DONT LIKE SIG

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB

Since we're rehashing the SIG vs. Glock issue again, and some people seem to require more "recent" data (beyond the FBI and DEA tests, which ended in both agencies choosing Glock), here's some more:

http://www.nlectc.org/pdffiles/pistolsepr2000.pdf

Seems that in these tests, Glock entered the most pistol models (9mm, 40, 357SIG, 45) and had zero failures, whereas the Kimber, Kahr, Taurus and SIG pistols failed (with less entries). Very interesting.

Funny, I've seen references to at least 3 tests performed on both SIG and Glock where Glock won and still ZERO data showing SIG superiority. Very interesting indeed.

J. Parker

When somebody has their own personal experience with a certain brand, IMHO, that counts alot more than "testing" by any "agency" or "testing' faction. BB; What happened with the San Bernardino Co. Sheriffs Dept.? The FACT is Glock sent out a bunch of faulty Glock 21's. Thank God an officer wasn't killed because of it. You can quote all the tests you want but the bottom line is that Glock's, Beretta's, Sig-Sauer's, Ruger's, S&W's, and CZ's are all good quality pistol's. From one's own personal experience a shooter is biased toward one brand or the other. Just my thoughts, J. Parker

Zander

Must you be so childish?

"Is this to [sic] complex for you to comprehend?" -- 7th Fleet

Are you so stupid that you think that insulting my intelligence will win your argument for you?

"I have posted my credentials, other than having a big mouth and an affinity for Sig [sic] handguns what are yours???"

I deal in facts...not in product slander and insults.

The facts...not the hearsay, myths and recycled directives you seem intent on peddling...are that SIG pistols are currently issued by federal, state and local agencies because they are among the very best choices extant. As history shows, "cracked" frames are a non-issue and the service life of a current-production SIG is exceptional.

If they're reliable enough that SEALs and SS agents use them, that enhances their reputation, but it only underlines my experience with SIG pistols...in tens of thousands of rounds in several different models, I've had exactly two FTFs with one SIG P229/.40, and those were traced to weak ammunition.

RE: your "credentials"...

...they seem, so far, framed by ancient [i.e.-obsolete] directives and an inherent bias about as broad as the mighty Mississip'. Tsk, tsk...

Zander

Sure...

"Do you even know who Peter Kokalis is?"

Oh, sure...he's a good writer, knowledgeable and fallible like most of the well-known in his profession.

More importantly, do you know who Dean Speir is? ;)

"Yes, Glock 23s will blow up just by looking at them."

Actually, it's when you pull that crunch-n-ticker trigger on a loaded [inadequately supported] chamber that the dreaded and well-documented Glock kB! occurs.

Now, if you were *really* knowledgeable about self-destructing Glocks, you'd know that a very hush-hush re-design was undertaken without the dreaded word "recall" being uttered...at least by Glock management.

Are you concerned that numerous LEO and civilian casualties were deemed acceptable because Gaston was adamant that the design of his baby couldn't be questioned?

BB

BB; What happened with the San Bernardino Co. Sheriffs Dept.? The FACT is Glock sent out a bunch of faulty Glock 21's.

No, actually the FACT is that Glock sent out a bunch of perfectly fine Glock 21s with first generation magazines that exhibit a tendency to fail to feed (at a statisticly low average I might add; I have a couple of those same mags that function 100%), which have since been replaced with improved magazines, which the San Bernardino Co. Sheriffs Dept. still uses to this day. If the San Bernardino Co. Sheriffs Dept. has no problem with them, than whats your point?

When somebody has their own personal experience with a certain brand, IMHO, that counts alot more than "testing" by any "agency" or "testing' faction.

