Has a movie ever made you want to buy a certain firearm?

pelo801

after Faster, with the Rock, i kinda wanted the ruger alaskan 454. i don't know how much fun it would be to shoot the 2.5 inch 454 though. but still looked cool.

grandpajoe

The Chuck Norris movie "Invasion USA" got me wanting a .45 ACP (American Handgunner and Colt got me wanting a SS GM 1911 afterwards ,which I still have). The latest Zombie craze (not the one in Miami) got me thinking if the SHTF I'd be better served by a magazine fed rifle so I got an AR. Dirty Harry got me wanting a S&W 29 .44 magnum but years later I got a 629. Sold it, but now have another that's not going anywhere.

kilimanjaro

'Zulu' got to me for the Martini-Henry, took me 35 years to get one.

'Sergeant York' for a Springfield 1903. (I know it should have been a P17).

'The Naked Runner' for a Mauser C96 and stock. That took me 40 years !

'Lawrence of Arabia' for the Webley pistol.

ltc444

Dirty Harry Model 29. Every time I thought I had enough money a new Harry movie came out and jacked the price up.

Quigley down under a sharps.

Jeremiah Johnson a "Hawken rifle 50 caliber or better."

Cold Mountain a LeMatte revolver. The large smooth bore barrel and nine shots intrigued me.

Those are my top 4.

In reality just about every realistic gun movie I ever saw has made me drool.

InigoMontoya

Not consciously, but once upon a time I made a list of "guns to buy before I die." My wife took one look at the list and made the observation that every gun on my list featured prominently in my favorite movie.

:eek:

Sadly, long before I could complete said purchases, many of the guns in question were made illegal in my neck of the woods. :(

BlueTrain

Oh, most of them that have any guns at all, but especially the older ones. I love scenes where a character pulls open a drawer and there's a Colt Police Positive or a Police Positive Special inside. There's a scene in To Have and Have Not like that. There's also a scene where Bogart is on his boat and he gets out his rifle, a lever action. It is in a case. How many movies do you see someone taking a rifle out of a case?

Katsumi Liquer

Back in 1999 or thereabouts, I was deciding on what to get for my first handgun, and was overwhelmed by the choices available.

Then I happened to watch the animé Gunsmith Cats, in which the main character's primary sidearm was a CZ 75 (the pre-'B' version) that was animated in excruciating detail, right down to its internals. A behind-the-scenes video featurette on the LD also included a close-up examination of a real CZ 75.

That cinched the deal for me; I ordered a 9mm CZ 75B from an on-line dealer shortly thereafter. I still shoot this 75B on regular basis, and it remains one of the most accurate handguns currently in my collection.

shaunpain

Westerns always make me want some Schofields, levers, and a Sharps. Watching a newer movie recently ("Predators", the re-imagining of the franchise) made me want a 1911 with compensator that this Yakuza guy had. If it actually was a .460 Rowland, then I want it even more. Mind you, I never liked compensators or the way they looked.

Not directly, but it certainly pushed it along.

I caught part of Public Enemies on TV some months ago, and the scene where Dillinger breaks out of jail has him opening a police arms locker where there are maybe 10 Colt Police Positives (all correct period) hanging in nice rows.

A few weeks later I acquired my Official Police.

400981464.jpg

Not exactly what I wanted (I wanted an older one with hard rubber grips) but I wasn't going to quibble on the price, which I thought was very fair.

Last edited:

jimbob86

When I saw Kelly's Heroes as a kid, I wanted a Thompson.....

I wanted a Garand after Band of Brothers came out ....

....still don't have either ........ yet.

Auto426

I hate to say it, but it happens a lot with me.

I bought my first 1911 because I had seen so many 1911's in movies, television, and video games and I fell in love with the design. I bought my .44 magnum because I spent too much time watching the Dirty Harry movies. I used to dislike the AR15 in a vain attempt at being nonconformist, but seeing enough of them in media eventually got me to learn more about them and even purchase one. I'm also currently hankering for an AK-74 and G3, also brought about by seeing them in movies and video games.

I don't really see it as that much of a negative thing though. I've come to learn about a lot of different firearms through seeing them used in movies, television, and video games. Entertainment puts the idea of the gun in my head, which usually leads to researching their history and learning about whats available out there for me to purchase.

Justice06RR

I'm a sucker for high-powered modern rifles, so its the 50BMG, .338 AWM Lapua, or even just a Remington .308 bolt action. Shooter is one of my favorite firearms movies.

Another one is the AA-12 semiauto shotgun from Expendables.

ScottRiqui

I can't say that I bought it *because* of the movies, but the Bond films were my first exposure to the Walther PPK. Likewise, the first time I heard about the Browning Hi-Power was in one of the later Bond books.

One thing I have noticed is that whenever I buy a new gun, I start seeing it everywhere! I know they were always there, but I just didn't notice them until I had one of my own. There's even a name for it - the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon. It's the same reason why when you buy a new car, you "start" seeing the same make/model/color everywhere you go.

Frasier

Actually, Mel Gibson copied off me when he saw my Beretta 92 that I got back in 1999. He went back in time and used the same model in the movies because he saw me using one. :D
I find it amusing that I was able to justify dropping the cash to buy a big Smith & Wesson 45 acp revolver, like the one used in Raiders of the lost Arc. My Springfield XD 45 is picky about ammo and had a bunch of SWC reloads sitting around gathering dust. I HAD to buy one to shoot off that ammo.