Gas Theft - What to do about it

fortkevin2

Around here the rise in stealing gas is up from what i can tell. It has happened to my girlfriend, her father and numerous other people. She drives a 04 Volvo S60 and they pried open the gas tank door to get to hers. she didn't notice and neither did i until i went to fill her up and i looked down and could see where the latch was and it was gone. Got her a locking cap the next day.

pgg

In California (especially the Bay Area) you would be hard pressed to justify using pepper spray to prevent the theft of gas. If you do expect to wind up with battery charges at a minimum.

jfrey123

100 gallons of diesel. at $3.50/gal..........

We're up to $4.40 if you find it cheap for diesel. Now think about this also: A big rig semi can usually hold 300 gallons of fuel (gramps was a long haul truck driver). 300 gallons x $4.40 comes to $1,320. Does memory serve me correctly, and Gross Larceny is stealing a dollar amount above $1,200? Seems to me that fuel theft is quickly going to become more than just a small time crime.

Nevada law is written that one is allowed to protect life and property. However, when gas first hit $2.00/gal (ah the good ol' days :barf: ) a man here in Reno came out of his house after spotting a father/son team ripping off his gas. He peppered their pickup with buckshot as the son ran to the waiting father's truck, and he ended up in jail real quick.

Moral of the story is take your preferred weapon with you to investigate the bumps in the night, but be prepared not to use it. If you catch a gas thief in the act and he runs, you're likely stuck letting him go. The only time I can see lethal force being used appropriately in most jurisdictions would be if they come at you after you tell them to stop, and that you're calling the cops. At that point, they're attacking you and a more violent crime is being committed than 'petty' gasoline theft.

ziggy222

wow.sounds like in kalifornia the criminals win.i'm in pa but anyway i always wondered or at least since my car was broke into for cigeretts if i could hold someone at gun point till the cops got there to arrest them,or if the cops would just arrest them and me both.for all you pepper spray users out there,remember that spray is conciddered a weapon as well.i'm pretty sure it can only be used to save your life.

moose fat

Locks and vandal proof motion detector lights and sometimes that doesn't work.

I work for the city and we've been having this problem for fourteen years. The fuel barge just droped off fuel and gas, yahoo( a sarcastic yahoo). Today gas went from $4.85/gal to $6.93 and diesel fuel delivered went to $7.15. Figure that one.

Also what I have been doing is to just put two or three gallons in the tank, enough to last a day or two.

GoSlash27

silenthitz,
I think your response is more emotional than practical. If you're willing to jeopardize two lives over $100 (even if you can't afford it), I say your priorities are whacked.

SilentHitz

Say what you want, you're entitled to your opinion...just like me.;)

Personally, I'm tired of seeing the criminals given all the consideration, and the law abiding people just have to eat the loss.

Used to be they got a few years for grand theft auto for stealing your vehicle...now they get a slap on the wrist for joy-riding.

I grew up when you could not only protect your life, but also the property you worked hard for...now everyone expects you to just let the low lifes have whatever they want...and people wonder why there's so much theft.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Mikeyboy

Guys, we are looking at this all wrong. You confront a guy stealing your gas. He has a filled 5 gallon container, a hose dripping with fuel, and is reaking of gas. You can't shoot him, you can't pepper spray him, you can't even hit him, so what is your only option. :p

299757814_9c7750e96f.jpg

Seriously though, if your in that situation, and your unarmed, a $1 bic lighter should make most gas thieves back off.

ZeSpectre

Someone stole several jerry cans from the neighbor's house. We're assuming that they -thought- they were stealing gasoline

Wish we could be there when they tried to use it since what they actually took was about 15 gallons of a special liquid fertilizer. (the neighbor runs a landscaping biz).

Still it's caused me to start locking all my cans up along with the mower and lawn tractor <sigh>.

Wish I could come up with a decent plan in case the crooks try to come back to our neighborhood.

alfred

They will steal a gas can full of gas & USED filtered solvents.