Maybe to that individual. But that certainly doesn't give one the "big picture" in regards to a weapons performance. I have owned 2 Glock 21s (first and third gen), a 19, a 17, a 20, and one of the FIRST 22 .40S&W Glocks ever made. Guess what? None exploded, melted, broke, needed to be adjusted or modified in any way. As a matter of fact, I have only had maybe 4 failures in all the thousands of rounds fired in all these Glocks and those were in the first 30 rounds of my first G21 which never had the problem since. At some point you have to set your own personal experience aside and look at the scientific tests that have been conducted to make a determination on a subject.

Zander

Hmmm...

"At some point you have to set your own personal experience
aside and look at the scientific tests that have been conducted to make a determination on a subject."

Well, that certainly depends on what you're trying to determine. If it's the trustworthiness of a firearm, especially one which is regularly carried, personal experience is the only kind that matters.

I'll not comment on the Beretta 92 series because I know little about it. Perhaps someone can offer the same sort of information on Beretta as is offered on Glock at http://communities.prodigy.net/sportsrec/gz.directory.html ... prepare to set aside your unquestioned faith in Glocks.

BB

results of provided link:
The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Open the communities.prodigy.net home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
Click the Back button to try another link.
Click Search to look for information on the Internet.

HTTP 404 - File not found
Internet Explorer

Yep, that says it all, don't it??
My faith in Glock is supposed to be shaken by a link to nowhere?

Ha! Just kidding dude. I see, anyway, that you are trying to reference Dean "I don't need to show actual data" Speir. Before you go referencing 'ole Dean, you may wish to look here (Prepare to set aside your unquestioned faith in gunrag writers): http://glocktalk.com/docs/gtubb/Forum3/HTML/011860.html

Glocks don't blow up unless you screw up.:)

FWIW, I have nothing against SIGs, other than what I stated in regards to excessive muzzle flip and crummy triggers. I'm sure theyre fine defensive handguns, I was just pointing out the fact that they have failed three very high-profile tests done recently where Glock has not.

[Edited by BB on 01-21-2001 at 12:27 PM]

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
For those who dont like SIGs...
HERETICS AND HEATHENS ALL OF YOU! ;)

Kidding...

I love SIGs. My #1 choice for DA autos.
Polished rails at the factory and some of the better trigger pulls you can get. Sights are great too.
No gun is perfect - but SIG gets closer that anyone else outside of the 1911 pattern.

SAWBONES

There will always be differences of opinion and preference about these things. Otherwise, half the topics discussed on these BBs would disappear!

I'm another who doesn't like Sig Sauers enough to keep one.
I've had 3 Sigs in two decades (a P225, a European P220, an American 1st-generation P220A), and found them ALL deficient-by-comparison to other guns.
My (first-purchased 9mm) H&K P7M8 was LOTS better made than the (next-purchased) Sig-Sauer P225, which suffered by comparison, and was accordingly sold.
I've liked the P220s well enough to have had two (European and American) at different times, but on balance, the .45 Glocks I own (models 21 & 30) are superior in enough ways, and to great enough degrees, that I've gotten rid of ALL my other .45s (1911s, Sigs, H&K USPs) in preference for the Glocks.
Because someone else feels differently doesn't change my perceptions about this.
I have friends who think the Sig is the best handgun made, but I'm sympathetic to their lack of experience, judgement and discernment. They've been influenced by the feel (tight lock-up of barrel-slide) and appearance (nice lines) of the Sigs, along with the Sigs' admittedly-high mechanical accuracy, but they can't perceive the deficiencies in ergonomics yet, like the Sigs' high bore axis (increased muzzle flip), awful DA trigger (awful by comparison to the Glocks' short, always-the-same "Safe-Action" trigger pull) and relative complexity/relative fragility. They'll eventually come around.

