Describe your carry gun "evolution".

Kahrgo9

1 - Colt Diamondback - adjustable sights, loved it - former friend STOLE it.
2 - CZ85 - carried it for awhile, then sold it, trigger had a terrible hitch.
3 - Ruger P89 - still have it, except my son has borrowed it
4 - Kahr K-9 - this is my "Sunday-go-to-meetin' gun" - very concealable.
5 - Ruger P95 - still have it, another son borrowed it.
6 - Springfield XD-9 - very accurate and enjoyable, carried it until i got ->
7 - Springfield XD-40 - not quite as accurate, but I still carry it 1/3 the time.
8 - Ruger P97 - most accurate and my most carried gun, love a .45ACP.

I've had and have others, but very rarely as carry guns.

BarryinIN

In order of appearance,
S&W 19 .357 Mag 6" barrel (first handgun).
S.A. framed, parts gun, 1911 .45
Browning HiPower 9mm
Sig P220 .45
S&W 3913 9mm

Somewhere in here, a J-frame .38 went in a pocket always

Glock 22 .40
Glock 23 .40
Browning HiPower
HK USP .40
HK USP .45
Browning HiPower
Glock 19
Beretta 92
Glock 29
Browning HiPower
Beretta 92
Sig P228 9mm
Sig P220 .45
Sig 239 .357 Sig
Browning HiPower
HK P7

And now,
any of these three, in order,
Browning HiPower,
HK P7

Malamute

Didn't specify "concealed"...

I started with my Smith model 29 6 1/2" nickel when I moved to AZ in '81. Got a nice Colt SAA 44 spl Nickel 4 3/4" that I carried for a fair amount of time. Stupidly traded the SAA for a Colt National Match .45. Had and carried several Colt .45 autos, but never owned one that was completely reliable under all conditions (like not cleaning it for weeks/months, daily open carry in the dust of AZ...). The revolvers ALWAYS work!!!! If they are cleaned right in the beginning, carrying doesn't seem to hurt their reliability over time. Flirted with a couple of Smith 357's, but always felt a bit funny carrying a smaller caliber gun when I could have a 44 or 45 for about the same trouble of carry. Especially when living where there are bears. Never cared for the extrememly sharp muzzle blast of the 357 either. So,...Aquired a nice 4" blue Smith 29 along the way and carried it most for about 8 years until a hand injury prevented me from shooting a DA with heavy loads. Now a SA Ruger 45 for most carry. I have spent a large amount of time in the hills in Az, and living in Wyoming since '89 with grizzlies that could literally be out the front door, keep 325 gr Keith type bullets loaded to around 1150+fps in it most of the time. Still have the old 4" 29 around for a truck gun with medium loads. Nice when the town fills up with bikers in the summer.

When I was an Evil Landlord I carried a Smith 640 in my front pocket when dealing with party complaints and doing evictions. Never got a CCW, as there is about zero crime here, and the places I travel that don't allow a gun to be loaded on the seat of your vehicle don't have CCW's, so no point for me. (All the mountain states allows you to carry your gun loaded on the seat, or on your belt) When I was a Landlord I was on my private property, so didn't need a permit there.

Is this only handguns? I keep an ancient Winchester 94 carbine in the truck at all times, and the Browning 1886 carbine is always in there too. The 86 is the primary "carry gun" when walking or camping in the mountains, the Ruger .45 would be the "back-up" I guess.

Last edited:

goldflounder

I just got a Glock 21 with a DeSantis thumb break holster. (@4:00 for CCW) Carried it all day yesterday. IMO, a little too bulky for daily carry. I prefer my G19 w/DeSantis. Kel-Tec P32 for backup, just above my ankle in my tube sock, or in a pocket.

