Demro/Foxco TAC-1 carbine

sniklac

Demro 9mm

I have a Demro TAC-1 in 9mm that I purchased a year ago (11/2006). It came in its original padded briefcase. Mine uses Sten magazines and shoots perfectly. (No buffer problems.) I do have the original manual, (it is only 4 pages (2 sheets of glossy paper, printed both sides.) I can make a photo copy if anyone still needs it.
Clarence
7dab46ac12.jpg

df5962fca8.jpg

trapper john

Fox- Demro Tac-1 Carbine Buffers Etc.

In the firing line posts several months ago there was mention of a poor fox carbine that someone had made the mistake of firing with a deteriorated or MISSING bolt recoil buffer {cringe}. The result? " hey!! look at that!! The whole back of the cast reviever cracked OFF !!!"-- Ya-- that happens when you fire one of these with no buffer to stop the 4 Lb.+/- bolt from knockng off the rear cast reciever [guaranteed in one to two rounds] Well-- So I read the post that the weapon was now reduced to "parts" [ie. junk] and thought maybe there is SOME way a person COULD repair the weapon so-- I bought the bloody thing and did an autopsy on it. -- The rear reciever WAS cracked clean off. I had several welding experts give their opinion as to re- welding the cast portion and they said it would be VERY difficult to get a good strong weld on this "unknown"metal and to make it strong enough to withstand the battering force it would take from the recoil spring AND bolt. Disappointed, I stared at the disassembled weapon and started thinking like a reciever. The answer was simple. Make a relatively quick and clean repair of the cracked part by using good old fashioned "JB"weld and then isolate the weak repaired portion from the recoiling bolt and recoil spring by welding a small steel upright plate to the rear of the the steel [upper] reciever. This plate, when in place would ride flush against the vertical forward face of the now repaired cast reciever-- thus takng ALL of the recoil force OFF of the repaired cast reciever and bringing it to bear against the new steel plate. Simple as brain surgery right?. So-- I tried it and it works. This was a great relief to me because I have always considered myself about two running nostrils above a complete idiot. BUT-- there is a MUCH simpler way to do all this. NEVER fire a Fox-Demro tac-1 carbine without FIRST checking to make SURE it has a good ,strong ,adequate recoil bolt buffer. And yes-- I DO custom make hand fitted buffers for this fine and rare weapon and I just hate to think that there is someone lurking out there that is about to launch one down range fron a nice fox carbine he never checked that the BUFFER is missing. Till next post-- keep shooting and be safe-- Trapper John

Muhler

I just acquired a TAC-1 and it did not come with a buffer. I am very glad I did some research before taking this out to the range. Do you still make buffers and, if so, how much would you charge?

Many thanks.

Muhler

Someone in a previous post said Delrin would work. A friend of mine on another forum suggested the same. Though he had never heard of this firearm, he said that is what is used in his PPSH-41 repro.

Silver-Fox

Where to buy Delrin & size

Found a web site to buy sheets of Delrin in different sizes.
Anyone know what thinkness works best and where to buy local ?

Muhler

I dont know how thick it needs to be, but my friend runs a tool and dye shop and said he would take a look at it for me. He will probably size it out and, if he does, Ill post the specs on here. Dont expect them before next week, however.

trapper john

Buffer material for Fox- Demro Tac-1 Carbine

Welcome new members Muhler and Silver Fox; Delrin ,as a suitable material for the bolt buffer isnt really a wise choice-- it has absolutely NO flexible shock absorbing capabilities. A better choice is a semi -flexible polymer material that will help absorb and disperse the shock of the rearward traveling bolt-- This will also help to reduce felt recoil AND is LOTS easier on the weapon internals. Just so happens I have made up some of the aforementioned flexible buffers and would be happy to send you one or several-- I hand cut and fit each on into one of my own Fox Carbines to make sure each one fits and functions OK. Each one I ship includes installation instructions and sketches of the weapons reciever area to assist anyone who might have any questions about the proper installation etc. At present They are $35 each which includes all shipping and postage to your address. Hope this info can be of help. Just leave me a message through Firing Line and somehow ,through the fowled-up magic of modern elctronics, I will attempt to make contact with you. It might not be really fast as I have a steam powered pre-50,s computer. Be safe and Good Shooting.

