flattest shooting 500 yard deer rifle cartridge

kraigwy

Dont discount the 243 Win.

Wife got this guy at 547 yards. Horn 100 gn. SPBT. One shot went about 3 ft. Home made rifle w/Model 70 Action.

Karenqus%2020161.JPG

6.5 CM is hard to beat. 665 yards, 143 gr. Hornady. DRT

RAO%20and%20Antelope.jpg

The real difference is not the gun/bullet, but the fact we spend all summer playing on BLM property 2 miles from the house where we can shoot 2000+ yards.

Last edited:

Fischer

A 500u.s. hunting shot raises all kind of "ethics" questions to me. Just putting that out there. Lots of hang time.......

HiBC

A 500u.s. hunting shot raises all kind of "ethics" questions to me.

I suggest this would be better discussed in its own thread.

I'm not prepared to question the integrity of those who produce clean kills at ranges that I typically pass on.

"A man has got to know his limitations"

My limits may be different than your limits

Last edited:

Don Fischer

I think a good way to determine how flat shooting a cartridge is would be to sight in your rifle how ever you do it then shoot a say an 8" paper plate, aiming at the center of the plate every time and see how far out you can center on the plate and still hit it. If you have 2 30-06's one sighted in to zero at 100 yds and the other for 3" high at the same distance, you'll find that even though they are both 30-06's and let's say they use the same bullet and velocity is about equal, long range for both will differ. Long after the first falls below point of aim, the other will continue on. Which one will be flattest shooting will depend on how you zero your rifle. If you have to raise your sight's to hit the target, your cartridge run's out of flatness and the ability of the shooter takes over!

Tallest

7mm STW

I think it was Troy800 on page 1 that mentioned 7mmSTW. I don't have any hunting experience with this cartridge myself, but I am well acquainted with a gentlemen who uses one regularly to kill caribou on flat plains land at 400-700 yds. At 500 yds you're generally maintaining 1500-2000 ft lbs of energy with less than 40" or drop. This, I think, is sufficient for an ethical shot IF you're confident in hitting where you aim.

With that said, I agree with the assertions that there is no hunting round that is shooting flat at 500 yds.

At that distance, if 500 yds is your zero, you're going to need to be well acquainted with your specific load's trajectory 100 yds closer and farther. That is just the nature of the beast.

Last edited:

P-man

Yep, I was going to suggest the .257 Weatherby as well. Just be forewarned, they are barrel burners!

jimbob86

Since the intended target was listed as deer, I think the hunter should try to get closer.

+1. It's a live animal, and prone to move ..... how far can it move in the time of flight for a shot that far? Even if the shooter does everything perfect- knows the trajectory reads the wind and holds or clicks up and over ..... has a rock solid rest and pulls off the perfect shot , the animal can easily take a step forward in less time than it takes for the bullet to get there ..... so unless it's sleeping (and then why could one not get closer?) 500 yard shots are foolish, leaving a good chance for a wounded and lost animal, which as ethical hunters, we try to avoid doing. Just my $.02 ......

The_Jerkman

Took a heart shot on an antelope at 505 yards last year with my custom loads in my .300wby

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Slamfire

I do not know anyone who has ever attempted (or would ever attempt) a 500 yard shot on a deer.

Maybe I'm too cynical, but it seems as though folks are trying to substitute technology for skill.

I agree. Hitting at distance is not a deterministic event based on technology. It is based on skill. Range estimation is of course critical, but having shot at distances out to 1000 yards, I am very skeptical about those who think they are going to line up the sights, yank the trigger, and hit sometime way out there. The further you go out, the more little errors in sight alignment and trigger pull make the bullet go wide. And then, unless you have zero'd your rifle at that range, how do you where its zero is at that range?

Here, because I had previously zero'd this rifle at 300 yards, with a similiar load, I was very happy to get a pin wheel ring first shot at 300 yards. So at 200 and 300 yards, I have a lot of confidence in my hit probability. If the range was 350, not so confident. I could make estimates of elevation.

vz1IdKz.jpg

Here was an attempt to zero that rifle at 600 yards. There are about six shots off target. With even a 300 yard zero, that Burris scope was not exactly 4 clicks per MOA, it turns out, it is closer to 3 clicks per MOA, and, windage was slightly different.

LYGQutP.jpg

Once in the ten ring, sure, if I knew the exact distance, yes, high probability of hitting the 12 ten ring at 600 yards.

FT1YVAK.jpg

Was doing it another day, with another load. But, I had a previous zero to work off and this group is shots 11 through 20. Sighters make a big difference in getting a group centered. Also, cracked case necks will fling bullets unpredictably. I am shooting up old ammunition I loaded up decades ago, before I learned that gunpowder deteriorates.

EKp6QfO.jpg

Composite group

b8fQ13H.jpg

For those who want to make consistent 500, 600, 700, 800, 900, 1000 yards shots, just how are you determining your zero at distance? Through books and ballistic calculators? Those might get you on a 16 foot by 16 foot target, but I have pulled targets at 600 and 1000 yards where the shooter on the line was hitting the berm, or targets to the left or right, based on book values. If the shooter hits the berm or a target, we can walk the bugger onto the black. If however, he is shooting so far above the target, that he is hitting nothing but air, it is going to be a long day in the pits. At one of the range I shoot, you get five sighter shots to hit the 1000 yard target and then we stop pulling. Target pullers got tired of 10-20 minute sighting periods where shooters did not hit the target once. Aggravates everyone. And yet, people think they are just going to show up with some book value for a zero, dial it in, regardless of wind conditions, and they are going to hit some animal. Well sometimes they do. We are not also seeing, the misses and lost animals.

Do you feel robbed? Robbed because your technology can't compensate for poor shooting skills, skills that you don't even know, you don't have? That's being so incompetent that you don't even know you are incompetent.

U21sy9O.jpg

Last edited: