all due respect, why do you feel obligated or need to share this information? I don't even share/exchange this information with my gun-buddies, unless we are dealing a specific problem or situation. I guess you could say that I'm private and protective for myself as well as others....... ;)

I met a golfer that has 48 sets of clubs. All with bags and carts. He was thinning down the herd at a garage sale. ..... :rolleyes:

Be private and;
Be Safe !!!

Pistoler0

I met a golfer that has 48 sets of clubs. All with bags and carts. He was thinning down the herd at a garage sale. ..... :rolleyes:
Come on, admit it, the golfer you met..... is YOU!

Yea me too, in the OP I wasn't speaking for myself, but a friend ;)

Pahoo

Did get close !!!

Come on, admit it, the golfer you met..... is YOU!
Hardly as I'd rather shoot one as opposed to hitting one. However, I use to be a Caddy and worked in the pro-shop, when I was a kid. ..... :p

Be Safe !!!

ballardw

lets see...
3 shotguns
3 rifles
3 revolvers
3 pistols

3 .45 Colt revolvers
3 .45 ACP pistols
3 .357 revolvers

though some other things come in other numbers.

"Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. "

rock185

Yes you have, if you're ever reported on by CNN you'll be described as a far Right Wing wacko, who subscribes to gun publications, in possession of an "arsenal" of military grade weapons and "unregistered" ammunition. I don't volunteer such information to anyone. I'm retired from LE, so most who know me might guess I still own a firearm. If asked, my reply is something like, "a couple" or, "a few"......... That is, before the tragic boating accident;)

ammo.crafter

So many?

Respond, "Why do you have so many golf clubs?"
Why so much fishing equipment?
Why so many outfits to wear?
Why so many tennis balls?
Etc

jag1954

I consider myself a gun 'enthusiast.' 20+ years ago I moved and had to sell my guns. Since moving back I've begun to re-acquaint myself and purchase a few,
a 9mm, 2 38s, a Ruger 10/22 and an AR15. For me it's relative. I've collected 1/43 scale cars for most of my life and the prices for said cars nowadays can be in excess of $150.00 each. Well, I have a collection of 300 or so. I don't consider myself a nut, just an enthusiast. I enjoy the history of said cars and most of them are cars that I've seen at races. Gives me pleasure to research them and it doesn't hurt that I have thousands of negatives and slides that I've taken over the years. I frame certain photos and have the car to display with them. When it comes to my guns, I familiarized myself with them before purchasing, done my due diligence by visiting various forums, compared this model to that model, am getting range time, practicing safety, taking my CCW, joined the NRA and Ohioans for Concealed Carry amongst others. I'm enjoying it. Nobody asks me and as a caregiver for my elderly parents (who never owned guns) I made to sure to tell them. My reasoning being that it's not that I don't trust anybody, it's just that don't trust anybody. My dad said, "Well I feel better." Home defense and all, plus I enjoy going out into the fields and varmint hunting. It's an enjoyable hobby.

Mike38

It's a good start. You'll know when you officially become a "gun nut" when someone asks you how many guns you have, and all you can say is, I lost count about 10 years ago. :D