Glock 17 or Beretta 92FS

Dust Monkey

"Drop the frame all you want". Well maybe you need to just own Glocks. If you treat your guns that way.

g17 is lite and not sharp parts to catch on things. 17 rounds over 15 and less weight. i love the glocks

Mecgar makes a flush fit 18 round magazine for the 92. You all know who Mecgar is? ACT makes a 17 round flush fit for the 92.

Glock 17 or Beretta 92FS. Both, as I've said, will serve you well. My choice is the Beretta 92, better ergonomics and more accurate.

One of the 2 glocks that I have owned that jammed on me was a glock 17. I've never seen a beretta jam.

roman3

Mecgar makes a flush fit 18 round magazine for the 92. You all know who Mecgar is? ACT makes a 17 round flush fit for the 92.

Mec Gar also makes a non flush fit 20 rounder. The 92 can alos take aftermarket 32 round mags, Promag and one other make them.

But Glock makes a Factory 33 rounder.

And I have never seen either gun jam.

bogieb

I would go for the comfy fit.

Becasue I want to get into competition and take more classes, I need something other than my Sig 239. I rented a G17 and although a bit awkward, I shot it fine. I thought I would get used to the blocky feel of the grip. Unfortuantely, I've found that I don't like the gun, so will end up selling it for a loss and getting something else. Nothing against Glock - just not right for me. Now I have to go thru the trouble of selling it, and researching more guns.

Would have been much better for me if I had paid more attention to the feel of the grip in my hand!

theaceco

@Pico: a CZ 9mm you say? I own a CZ target rigle (the same kind that it's country of origin uses to train snipers) and it's most accurate .22 I've ever used. Not sure I would want a CZ pistol though.. CZ's are just too plain looking.

I think the 92fs fits my hand better than the Glock. I'm 6'5" and I have large hands, making the beretta a more comfy fit. Although, I don't really know how much comfort plays into accuracy.

Pico

CZ pistols

Don't want to get off topic with CZ's but if you handle and shoot any CZ pistol you will want one. They shoot really good and are accurate. They used to be a steal but they are priced way up now.

They can be very non-plain:

main288_png_637x200_q85.png

10_CZ75-StainlessSE_png_637x200_q85.png

:D

Pico

Shawn Dodson

I shot the M9 in the Army and carried a personally owned 96FS on police patrol. The Beretta 92 series is a reliable handgun design. Mine was directly exposed to rain, freezing weather, snow, and sleet. It was accurate. The trigger was okay.

That being said, I don't like the slide mounted hammer drop safety on the Beretta 92. I always carried it with the safety engaged so I'd be conditioned to always disengage it when I presented it from my holster. (I previously carried it with the safety disengaged but there was an instance at the range in which I presented and experienced a misfire caused when the safety was inadvertantly engaged when I snapped the thumbsnap of my holster closed. Tap, roll, rack & safety cleared the stoppage but I'd learned my lesson.)

As a private citizen I currently CCW either a Glock 19 or Kahr PM9 (mirror twin of the G19 but single stack). The 96FS is a large frame handgun and requires effort to successfully CCW comfortably. I prefer the simplicity of the Glock design.

I sold my 96 a few months ago as I'd retired it and it had become a safe queen. If I were interested in a 92 style handgun in the future I'd choose the Taurus PT92 because it has a frame mounted manual safety/decocker that also permits it to be carried cocked & locked.

Good luck!

theaceco

@ Pico: Huh, I've probably seen those in person without even realizing those were CZs. Very sharp

@ Shawn: It misfired while still in your holster? Or as you were pulling it out?

JohnKSa

Administrator
It misfired as in, he pulled the trigger and the gun didn't fire because he had accidentally engaged the safety much earlier while holstering.

Dust Monkey

It misfired as in, he pulled the trigger and the gun didn't fire because he had accidentally engaged the safety much earlier while holstering.

You mean the gun did not fire because the safety was on, right.

Shawn Dodson

Yes, it misfired. I pressed the trigger and the gun did not fire. It did not fire because the manual safety had been inadvertantly engaged the last time I holstered it. I presented the gun, pressed the trigger and it did not fire. I quickly cleared the stoppage by performing a nondiagnostic immediate action for clearing a misfire with a Beretta: Tap, roll, rack, safety.

Cheers!

Tomcat017

I vote glock 17. Both are great guns, and neither will disappoint. I own an m9 (essentially identical to the 92) a glock 19 - just slightly smaller than the 17. You should look into the g19 too - the slightly shorter slide makes it more pleasant to handle, IMO, without comprimising much.

Both the glock and the beretta are extremely reliable. The glock may have a slight edge in longevity. The glock has a factory option of night sights (which I HIGHLY recommend - even if you don't need the capability, the night sights are steel while the standard are plastic). The Beretta, AFAIK, does not have a night sights option. Put the savings of the glock into the sights.

The 92 is usually a DA/SA (though there are double action only versions). I'm OK with the DA/SA trigger, but some don't like the heavy first trigger pull. It is quite different from the subsequent pulls. THe glock has the same pull each time, and it's pretty light (it's pre set, as compared to a Sig DAO trigger)

The main reason I like the glock -- the controls. No safeties, decocking levers, etc. I don't even mind the presence of the controls on the Beretta - I don't like their location. I find that when racking the slide under stress, in malfunction clearance, reloads, etc., the hand often hits the controls on the Beretta, engaging the safety accidentally (or else, hurting the hand). Then you go to take the next shot and - surprise. Manipulating the slide from the front is inconvienient because it gets very hot!

Anyway..just my 2 cents. Both are great guns. The best option, of course, is try to get some trigger time on both. Let us know how you make out!!

Last edited:

Zertek

The Glock 17 in no way can be beat....nuff said......;) except maybe by a Glock 19

Last edited:

dgludwig

The Beretta, absolutely. An extensively tested pistol that has passed the test of time and has been proven battle-worthy during numerous fields of conflict. Plus, it fits my hand perfectly!

nolaOE800

many view the lack of a manual safety on Glocks as a hazard or disadvantage, but many others get shots off much quicker because of it.:cool:

flashover251

After having a recent ordeal with Beretta customer service I have reconsidered owning one. So much so that I have sold the two that I owned and will never own another.

My vote Glock all the way!