Hardest gun to fieldstrip and reassemble

Walt Sherrill

The RUGER MKII is hard until someone who knows how shows you once. Then, it becomes a piece of cake. It takes seconds, not hours. There used to be some good videos on the web, but I don't know if they're still there.

I had a compact 1911, that required you to use a paper clip to capture the guide rod, when disassembling. That was a pain, coupled to needing a bushing wrench, too, for other parts of the field strip.

RdKill

LOL Ruger Tech Support has asked me to please not field strip my 22/45 MkIII again.

I don't shoot it much anyway :)

Easiest to fieldstrip and reassemble by far = Sig P6...I assume for obvious reasons the P225 is just as easy.

2ndamd

the Ruger MKII difficulty is surpassed only by the Ruger MKIII...the III is far worse!

+1

I love Ruger as a company but, their little .22 MKIII is the hardest to breakdown.:mad: Just run a boresnake through it and don't take it down.:D

jmstr

Since I had the slide and small parts [including slide stop] hard chromed, my Kahr K9 is the hardest. I have to use something to hit the slide stop to tap it out. Even before the hard chroming it was a PITA to get that pin to move.

Other than that pin though, it is a breeze.

I'm concerned about my Walther P1/P38 that comes out of jail in a week. We'll see.

I also hate having to use that recoil rod tool/pin to disassemble the Kimber Compact I have.

I prefer to be able to field strip my handguns in the ,well, field... without any special tools. I can do that with all but the Kimber and the Kahr.

RdKill

2ndAmd? Do you answer the phones at Ruger? That's what they told me to do lol. I pushed the wrong pin out and all my trigger group went flying everywhere. That's one of things I like to see how it was to begin with before trying to put it back together. One little bushing that went AWOL caused me A LOT of grief

fredneck

Swedish Lahti back in the day. Bar none the biggest PITA is an HK MP5 with the Navy trigger group. Gotta have about 5 hands for that.

Ed4032

Lugar P-08. Absolutely the most difficult I've ever tried. I will never do that again. I got it apart and couldn't get it back together. My Dad walked me thru it over the phone. I miss Dad helping me with that.

44 AMP

Staff
From some of the replies, it is clear that a lot of people just don't understand the term "field strip". Some are even confusing it with "detail stripping", which is a different thing entirely.

And then there is the fact that many gun designs do not require even field stripping for sufficient cleaning to give years, or decades of good service.

First, get over the fact that not every pistol is designed to completely come apart on a regular basis. They aren't. And that is on purpose. I know we love to tinker and play with the parts, see how they work, how they fit together, clean, etc., but the fact is if your pistol wasn't designed for military use and in the last half century, it is going to be more complex to take down than something newer.

It may take tools. So what? You can't change a flat tire without a wrench and a jack. Don't hear many folks whining about that.

If you detail strip a Ruger Mark series pistol, and don't have experience, its a real bear to get it back together correctly. If you just field strip it, its just a pain. But there's normally no reason to ever have to do it. Ok, if the gun gets submerged, or something similar, but for normal cleaning, you don't need to take the thing apart, at all. If you do, its just to make yourself happy.

Some whine about how "complicated" the 1911 is, compared to newer pistols. OK, fine, I don't have a lot of experience with the newest ones, but I do have a Sig P220. It field strips much easier than the 1911. But I can detail strip my 1911A1 with complete confidence, while I will not detail strip my P220, at all!

If you are driving out pins, and little springs and screws are flying out, you are way past "field stripping".