Glock 17 or Beretta 92FS

theaceco

I'm going to get a new handgun in the next few months and I've been reading reviews and looking through and through guncase after guncase and I feel a little torn between two specific guns.

On one hand, there's the Glock 17; which I've heard is extremely reliable and accurate. Then the Beretta 92fs, which is one of the most comfortable feeling firearms I've laid my hands on. Also the fact that it's a twin to the Military used M9, so that's gotta mean something as far as how reliable it is..

If I remember correctly, the Glock is about $100 to $200 cheaper on most of the listings that I've looked at..

any advice?...

LockedBreech

As a .40 man, I'd tend to recommend the .40 siblings to those, the Glock 22 and Beretta 96FS or Beretta PX4. However, that's not what you asked.

Having my heaviest experience with these two brands, I rate them equally in terms of reliability. The smaller caliber Beretta pistols like my father's Bobcat .22 are finicky, but not the combat calibers in my experience. The Glock is superbly reliable.

Both are 9mm so caliber is a non-issue.

Customer support from Beretta can be an ordeal. Not sure about Glock.

Speaking aesthetically, and in terms of personality, I think Beretta beats Glock all hollow.

Both are very easy to find components for.

I vote Beretta, but those are two excellent firearms

zombieslayer

I vote G17. I haven't shot a 92, but a couple of my friends from high school who went on to military service don't seem fond of the Berettas.

silent_warrior

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of how the Beretta's barrel is openly exposed. Seems like a lot of grit and crud could find its way into places it doesn't belong. Whether or not this is truly an issue I can't say. I've never had a Beretta, and don't really plan to. I'm happy with my Glock 17, but it's currently lonely and waiting for a Glock 26 to join it. Beretta is military tested, Glock is law enforcement tested, both good guns. Glock offer's more bang for the buck IMO though, with the lower price tag, and that's not in anyway saying it's cheaply made. Some people complain about the way the Glock looks, and drool over the way the Beretta looks. I personally prefer the simple look of the Glock, but I don't buy guns to look at them.

theaceco

Thanks for the opinions and advice guys.

@ LawScholar: I've been trying to find a PX4 as well to see how it looks up close and feels, but so far I've been unlucky.. as far as .40 I figured I'd stick with the 9mm decision before moving on to bigger bangs..

LockedBreech

@theaceco,

If recoil is a concern, it may interest you to know that the PX4 has a rotating-block system (previously found on the Beretta - now Stoeger - Cougar series pistols) that significantly tames the .40 muzzle flip. It actually shoots more controllably than some 9mms I have fired.

Or, if you'd like to stick with 9mm - a touch paltry for me, but as many here will correctly inform you, shot placement is king - the PX4 comes in a 9mm with outstanding 17+1 capacity (14+1 in .40) with the same rotating recoil-reduction and stabilization mechanism.

If at all possible, to reiterate other posters, try to get some rounds downrange with all you can before plunking down the cash.

socom58

+1 on getting some trigger time in on both pistols you are considering. I've shot both the guns you are considering in 9mm, but I don't own either one (rented the Glock; the Beretta was a friend's). For me, the ergonomics of the Beretta made it the winner. Both were plenty accurate, but the 92FS was just more comfortable.

BillCA

I resisted the double-stack magazine guns for years. I'm still not overly fond of them, but I do own both a Glock 17 and a Beretta 92FS.

For me, the choice was really simple. I shoot the Beretta FAR better than the Glock. The excellent sights of the Beretta are easy to acquire, the gun is very accurate, it sits IN the hand naturally and points almost perfectly.

Glocks are reliable, but the open top design of the Beretta prevents almost any malfunction except perhaps a double feed (and those are rare). Slide operation is lighter than the Glock, making it nicer for women and those with arthritis. And while some may claim the open top allows dirt into the Beretta, it has not been a significant problem in the sandbox, nor at the range.

The Glock is slightly smaller and lighter. And it has a durable finish on the slide. But (for me) the grip angle isn't quite right and the gun presents with the sights offset to the left every time. The trigger is somewhat spongy compared to the Beretta's SA trigger.

In addtion the Beretta's DA mode allows a 2nd strike capability if the primer fails to ignite. A second pull of the trigger will usually fire the round. With the Glock, you have to eject the round (or short-stroke the slide to reset the trigger for a 2nd strike).

The acutal advantages belong to Beretta, IMO. Plus the Beretta beats the tar out of Glock in the beauty pagent as well.

roman3

Both of these I have owned, over the years I have had at least 12 92 Series Beretta's (From the original S to my favorite the SB to the modern F and FS in blued, matte and Inox finishes) and 2 or 3 Glock 17's (plenty of other Glocks though).