DAKODAKID

Hello Sawbones, Dakodakid here again bugging you
!!!lol
I personally don't care for Sigs or the 1911.
Do you think your P7 is superior to the Glock??
I think my P7's are pretty much superior to any
other gun out there.
I have never owned the Glock but I AM going to buy
one for my wife Mrs. Dakodakid.
She wants one in a .45 and after reading the
responses I recieved she deserves one!!!!
It is still hard for me to believe that the
Glock is superior to the HK USP...
I will learn more after I spend some time with my
wifes Glock...
The gunsmiths I know seem to do alot of work
on the Sigs.
I also see shooters at the range having trouble
with the Sigs..
Dont see alot of problems with the USP's or the
glocks though..

7th Fleet

DAKODAKID don't you dare buy your wife one of those Glock .45's, but if you do don't shoot it, because they are addicitive. A few of my officers have H&K USP's and they like them a lot, just be leary of dry firing them and have a spare firing pin on tap. They are prone to firing pin breakage problems. For what it's worth in my experience Officers who carry the 1911, qualify highest of all on their qualification scores, then the Glock shooters are next. Perhaps it's due to not having to deal with the double action to single action transistion. Like Jeff Cooper once said, a double action semiauto pistol is an ingenious solution to a nonexistant problem. ;)

7th

Zander

Hardly...

"(Prepare to set aside your unquestioned faith in gunrag writers):"

First, as proof that I actually read the thread, you should remember that "data" is the plural of "datum". ;)

Second, given that you were told by Dean exactly where you could find the data, why would you suggest they aren't available? Mighty strange, and beginning to sound a lot like, "...I did not have sex with that woman..."

Third, Dean is [as he says clearly himself] a *former* gunrag writer, in no small part because Gaston Glock was awfully upset that he published information about certain Glock models predisposed to kB!s.

RE: SIG triggers...

They tend to be smooth and consistent. They are models of efficiency compared to those spongy crunch-n-tickers they drop in Glocks. That said, I really don't have anything against Glocks except that they just don't point well for me, although I can shoot the newer generation frames reasonably well.

I have a G36...still new in the box. I bought it to reward Glock management for telling the sociofascists of the Clinton Admnistration [is that an oxymoron or what?!] to stick their agreement where the sun don't shine. :cool:

buzz_knox

Keep it up, fellers! This is funny!

I own Sigs and Glocks and have relied on both to protect my poor non-LEO hindquarters. Both have their good points and both have their bad points. I currently carry a Glock because it's a bit less chunky than my 229 (don't care for the grip on the 239) and I like the easier trigger pull, as well as the ability to clean one's weapon in the dishwasher. :) If Sig made a true 225 sized .40, .357 Sig, or .45, I'd have to seriously consider re-learning the DA pull. (Such a sweet weapon).

BB

Listen dude, whats your problem? You'd think I kicked your dog or something. It's a GUN, a tool, for cryin out loud. You say SIG is great? Fine. Theyre great. Are you happy now?

All I said, and I'll say again, is that:

1. Glock has excelled in 3 seperate tests where SIG failed those same tests. Tests performed by federal and/or private organizations, not speculation based on unseen data collected by a hothead gunrag writer.

2. SIGs are fine handguns. I'm sure of that else they wouldn't have people like you frothing at the mouth over something as silly as this thread.

3. I don't like the excessive muzzle flip that the high bore axis produces, and I don't like the trigger. While your trigger may "tend to be smooth and consistent" (how, exactly, is a DA/SA trigger consistent? Oh well...), those which I have handled were far from it. Gritty and decidedly inconsistent would be my words. Shoot, my $100 Makarov has a better trigger than any SIG I've handled, with exception to the P210. As for the Glock trigger, while it's not a tuned single-action trigger I appreciate it's light take up, crisp break and short reset, as well as TRUE consistency.

Second, given that you were told by Dean exactly where you could find the data, why would you suggest they aren't available? Mighty strange, and beginning to sound a lot like, "...I did not have sex with that woman..."

