Demro/Foxco TAC-1 carbine

Silver-Fox

Recoil buffers

I believe Trapper John was the member that was amking the recoil buffers and may have a copy of the manual.

trapper john

Fox buffers

I no longer make the buffers for the fox carbine-- Like Paul Harvey used to say--" and heres the REST of the story" I just found out something interesting AND disconcerting about the proscess of making any kind of parts for firearms and I would like to pass this info along to all who visit Firing Line-- I just read an article in a publication called Small Arms Review by Moose Lake Publishing Tele (702)565-2926-- It is in the October issue Vol.13 No.1--( a very informative and interesting magazine) The article is titled ITAR? What in the world is ITAR! by Jason M. Wong-- It describes an existing Federal agency put in place by the passing of several laws - The first being the Arms Control And Disarmament Act which became law on 9-26-61-- The second is the Arms Export Control Act passed in 1976--Arising from these laws is a Federal regulation that governs the manufacture and export of defense articles from the U.S.-- This in turn contains a "munitions list"-- Catagory No.1 of this munitions list includes all firearms components parts and accessories and is intended to be "all encompassing"---It states basically that if a person makes or otherwise "manufactures" ANY part or accessory for ANY firearm whether or not the part is "exported or not or whether or not it is just produced in your home workshop or on your garage drillpress the Feds consider you to be in the "business " of manufacturing defense related items -- At this point , to be "legal" and to not incur the wrath of this State Dept. agency you are "required to register with with what is termed the Ditectorate OF Defense Trade Controls DDTC--This is all per ITAR section122.1(a) The present registration fee per year is $2250 (and thats the cheapest- it goes up from there)- So-- it seems pretty impossible that if you want to help out your fellow firearms enthusiasts by making a small part such as a buffer that a Federal agency has the power to step in and prohibit your efforts under threat of Federal indictment IF you dont pay them the $2250 per year to produce a couple of seemingy harmless parts--but thats the law folks--- I believe that the passage of these laws and the convoluted bureaucratic mess that they have caused are another case of unintended consequences-- So the offshoot of this whole mess is that I will no longer be making buffers for the Fox_Demro Carbine- There is already a wealth of information in the Firing Line site for you to be able to make your own buffers or to have a good gunsmith make one for you--Ihope the people in charge of Firing Line will let me include the foregoing information in this post as I feel that it is information that Could serve to save someone from needless trouble with our friendly Federal regulators

Last edited:

Skans

Trapper - can you possibly post a picture of one of your buffers and/or plans on how to make them? I've been interested in one for quite some time.

Silver-Fox

ITAR section122.1(a) The present registration fee per year is $2250

Trapper John.....thank you for this info but if your interpretation of this law is true then every small gunsmith would be in violation of this law when ever they did a repair that required them to make a part or modify a part to fit your firearm. Most every small accessory maker (sighs,springs,trigger bars,screws,grips,ect..) would also be in violation of this law.

Last edited:

Baratacus

except that a gunsmith has the coin to pay $2,000 a year for the license to do this. It would be like needing a HVAC license to work on heating and AC units. Not practical for the home repairman to get an HVAC certification, but if you had a HVAC buisness it would be worth the money to be certified.

Now Trapper John could sell you some rubber anti-skid feet for your step ladder that just happen to look a lot like the buffer for a Dremco Tac-1....

phagar

The ITAR only comes into play if you are building registrable components ie. receivers or complete guns .Any other component can be made without license either BATFE or ITAR.

Baratacus

Catagory No.1 of this munitions list includes all firearms components parts and accessories and is intended to be "all encompassing"---It states basically that if a person makes or otherwise "manufactures" ANY part or accessory for ANY firearm.

I know that this includes bolts, stocks, triggers, and clips, even on firearms that don't require registration. (varies from state to state) This is a federal law and isn't governed by local and state allowances.

phagar

This law was in existence when I entered business in 1983 and to date I have had no problems with it .I believe it to be a lot like any BATFE regulation which only applies if they want it to .It is a lot like the arms export business .If you are exporting arms to countries that are in US favor everything goes smoothly but if a country or regime that is not favorable than it may or may not happen .One needs to pay attention to the winds of change .

Last edited:

Baratacus

I'm sure that the law is only enforced when and if they get around to it, and it most likely is more closely monitored for people that are producing unregistered weapons for sale or distribution, but the fact that I would be breaking the law and could face federal charges and huge fines would definitely deter me from infringing on it for a handfull of one-off parts. I was contacted by them for developing a GPS guided model rocket. I hadn't even considered producing them or selling them, it was just a project I was brainstorming with another guy for his remote controled model submarine. It probably didn't help matters that the guy was from sweden. So yeah, they do keep an eye out... If you aren't registered, then you shouldn't sell anything over the internet, that's for sure.

MMcfpd

There's a scan of the manual, such as it is, as well as a snap of a Delrin replacement buffer on the first page of this thread.

phagar

There concern about a GPS guided rocket is quite understandable with the world situation we have today .As to some of the components listed such as stocks there are hundreds of people across the country that do stock work including making complete replacement stocks and I would be willing to bet most of them (unless they are a large business) do not pay the ITAR .I have never heard of any of them having a problem with the government over it either .I am sure if it had caused problems it would have been shouted from the roof tops by groups like the NRA .

Last edited:

subzero

Fox Carbine 9mm conversion kit

I noticed that in one of the earlier posts about the fox carbine someone had an interest in acquiring the 9mm conversion kit. I actually just received a fox carbine that I won in an auction and it included the 9mm bolt face, 9mm barrel, and the sten mag adapters. I am not really looking to sell the conversion, but I was considering having copies of the bolt face made by a gunsmith and either auctioning them on gunbroker or selling them direct if I can find enough interested people. I'm not really looking to turn a profit, I just would prefer to have the set-up cost that the gunsmith/machinist is going to charge be split among multiple people instead of myself paying a ridiculous fee for one or two spare parts to be made. The rest of the conversion requires Sten mag adapter bracket which I could instruct you how to make and a 9mm barrel (which I know where a surplus of new Demro 9mm barrels are available for $125 each). Let me know if anyone is interested.

cobra983

Fox Carbine 45 ACP

Trapper John do you still make the hard plastic part for the firing action on the 45 acp? If so I would like to purchase one from you. If that is not possible , would you have the demensions that you could email them to me. My email is ford1949429@comcast.net
Thanks for your help, Ken

ta2000

foxco carbine .45 extractor

I need an extractor for my foxco .45 carbine anybody have one or know where I can get one any help would be appreciated

subzero

fox carbine extractor

Spare parts for these guns are close to non-existant. The only parts I've come across being available for these guns are spare stocks, 9mm barrels, and the original factory sling. I think your best bet at getting an extractor will be to have someone get a gunsmith to make a copy of it thiers for you. Its made of a very basic 1 piece construction so it shouldnt be a difficult task. Make sure you specify that you need a copy for a .45ACP bolt face and not the 9mm bolt face because the 9mm extractor is 1/4" shorter and won't work for you. Do you need an extractor spring as well? If so I will keep you posted when I find the appropriate sized spring for my gun.

Last edited:

johngil2

Tac 1 buffer replacement

I have a Demro Tac 1 with a deteriorated buffer, just like the image in the.

Wanted to know from trapperjohn how much a replacement buffer would be?

Thanks
John

johngil2

Buffer for Tac-1

Thanks for the response. I just came from the Crossroads of the West Gun show here in Vegas. I asked a few folks about the buffers but no luck. I will take it to a gunsmith. I copied the image of the buffer made of Delron so maybe I will be able to get one made.

Thanks