MY CARRY HISTORY:

Beretta 21...................way too small, jammed more than I cared for
S&W 19 4"...................too big & bulky (full-size grips), otherwise, great!
Taurus 85 DAO.............great carry piece, still carry it sometimes
Baby Eagle .40s&w........nice gun, a little too heavy & bulky for me
Beretta 92...................another nice gun, but still a bit big for daily carry
Browning 9mm Hi-Power..borrowed from my dad, cried when I had to return it
Glock 19 3rd gen...........love @ first sight, still my 1st choice!
Kel-tec P32..................super light, reliable, concealable, just too small
Glock 21 2.5 gen...........weight is not bad, I like the .45acp, but too bulky

IN THE YEAR 2000!!!: (the future, Conan?)

Glock 26, 27 or 33.........the pocket rockets!
Walther PPK.................shaken, definately shaken.
HK P7.........................as soon as I win the frikkin' lottery
Sig P226/8/9................almost bought P226 instead of my G21 (.45 rules!)
Ruger SP101 .38spl........single-double action snubbie (w/hammer)

c.r.

Fifteen years ago :S&W model 37 and a Colt 1911. Ken Null ankle holster and Bruce Nelson vertical scabbard for .45.

In between : Alot of diffrent revolvers/pistols and holsters. ALOT !

Present day: A S&W model 642 and a Les Baer, TRS 1911. Ken Null ankle rig and a Milt Sparks BN#55 vertical scabbard.

I cannot beat this combination. I just took me several thousand dollars and a long time to figure it out. :rolleyes:

nagantfan

Now Using a PM9

Kahr PM-9 in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster, stuck in the top of my cowboy boot under my bell-bottom jeans (I'm self-employed, so I wear the boots and jeans every day).

Absolutely undetectable.

Good pistol, too. Fired 400 rounds flawlessly. Fired a couple hundred more with two hiccups; pistol wasn't lubed properly, so it was probably my fault. More accurate than I thought, too.

Seems to like 124-grain Federal +p+ ammo the best, accuracy-wise. Others come close (Winchester 127-gr. +p+ and Speer Gold Dot +p).

Will have to change holster situation when warmer weather comes along. Thinking Milt Sparks Watch Six for IWB in shorts and tee-shirt weather.

Switched to PM-9 from P239 because PM-9 was much, much easier to carry and conceal.

Switched from S&W 296 to P239 because 296 wasn't accurate beyond arm's length, because it hurt to shoot it and because I could get it to jam. (A revolver, and a Smith, no less)

Switched from Taurus 85 to S&W 296 because the 85 was inaccurate past arm's length, and becuase (with +p ammo) it was VERY unpleasant to shoot.

May not be much switchihng from the PM-9. Have ordered a De Santis Nemesis for sticking in pocket or boot; it may replace the Uncle Mike's, but that's about as much change (except to IWB carry for warmer weather) that as there is likely to be unless I take the pistol to the range sometime soon and it turns out to just have gone straight to the devil....

gr8gun

SIG P232... felt underpowered (sold it)
Beretta Mini Cougar 8045... felt too bulky (sold it)
HK P7M8... couldn't get used to the grip safety (sold it)
Kimber Ultra... proved unreliable (sold it)
Wilson KZ45 Compact... perfect - but I decided not to carry a 1911 (kept it)
Kahr PM9... great for work carry as a pocket gun when that's the only option
SIG P239 9mm... decided that if I'm going to carry a single-stack, might as well be a bigger caliber (sold it for the G36)
Glock G36... thought this would be the one, but proved unreliable (kept it anyway)
Kahr K40... perfect for days that I'm not concerned with capacity (use it)
Glock G32... if clothing allows, this is what I carry. (use it)

The future...
I'm interested in the HK P2000, or possibly a SA XD. And I'm thinking about a S&W 325PD for hiking.
And some day I'd like to carry my SIG GSR in a vertical shoulder holster. :)

XavierBreath

In 1991, I started with a Beretta 92FS. It was bulky and hard to conceal.

I tried a couple of J Frames, but I really didn't have confidence in the caliber. Same with a Walther PPK/S.

I tried a HK USPc in .40S&W. It was a great pistol, I carried it for a couple of years, and would occasinally swap it out with a Beretta Mini-Cougar in .40S&W. Both were a bit bulky, but better than the 92FS.