Where, exactly did he tell me I could find the data? I've read and re-read his post, and darned if I can find where he says where it is. Please tell me, as I've asked many times, and still can't find it. Dean DID NOT, HAS NOT, posted ANY of the data he used to make his speculations in the Kb (case failure) FAQ on the internet. I've been a member of the Glock mailing list for years, and the only thing he ever posted was the info you see in the FAQ. That is not data, no matter what he says. It's speculation based on some as yet unseen data "collected" by Speir. He's gone to great lengths to bad-mouth and ridicule those who ask to see the original data (much like you have done throughout this thread), and even posted his laughable "Glock-talk challenge". Seems to me, if he really wanted to put this to an end he would have spent his energy producing that which was asked for in the first place. I'm confused as to your point is exactly? Are you comparing Speirs undocumented FAQ to the documented, scientific tests conducted by the FBI, DEA, and NLECTC? Whats more, I don't appreciate your thinly veiled allegations that I am a liar. I have spoken directly, cordially, and with respect to Mr. Speir, and received a hostile personal attack for my trouble. I do not behave in that fashion.

[Edited by BB on 01-22-2001 at 06:20 PM]

SAWBONES

I've shot examples of both good & bad Sig DA triggers. The worst Sig DA triggers are still better than average examples of DA H&K USP triggers. Good DA Sig triggers are pretty smooth.
Nonetheless, I can find NO reason to live with a gun that requires a DA/SA transition, Sig included, and "DA-only" is usually even worse.
A relatively short, "always-the-same-for-every-shot" trigger is much to be preferred. Such is present on the Glocks and on the H&K P7 series of guns. Some "DA-only" triggers, eg, on selected Kahr pistols, are also acceptable, though not usually as good as the Glocks. Why be handicapped by such a device? Sure, its deficiencies can be partly overcome with practice, but to what purpose?
If you do much professional training, you'll see that the Sig shooters don't do very well on their first shots, or subsequently (if forced to decock when moving, as they should), whenever they're having to shoot DA/SA in a halfway-realistic way, that is, with strings of fire that require consistent accuracy while under time pressure, on moving targets.
(ALL SIG LOVERS CHIME IN AT THIS POINT, TO SAY THAT THE DA/SA TRANSITION JUST TAKES PRACTICE, AND THAT THEY'VE GOT IT DOWN PAT.)

DAKODAKID; I don't really consider either the P7M8 or the Glock 30 to be superior, one to the other. I like both. Certainly, the P7s have the "finer" materials and more intricate mechanism, yet are extremely reliable for all that. The Glocks have "elegantly-simple" engineering and execution, which I find most appealing. I almost always carry the Glock 30, mostly because I prefer the .45ACP cartridge, though the P7 is often pressed into service, too.
I've pretty much given up on all semiauto handguns except Glocks (9mm and .45ACP) and P7s (9mm) for the present, having owned or shot multiple examples of most everything made over the past 20 years, and I've found nothing to match or exceed those, for the combination of reliability, ergonomics, ease of carry & shooting, and accuracy. (Oh, and I'd have another 1911 or three again, but only if real left-handed models were available. I don't like two-sided safeties, and besides, they're all WAY overpriced.)
Best.

Zander

Speir told you flatly what your comment was...

I've re-read your comments on the link you provided.

You poked Dean in the ribs and got punched in the mouth for your trouble. There's no doubt...he's a curmudgeon and he doesn't suffer fools gladly; but he does his homework.

RE: the data...

Speir clearly states to whom he sent the data. Further, he has offered to post them in raw form in .pdf for your and others' benefit. Further, his responses to you in the GZ are extensive and persuasive.

RE: my reference to Bill Clinton's comment...

I am dismayed that I chose that analogy to demonstrate your seeming inability to recognize the obvious; no one deserves to be compared to that sociopath.

You have my sincere apology.

BrokenArrow

Gadzooks! Where to start?

