Describe your carry gun "evolution".

bubbaturbo

I'm glad we don't have that ridiculous ban on carrying guns (even if they only hold 10 rounds) outside of our houses here!!!

cheifwatchman

The state I lived in didn't have CCW or open carry. Only cops could carry w/ the only exception was armed security guards. So in the 80s I started w/ a S&W M19 357 magnum w/ 4" barrel. Then came the wonder 9s. Besides revolvers suck & pistols are better. Also guards could only load .38 +P ammo in 357 magnums. At the time I tought that sucked. Today if I ever carried a revolver it would be .38 +P only. I degress. My first wonder 9 was a S&W M459. I carried that until I heard the military was switching to the Beretta 92FS. So i carried a Berretta 92FS. I didn't like the DA/SA trigger transition so I wanted the same trigger pull. I heard Glocks had the same trigger pull. So in 92 I bought a Glock 17. Then in 97 I move to an open carry state w/ CCW permit available. I'm too cheap to pay for a CCW permit w/ open carry allowed. legally open carry includes a belt holster thats partly visible. So I can put a cover garment over my holster & have the hoster tip showing. I still carry the Glock 17.

hdm25

Browning hi-power,

Colt Series 80 Government model,

Alternated between those two and a H&K P7M8 or M13 for a while,

Got rid of the M13,

Picked up a Colt Commander,

Went to the Browning full-time and got rid of everything else,

Springfield 1911,

Back to Browning,

Tried Sig P220, P229, Springfield Champion, Springfield Compact, Kel-tec P32, full-sized Springfield again,

H&K P7M8,

NOW

Either a Caspian 1911 or a Browning hi-power.

I don't know if I started out right and then experimented or if I evolved and then devolved...don't know...

I am now DONE with the switching, though. If it's not a 1911 in full size or Commander length with full-sized frame or if its not a hi-power, then I'm not interested.

blades67

I started carrying a Colt Python when I needed the losers driving cages to respect my right to the full lane.

Then I started getting more tools for the toolbox.

My everyday carry gun is my SIG Sauer P220. I carry others as needed.

nvrquit

Small to large, moderate to potent...

My CCW history is as follows:

Bersa model 85 .380 ACP, using CorBon or HydraShoks
Ruger KP94 DA/SA 9mm, using CorBon 124gr. or Golden Sabre
Taurus PT940 .40 S&W, using 135gr. Corbon
Beretta Cougar 8045 .45 ACP, using 165gr. CorBon
Sig P229 .357Sig, using ProLoad or Gold Dot 124gr.
S&W 1066 10mm, using 135gr. CorBon or 175gr. WIN Silvertip

The last one shares duty with a Glock G20(still trying to locate some prebans that don't cost 1/5 to 1/4 of the pistol's price). Several other pistols have served duty in that mix, but for the last six years, with very rare exception, the caliber has always been a minimum of .40 S&W.

Blue Duck357

Agency I work for requires 357 revolvers (Colt,S/W or Ruger) on duty for concealed carry. I'd complain but with no CCW in my state guess I should be happy to be able to carry legally at all.

Short list:

S/W 640
S/W 65 3"
S/W 19 4" (Winter, when 65 was having some work done on it)
s/W 19 2 1/2" (awaiting next qualification)

Played around carrying autos *mainly* off duty (fine by policy). Joked I would be filling out leave form in the middle of a gunfight ;) Played with Glock 23 and 1991A1, just figured I was "bending" the rules a bit much and would have enough paperwork to deal with as it was and went back to revolvers.

It's come full circle.

I started out with a small-frame Charter Arms 5-shot .38 Spl., and now carry a 5-shot S&W 042 regularly.

I've dabbled here and there -- a Taurus PT-22, and when the weather allows an S&W Model 19 2.5" or a Kahr K9, but the revolver is now, and always has been, my go to carry gun.

Fullauto60

I am a big guy. So i can carry my 4506.
I also carry a a glock17.once or twice i have carried my 629 clasic 8 inch. all i got from my wife was "you wish"
But i felt manly.:p

jAK-47

My evolution for CCW can be summed up with, "Smaller/More Concealable is Better!"

My first CCW was a Beretta96! Beautiful gun but like carrying a brick. I ended up leaving it at home too often. The store owner talked me out of a Glock because, "There's no safety and it's too dangerous for a newbie". I think he meant well but...

My next gun was a Glock26 :D and I've had it ever since; it goes everywhere with me. However, in the HOT weather even that is sometimes too big so that brings me to gun #3 -

Kel Tec P32! DISAPPEARS in a bathing suit! I may upgrade to the P-3AT soon.

So, P32 HOT, G26 COLD. So far, it works for me. YMMV.

jAK-47

Charles S

Interesting thread.

My evolution parallels the majority of posters and I have tried to balance small, thin, and light with shoot able and reliable.

I am a big guy and when I was young I felt the need to carry big guns.

I started with a Beretta 92 and decided to move up to a 45.

I carried a S&W 645 for a while, it was a very accurate reliable gun.

I decided I needed a shorter barrel and carried a S&W 4567 for a while.

I found I could carry the above guns well with good leather. The Milt Sparks Executive worked well for me for all 3 guns.

I fell in love with a Browning Hi-Power and carried it for a while. I still really like this gun. Just after I started carrying the Browning I moved to Waco, TX. I decided smaller, lighter and stainless was the way to go.

I carried a Ruger SP101 for several years. I still carry this gun at times.