I keep a can of special USED gas/solvent mix in a spot obvious in daylight when I am through with it.I sure hope no one keeps stealing it again,and again and again.The cans are getting expensive,but if someone is putting it in their gas tank,they have no more need for gas.I use it for completely legal uses and had it ready for proper disposal.I have it labeled."Do not use with out permission".Perhaps they cannot read in the dark or cannot read English.I don't have to worry about disposable and I don't have to report it stolen.I have no complaints as it does not last long enough to dissolve the plastic gas can as it will with time.Alfred

hoytinak

It happens around here too so we got the locking gas caps on all our vehicles. But they didn't help any, about a week later we had the lines cut on both our tanks on our truck, they got away with about 60 gallons of diesel. :mad:

rgoers

Sounds like a large, under-fed dog would be the best option.

I have to admit that it would be REAL hard for me to NOT beat the cr@p out of a fuel thief - if I caught him in the act. The problem today is: the criminal has more rights (and the favor of the courts) than the victims. America is in a sad, sorry, state.

TheNatureBoy

Let him have the gas. Call the authorities and let them handle it. If he is driving a car/truck get plate number and description of vehicle. I 'm not crazy about the idea of anyone stealing my gas but I have to ask myself if beating the you know what outta him is worth what it would cost me in legal and medical fees.

HankB

The original poster is in Silicon Valley, CA, so his options of dealing with a night-time theft have been severely curtailed by legislators that identify - on some level - with the criminals. :(

Texas is different. :D

BillCA

Yes, California, land of fruits and nuts.

I figure the purpose of a firearm is to defend myself against a sneak-thief who is likely armed with a sharp knife and/or a cordless drill. I'm considering braided fuel lines at this point, just to make it tougher.

As others have said, the sentiment in many jurisdictions, especially California, is that one should not harm a "mere thief" for stealing. Nevermind that his theft might force you or your children to skip meals. Or that his theft of fuel might prevent you from getting a loved one to a hospital. Oh, no... all he's doing is stealing and at that, he's only stealing property, so no one's life is in danger. :barf:

We would have much less theft if police and DA's were more interested in stopping crime than generating arrest & conviction statistics.

Deaf Smith

Well, I sort of wait till dark, scope out someone without a gascap lock on their car, shinny on the ground up to the car with a very thin hose and gas can.....

Wait... you mean if someone is stealing MY gas? Why how dare they! The low-life thieves! Why I'd.....

Look, the gas is maybe worth 50 bucks in your tank. Take the same action you would if they were stealing 50 bucks. That might mean calling the cops, and even following them home while on the cell phone talking to 911.

Plug them for 50 bucks? I wouldn't. I might stand in the way of their car while I called cops and if they tried to run me over then I'd have to defend myself, but no, I don't blast people for that.

BillCA

Look, the gas is maybe worth 50 bucks in your tank.

Sorry bub. I just filled up my truck's tank from near empty. It cost me $102.05 and for that they didn't even provide oxygen so I could catch my breath again. That's just a standard pickup truck tank. I'd be in real hurt if I was filling up auxillary tanks too!

A few years ago there was a story about some redneck who tried to use a hose to siphon gas out of an RV parked in front of a neighbor's home. The owner saw the guy sneaking around it and called police. When cops arrived the suspect was on the ground, vomiting and choking. Seems he stuck the hose into the opening for the holding (sewage) tank and sucked hard.... The vehicle owner declined to press charges, saying that the thief had gotten punishment enough. The cops thanked the owner for the best night's entertainment they'd had in months.

SilentHitz

Look, the gas is maybe worth 50 bucks in your tank.
You must have a very small tank. I have a 35 gallon tank...multiply that by 4 bucks. $140 ain't chump change to me.

Like BillCA said above, if you need that vehicle for an emergency...it's more than just gas. I'm glad a few people here see the bigger picture...it's not just the g:rolleyes:as.