In the late 80s the FBI had a service life requirement of 40K rounds, not sure they still do. They issued SIG 226/228 for several years, remember? Why? Cuzz Glock scored waaay lower in those tests from the 80s you quote. The S&W645 and SIGP226 were the top pistols in those tests (why the 10mm S&W 1076 looked the way it did; they tried to combine the two in features and caliber?). The Glock and Ruger the bottom two BTW, now Glock is Numero Uno. When the Glock 40s were selected in 97, they were tested to 20K rounds each to establish maint requirements, the go/no go figure was only 10K rounds. One-third, 33% (2 out of 6) broke major parts (the trigger bars) under 20K rounds (17,131/19,494). Since the service life requirement for the test was only 10K rounds they passed; if it had been 20K rounds they would have failed, and the second place pistol would have been fully tested and adopted if it passed. SIGs, Berettas, and S&W alloy framed pistols are still on the approved list BTW. A guy I know who used to work the FBIs/FTU said it was not that unusual for a SIG to crack a frame during the new agents 5K rounds fired during initial academy training. Scores w the Glock 40s are slightly better than they were w the SIG 9s too.

The Glocks failed the DEA tests in 92, why they issued SIG 228s (the FBI piggy-backed that contract BTW). Guns tossed Frisbee style across the floor fired and/or the slides popped off the frame; the SIGs passed. Maybe they shoulda droped the Glocks from helicopters instead? Now the DEA has signed contracts w SIG, Glock, HK for pistols. Chicago PD does not approve Glocks. NYPD did/does not now approve SIGs. NYPD has had oodles of problems w jamming in their G19s though, even w ball ammo. Chicago PD had a single SIG slam fire during a reload, and SIG modified all the pistols. A PD in NY state had a Glock slam fire/go full auto about the time of the DEA failures, why the safety sytem/frame rails were "upgraded" 10 yrs after passing NATO tests. Guess CPD and NYPD cops are tougher than European troopers? The Royals bodyguards carry Glocks, the SAS uses SIGs.

Texas DPS/Rangers had a service life requirement of 40K for the slide/frame, 20K for the barrel. Who got the contract? SIG w the P220/226/228, and most recently w the P226 in 357SIG. That means SIG will repair/replace any that don't make it, not that they guarantee they all will BTW.

SIG was issued/approved by every major federal agency, still is. Scored better than the Glock 40s in the INS/Border Patrol test BTW. They issue Beretta/USPs, apporove SIGs, not Glocks. The USMC tested some G21s about 92 or so and they did so bad everybody prefers not to mention it (mean rounds between stoppages/MRBS was a very dismal 1/134 IIRC. The HK Mk 23 was 1/6000-15,000, the M11 (SIG 228) 1/15,000 (5000 x 3 guns), the latest for the M9 is 1/30,000 (168,000 in 12 guns). The DEA, FBI, US Marshals Service, Customs were mostly SIGs, are now mostly Glocks.
US Secret Service tailored their last last pistol contract to the SIG, the same way the FBIs HRT/SWAT did the 1911.

Contract service life for the Beretta M9 was 5000 rounds. Local USAF base has over 30K through it's training pistols with no problems, have never broken a slide, broken blocks are very rare.

AFAIK, no fractures since 91/92. There was some problems with some lots of early M882 ammo. Pressures were measured wrong, and levels exceeded proof loads, over 50K and well over the 36,250 the M882 avgs. Some sub-sonic stuff the Navy used was just as high or higher (loads, even at low velocites, can generate very high pressures ya know if messed up just right). There were a total of 18 slide failures, six in the field and 12 in the labs (if there were more, I missed em, but I retired in 98) 4 Navy, 2 Army, and these:

From Army tests to slide failure:

1 -- 2/08/88; 6,007 rounds; M9
2 -- 3/10/88; 4,908 rounds; M9
3 -- 3/14/88; 17,408 rounds; 92SB-F
4 -- 3/16/88; 21,264 rounds; 92F
5 -- 3/17/88; 24,656 rounds; 92F
6 -- 3/17/88; 7,806 rounds; M9
7 -- 5/23/88; 21,942 rounds; M9
8 -- 5/26/88; 21,486 rounds; M9
9 -- 6/22/88; 23,310 rounds; M9
10 -- 7/14/88; 30,083 rounds; M9
11 -- 6/18/88; 30,545 rounds; M9
12 -- 8/25/88; 27,684 rounds; M9

