Hardest gun to fieldstrip and reassemble

HawkeyeNRAlifer

Ditto on the Ruger MK series. I'm on my second one and I go years between tearing them down. So I tend to forget the proper sequence to do it the correct way.

Patriot86

I have not gotten my hands on one yet but I would imagine any Desert Eagle just because of its design vs a traditional Beretta/Sig/Springfield

spacecoast

The one that I've started to tear down a couple of times, then thought better of it? Colt Pocket Model M (.32/.380).

RickB -

They're easy if you follow the instructions in the manuals available at coltautos.com. Great pistols, the workmanship is impressive.

lee n. field

I was just wondering out of curiosity, what do you guys think is the hardest guns to fieldsstip, clean, and reassemble?

Feldstrip, a 1911. Which isn't hard, it's just that everything else (that I have experience with) is easier.

Clean -- a revolver.

Miata Mike

Ruger Mark I and Mark II.......before the Internet. Not a big deal now and I wouldn't hesitate to field strip after any range time.

Hal

Ruger Mark - - oddly - it's both hardest and easiest..

Once I got the hang of it I could strip my .22/45 down and put it back together almost 4 times in under a min.

The first time though is a three day affair......

Same for going back to it after a several year hiatus....:confused:

The Ruger Mark series is one of my least favorite guns to fieldstrip. Once you do it a few times it gets better but still a lot of stuff you need to remember or it does not come apart/go back together easily.

I also do not care for field stripping officer sized 1911's.

MYSTERT85

the worst that i have owned is my old High Power. it was a real pain in the butt.

when i got my Colt Delta Elite home i stripped it down for the first time. then couldnt figure out how to get it back together. the twin recoil springs make it a pain in the ass to hold everything together while putting the slide on the frame. lol i was searching for the recoil spring plug that got launched across the room and cussing the gun to no end when my buddy called and walked me through it and told me some tips. now i have no problems :D

XD Gunner

I was just wondering out of curiosity, what do you guys think is the hardest guns to fieldsstip, clean, and reassemble?

Ruger Mk1/2

A 1911 if you don't know what your doing, you'll be searching for the spring plug for hours.

pilpens

Field strip --- Ruger MKII or 1911. Not difficult ... just has more steps compared to a Walther P99, HK USP or Sig Pxxx.

Consider field stripping a Browning Buckmark. Easy but requires a wrench and almost always requires readjustment of sights after assembly. So, Is the Buckmark easier than a Ruger MKII? I think the Buckmark requires more.

Last edited:

James K

Member In Memoriam
I think the worst was the Campo-Giro. And detail stripping was an exercise in insanity. That one should be at the top of anyone's "don't go there" list.

Other tricky ones are the Roth-Steyr, the Frommer Stop and Baby, and the Browning 1900. One that comes apart easy and goes together hard is the Colt Pocket Model hammerless.

The Buckmark is easier to take down and reassemble than the Rugers, but I went off the Buckmark when I figured out that they could give away the pistols and just sell screws. Almost every owner I encountered had lost one or both screws at one time or another. The Ruger can be a bit of a pain the first few times, but the parts are hard to lose.

(The Ortgies is no problem to reassemble once you know the trick of locking the firing pin spring guide into the notch in the slide.)

Jim

Last edited:

hondauto

My hardest to strip down is a S&W 4566TSW,not too bad to clean though.
My GP100 Stainless is a mother to get clean,but sure is purty when done right.
My carry weapon is the easiest(springfield XD9sc)
I have yet to strip the sig mosquito sport(barrel extension)

Edward429451

The Ruger MK series isn't particularly difficult except when new and very tight.

The sear spring in the Gold Cups was hard enough to put in that I seriously considered pitching it but did not.

Don't ever take the side plate off of one of those 22 mini revolvers because it will go boing.