These are two of my favorite pistols. I prefer the Glock platform for my needs.
I prefer the Glock 19 over the 17 for CCW and grip reasons, however the 17 is an excellent gun. On the 92 series I prefer the Italian made guns over the US made ones but I am a Eurotrash snob.

I did 20 years in the Military and carried the 92 for 18 of them. It did what I needed it to do when I needed it most. I did several years of Federal LE too and I carried a G17 in uniform and a G19 when I went to plain clothes.

As I have moved away from collecting I have gone to the what is my need for protection gun and thus the Glock platform won out.

Both are great guns and both have a vast market supporting them. You can't go wrong with either. Most complaining about either gun is the grips.

The Beretta is too fat and the Glock to blocky and all that ergonomic stuff. For me I easily adapted to both guns and had no problems shooting either well. The Glock a little bit better and a little bit faster. Today everyone seems to want the gun to adapt to them...oh well, so be it.

The PX4 is a great gun too but does not feel like or shoot like either the 17 or 92.

Either would be my choice.

EdInk

FWIW, I would pick the glock over the beretta 10 times out of 10. Unless I was looking for a doorstop.

The M9 is not too well liked by troops. This is mor
because it replaced the legendary 1911 than anything else, IMHO. The DA trigger is too heavy as is the gun itself. Also there are reports of wearing out issues by some.

I used to like the beretta until I tried a glock. I switched and never regretted it. I was then a diehard glock fan for awhile, even though the grip never fit my hand well. About 2 years ago I tried a friend's XD and that is now what I shoot best and would pick over anything on the market in a fullsize gun. Although the new xdm is a LITTLE nicer, butfor the money I stand by my choice of the regular xd.

In summary, between the two choices go with the glock. If you're open to other options that are similar look into the xd. BTW the M&P is a nice choice too.

KurtC

Your comparing apples and oranges. The Glock has a precocked, short pull action. The only thing similar from Beretta is the "C" action version of the PX4. As for the Beretta 92, the D models are similar in trigger pull to a Glock with the New Your trigger.

Beentown71

I have both and prefer...

P1050020.jpg

The glock is going to be sold soon. It had its purpose with me. Now that I have an XD I no longer have a need since I prefer the XD. I will never sell my 92 unless things get real bad. Accurate, reliable, well built, fills my hand perfectly, and is just good lookin to me. YMMV. Hold both, shoot both and decide from there.

Beentown

jaysouth

Not only a personal choice, but a VERY subjective choice. You cannot make an intelligent decision until you handle, fondle, shoot and maintain each.

I own both and am not dumb(smart) enough to say that one is better than the other. After handling, fondling, shooting, and maintaining each one extensively, I choose 1911s and Smith 3G single stacks.

Search is your best friend. Member opinion is free and worth what you paid for it.

YMMV

BanditSRT8

Glock: Not as nice looking but lighter in weight and smaller (only matter if you're carrying).

Beretta: SLOPPY triggers with far too much creep and overtravel, but aesthetically beautiful.

I have had a few 92 models and sold them all because firing them side by side toall of my other guns... they were the least accurate because of the atrocious triggers. My friends go through the same when we go shoot. They put down their 92 and shoot any of my pistols and always comment "Man, i thought I was a bad shooter all this time till I shot your guns" then they generally sell their Beretta.

Glock for sure. Better accuracy (as long as the grip works well for your hand), less maintenance, better longevity.

theaceco

It seems that most of you would go for the Beretta 92 then.

@Beentown71: that's a wonderful looking 92, I love the Inox versions. If I do decide Beretta 92fs, then it will definitely be an Inox one.

@Law Scholar: No, I didn't know that Beretta had put a rotating-block system in the PX4.. until I actually get my hands on one, I won't really know what to think of it.

It will be a while before I do decide which gun. I definitely don't want to rush into anything.

@BanditSRT8: How many Glocks do you own?

Hog Hunter

+1 glock. just put a 17 on layaway and was choosing between the g17 and a taurus 92ss(almost like the berreta). the taurus looked alot better but the glock was so much more ballanced in my hand. i was never a big fan of the glock till i shot a g19 my buddy had. plus glock in my mind is one of the better pistols for the money, and they have great customer service from what ive herd. Good luck!

Skans

IMHO, the Glock 17 is the better gun. More reliable, durable, and holds more rounds, especially with a +2 mag cap.

If you want a pretty gun, buy the Beretta. If you want an indestructable gun, buy the Glock 17.