The Gun Shop

Demro/Foxco TAC-1 carbine in 45acp

I got this 6 years ago and started this thread. It is in the factory carry case which I think was an option at the time. Since then it has been fired 1 time. It works fine but has one problem it is missing the extractor. So when you fire it the case just comes out from the blowback and does not go very far. When I had my shop the gunsmith was going to make the part but never got to it ( you know how that is, my stuff came last LOL ). A good smith could make the part. I have since retired and got a new boat and am fishing on the ocean whenever I can. I have been selling guns that I no longer need/want.
Do you think there would be much interest in this? I also have 3 or 4 new mags to go with it.
100_1087.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. If you still have it in a couple months, good chance I'll grab it.
Unless you got a Volunteer Arms Commando Carbine in the 400. range, I could get that one much sooner (there were 3 of them I knew of online for years, all the sudden they all got bought recently). This type of gun is a low priority compared to others (have to entirely rebuild my collection, and this is just for a plinker, standby HD, maybe a post-.22 trainer for my little guy when he gets big enough) but as a semi auto with hi cap mag, need to pick one up the sooner the better, I'm afraid.

SLANTNOSE1

Foxco/Demro/Tri-C guns

I have been noticing also the lack of interest about this entire series. I even thought of buying a couple of them when they first were marketed. They had a fairly inexpensive cost, even up the Deluxe Packages that were available with them. The problem with them not storing and keeping in and as new type of condition, is one of its major faults. Another fault that would have to be considered when selling one these old weapons, is the problem of finding the correct replacement parts to make the repairs. I don't think that I would feel really wonderful knowing that I had one, but all I could do with it was to make it a wall hanger. And this would be a large waste of money. But... that is just me. I don't particularly like the only thing that I could do with it was to stick it on a wall somewhere. The cost of it just wouldn't sit right, having an item that cost as much as they are now trying to sell them for.

susmiester

Foxco argghhhhh

Just bought this gun anyone know where I can get a new trigger assembly and sear for this gun thanks Jeff

trader4play

Fox carbine. In need of buffer.Also manual.

Hi, I just recently bought a Demro/ Fox 9mm carbine and found out that it is missing the buffer pad. I am also looking for a manual for this gun. Any help would be greatly appreciated.Trapper John, if you still have any buffers for sale, I would be very interested in buying one from you.Thanks trader4play tkbraun@hotmail.com

Last edited:

cobra983

Fox Carbine 45

Hi, I am in need of a barrel in the 45 caliber. I have the one with the combination lock . Any leads would be greatly appricated. I am open to all offers, barrel, parts guns. Thanks for all help.

shades1894

TRI-C Corp Fox Carbine .45 Available-or-Help Restore?

Hello, new here first post. I remember seeing one of these as a kid in the late 70's. Just bought one from a guy who inherited it and wanted it for myself (always wanted an "open bolt" semi). Any hoo, can't get much help with some of the missing parts (ejector, recoil spring & guide rod, charging handle, and of course the buffer should be replaced). Some parts could be easily made, some available (buffer & ejector). This is s/n 0004XX. Has a low profile see-thru scope mount and old Bushnell Banner 1.4-4X scope nicely mounted on the upper. Any advice.......or offers??

Last edited:

45autoshooter

Demro-fox buffers

Hey guys! I have one of these and made a buffer out of hard rubber that was the same thickness as the old buffer. My Dad bought it new in the late 70s and I inherited it. shoots great! Just have to hold it tight so the bolt doent throw your aim off. On a sunny day with the sun beside or behind you you can see hardball rounds going down range like fast angry bees, wwaayy cool. Peace, 45autoshooter:

Silver-Fox

Welcome to this old post......I have one of the original Fox Carbines with the combo lock that say THINK on the back.
I haven't shot it in over 30 years. I had to replace the buffer.....one of the guys on this forum made them up.