I got a Kahr K40. That was a great carry piece, but my wife took it. She still carries it.

I went with a Smith M60-9. Caliber problem resolved.

I finally settled on a Paraordnance C6.45LDA. It will occasionally get swapped out for a Government Model or Commander, or if need be, the M60-9. I also have a KelTec P32 for when I cannot conceal anything bigger.

Update on mine..... As of late, I have begun carrying my Government Model more and more, and the Para less and less. It's winter, and I can conceal it easier. A S&W M38 has made it into my pocket, effectively displacing the P32. It also displaced the M60-9. As the weather heats up again, that Para may come back out of the safe. Time will tell.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Started with Smith revolvers and 1911's. The J-frames were too wimpy, and the 1911's were unreliable with HydraShocks and Speer "Flying Ashtrays", plus they didn't hold enough rounds. Changed to DA/SA Smiths in 9mm. They held lots of rounds, but the cartridge was suddenly declared anemic by everybody, so I had to ditch them. Went to Glocks & SIGs, usually in .40 or 10mm, for many years. Started carrying a P7M8, 'cause it was skinny and had a good trigger.

Now all I carry are Smith revolvers and 1911's. :)

Bullrock

My first problem is trying to remember...

1959 a .38 Special (on and off duty carry)
Ruger single action 6 inside belt. (not very practical)
Ruger .357 with Oak grips ( don't remember the model, wheel gun) should have kept it.

Didn't carry for a bunch of years.

I went back to the Ruger .357 GP-100 (can't find oak grips for it)
Beretta Tom Cat (too small, the slide damn near broke my left thumb) (gone)
Glock .26 (Nice carry, but no grip without extensions) It's around here, somewhere.
SW66 (nice wheelgun but now I'm into auto's). Also a keeper.
Taurus Millenium Pro-111SS. (nice carry, no problems, disliked the grips) It's around here, somewhere.
Taurus PT-92SS. Nice range gun. Too large for carry.
I currently carry the Browning Pro-9. It's a great gun. But, if Browning doesn't make the 16 Cap. Mags. available soon, it may be with the some of the others, around here, somewhere!

Ozzieman

Good question, it can tell a lot about shooters

1. Dan Wesson 4 inch. 6 months Unreliable and too heavy.
2. Blued Charter arms Bulldog in 44. 3 years, Wore it out shooting.
3.Browning BDA. 1 year, easy to carry but not much of a round in 380.
4. Colt combat comander. still have but was again to heavy
I now have 3 guns that I carry depending on weather, and personal wants
5. Charterarms stanles Bulldog in 44. Trust it, lots of firepower.
6. Stanless Walther PPKs its like not carring a gun that easy to hide and light, mostly summer gun.
7 Kimber combatcarry 45acp, it I call my sunday go to meeting gun (Not that I carry a gun to church its just my high end piece.)

vito

Started with a Browning 25 caliber (I didn't know better) almost 40 years ago, then went with a Browning 380 (I don't even remember the model). Now I switch between a S&W 640 with 357 JHP ammo and a Kimber Ultra Carry with Remington 230 grain JHP ammo. The 640 is 100% reliable, but the Kimber is close to that and just feels so right (plus it has 7 rounds instead of 5).

hivel37

I have owned guns for 50 odd years, but only started carrying in 2000.

1. Berretta 92FS (very nice but doesn't fit my hand)
2. Daly compact 1911 (reliable shooter but still a little large)
3. Kahr PM9 (my present carry)

I'd like to carry a 12 ga coach gun but holsters are hard to find. grin.

Slash in NC

S&W Sigma 40V - Sold it

Taurus Ultra light 38- Still have and use it as a back up

Kahr E9 too heavy- for sale if you want it :)

Para 14 45 LDA- even heaver, what was I thinking. Range use only now.

S&W model 65 3 inch- Wife stole it for her carry gun

Sig 228 - Great gun, for when I'm feeling a bit SIG

Glock 27 Carry mostly every day

Glock 23- cold weather gun

S&W Model 19 2.5 inch barrel- for when I'm feeling retro :)