You will note that the commercial version guns all went 17k+ rounds, the three worst at significantly less than 10k rounds were M9s ... this supports that unusual metallurgy was involved in some of the early production M9 guns (all guns that broke were of Italian make; since 3rd year of contract they are made in the USA). Also, the guns were fired after locking blocks broke and that stresses the slide more; replace a broken block in time, the slides last a lot longer.

Altogether, the average was 19,758 rounds before slide destruction. Remove the three dogs and the average becomes 24,264 rounds. Contract service life only specified 5000 rounds. Latest guns tested lasted 35K for frames, 75K for slides/barrels, 20K for blocks. That's w mil-spec ammo, same as SAAMI +P; w std loads they can go 2-3 times or more as long. Ted Nugent put over 100K through his 92F. No problem?

Beretta took the Navy to court and won. DoD, including the Navy, has bought over 100K more M9s over the original 350K contracted for since all that happened too, only a few thousand SIG 228/226s. Spin that any way ya want (the missile bases we wanted in Italy were closed long before those new purchases were made; we did want to keep some German bases open though... :)).

LAPD/LASD has been using Berettas for almost 15 yrs, like em a lot. The Beretta Brigadier 40 was 5 times as reliable as the Glock, and three times as reliable as the SIG in the INS/BP tests. SIG is an approved option, Glock is not. They have also approved the USP compact.

During the M9 trials, the SIGs cracked frames under 10K too, but since it happened after the 5K mark, they passed
(SIG P226 developed frame crack at 6,523 rounds; another had a crack discovered at the 7k mark).

In Oct of 99 Baltimore County PD found cracks in the slide of 52 of the 1400 SIG 226s they had issued. They switched to sig pros in 40. Royal Canadian Mounted Police used some SIGs, switched to the more durable S&W steel framed pistols.
CHP has over 30-50K rounds through some of their steel S&W 4006s.

Amarillo TX PD had mucho G21s blow up. Contact range master Mike Dunlap (if he's still there) for an earful. Bernalillo county NM blew up Glock 40/45s w factory ammo. Albuquerque PD has cracked some Glock slides (duty ammo is Fed 124 HS +P+); they both still prefer em.

The CT and OH state police switched from Beretta to SIG. Arkansa state police switched from SIG to Glock. Alameda county switched from Glock to SIG. RCMP from SIG to S&W. FBI from S&W/SIG to Glock, INS/BP from Glock to Beretta/HK/SIG... round n round we go?

Talk to folks at high volume rental ranges. The Glocks, Rugers, 1911s, CZs are most likely to go over 100K rounds, the SIGs and Berettas the least, BHPs and steel S&Ws in the middle. S&Bs are the most reliable out of the box.

The Ruger auto pistols failed the FBI, US Military, INS/BP tests, early pistols were recalled, but I have had/seen less problems from them than Glock, SIG or Beretta on military/cop/private/public ranges the last 12 yrs or so. I have a P97 w 5K trouble free rounds through it that is as good as any pistol I ever owned (name it). Have seen parts break on SIGs, Berettas, USPs in the first 5K rounds. I have had Glock trigger springs/trigger bars break on new guns the first time I shot them! Had a friend blow up a Ruger GP100 revolver w Fed factory ammo the first time he shot it! A friend has a pet IPSC load (200 at 900) that kBs in his Glock w the factory barrel, works fine in his SIGMA, or the Glock w a Briley barrel in it. Ya never know? :)

[Edited by BrokenArrow on 01-24-2001 at 08:45 AM]

Status
Not open for further replies.