I have always been more comfortable with autos and soon I found myself carrying a S&W CS45. It is a great gun also.

I then discovered the Kahr K9.

attachment.php

This is my current carry gun. I have carried the Kahr for a little more than 3 years now and I am very pleased with it.

I have shot a defensive handgun course with it. My last conceal carry renewal course and a night shooting course. I have a little over 4000 rounds through the gun and I am really impressed with its reliability, concealability, comfort during carry and shoot ability.

I must say if you shoot about 1000 rounds over 3 days with a gun that small it can make your hand sore and give you blisters, but I was impressed that the gun could take that level of service.

Charles

Attachments

• Kahr.jpg
    Kahr.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 4,024
Last edited:

Birdwatcher

I started with an Enfield Mark 1* (1943) as a general knock-around, recreation and home defense handgun back when these funky revolvers and their ammo were flooding the gun shows, figuring if it was good enough for the Brits...

Clinton's first election back in '92 spurred a spate of gun buying on my part, figuring I'd better get them while I still easily could. First purchase was a .38 Smith Mod 60 w/3" barrel.

I tried several semi-autos in various calibers. My absolute dumbest trade-in during those years was a 1911A1 as partial payment on a S&W CS45 .45 auto.

When Smith came out with their current .357 version of that Mod 60 I traded for that too.

Learned a couple of things along the way:
1) I ain't a collector by disposition, if I ain't shooting it I have no use for it.
2) .45 autos are fun to shoot, and those big bullets are comforting to have on hand when things get scary. On the other hand the .45 doesn't downsize particularly well, and loses a lot of power out of short barrels.
3) The 9mm downsizes admirably, ammo is cheap, prob'ly my choice if I had a semi-auto.
4) Glocks don't have a safety to speak of.
5) I prefer revolvers even though semi-autos are better combat weapons. My wife and son can both use a revolver easily, and everyone can see when its loaded. Plus a revolver can sit for long periods without worry about springs etc.
6) Size and weight matter a lot, my comfortable max is about 27oz.
7) Utility matters a lot too, the gun you shoot best with is the one you also shoot for fun. My .357 3" Mod 60 fits the bill admirably. Small enough to pack, big enough to be fun to shoot (I used it to teach my wife and son how to shoot). Another plus, it shoots the same round as my Marlin 1894 levergun.

Birdwatcher

jerryd

Started in 1969 with a colt 1911, then went to a 70s ltw commander, then back to full size, back to commander, Then i 2003 went to kimber pro then glock 19 summer carry, then back to 45s. Now its either a kimber ultra carry, Pro CDP, or Colt Officers model, either 45 or 9 nothing else!

Mac Attack

As Shake stated:
"BIG > Smaller > small"

That about describes my CCW.

First I started with my G30 in a sidearmor IWB holster. Due to the overall bulk of the G30, and the fact that I could barely fit it inside my pants. I then changed to a HK P7M8 which I carried in a Milt Sparks VM2. I then decided that I needed something that I could just throw in my pocket without the need of a belt. I found my J-Frame S&W 638 in the safe which I proceeded to carry in my front right pocket in a DeSantis Nemesis holster. Since summer time was just around the corner I decided I needed something even more compact and light. I ended up purchasing a Keltec P32 which I carry in a Nemesis.

When I wear the appropriate attire I carry my P7M8 but when I am wearing the bare minimum I carry my P32 and sometime my S&W 638.

Mac

Last edited:

Betty

Interarms Walther PPK/S .380 (broke a day after I got my carry permit)
Kahr K40 (still have)
Taurus 617 (traded off)
Now it's a HK USPc .45ACP or S&W 640.

My backups went from a NAA Mini Mag in .22 Magnum to a Colt Mustang.

.45 Vet

Started with a Taurus 85, then jumped on the firepower bandwagon in the 80's with a P-85. Then down-sized? to a SP-101-.357, it packs easier on the motorcycle. But when old man winter gets here, and my clothing bulks up and offers more concealment, then a Combat commander in .45acp rides on my hip. :)

Last edited:

charleym3

Some of the things I've tried in no particular order.
Glock 21, Ruger P95, Sig 226 - Too big
1911, GP100, S&W 625 MG - Too heavy
S&W 10/64 - Too long
S&W 625 3inch - Almost there but still heavy

Current choice S&W 325PD. Grips are everything, went to Pachmayr.

cool9mm

First was a Lorcin .380. :eek: Then I got a HyPoint 9mm. :eek: Very good deals on both, as in practically given to me. Then I got a Ruger P95DC. Very good gun but I always wanted a Beretta so I bought a Vertec a couple of years ago.

OBdoc

picking CCW is a JOURNEY not a single decision

brownin HP (high cap wondernine)
but heavy

Smith & Wesson 640 (alum alloy .38 special)
just no fun to shoot, so call me a wimp...

Glock 23 ( mid sized .40 S&W)
fine, but don't they make bigger handgun bullets?

Glock 30 (mid sized .45 ACP)
perfect, almost

because i can

waiting on reliable .50 cal for personal defense...

SapperLeader

I started off a keltec p11 - hated the trigger. I then purchased a sprignfield xd subcompact 9mm. Loved the gun, but wanted a full size, based on the theory if I ever was in a gunfight, I wanted a gun I could shoot. I then carried my springfield xd 9mm, but it was too thick. Then it was a 1911 full size, which was perfectly thin but a little heavy. My next carry gun will be my new browning hp, once it gets tested with my carry load choice.