Defensive Handgun for 80 Year Old Grandmother

Mello2u

David the Gnome

Defensive Handgun for 80 Year Old Grandmother
Your thoughts or suggestions?

Does your grandmother have any skill with handguns?
Does she have the hand strength to manipulate the slide?
How much will she practice?

It is somewhat easier to train someone to a level of competency with a revolver than a semi-auto. Find some rubber grips to fit her hand and that help with the recoil.

It is my opinion that the minimum caliber I want to bet my life on is .38Spl +P or 9mm +P (purely my biased opinion).

I loaned a S&W mod. 36 with a 3" bbl to my mother when she was 80. She handled it well. But now 10 years down the road, her hands have become so deformed with arthritis that she can no longer handle it with sufficient skill, so she is going to give it back.

kiov

The slide on the bersa .380's are easy to rack. .22 slides can be hard to grasp. The .380 is ok for recoil too, better than the .38spl for most 80yr olds.
The .38 double action trigger can also be a problem, as mentioned.

I think a shotgun is a good idea. Do they make a .410 coach gun? She might have some trouble with the hammers, but that might work well. I think either a pump or semi would make a great weapon for an older person, in .410 or maybe 20ga.

ghalleen

I would stay away from ALL semi-autos.

Best choice for someone her age:

1. Taser

2. Medium-sized DA revolver in .38spl or 9mm, or maybe a Taurus Judge. (I haven't shot one, but I would think with the right cartridge, it should be pretty pleasant to shoot)

This is from my own experience with my mother-in-law. Her husband had passed away, and wanted protection. She'd never been a shooter, and would never have been able to handle a semi-auto in a high-stress situation.

Stay away from snub-nosed, concealable revolvers. They'll be more difficult to shoot (more felt recoil), and may intimidate her.

skydiver3346

Gun for Grandma:

Autos are probably out of the questions at her age.

However, May I suggest a .22 magnum revolver like I got my Mom (age 81). I had a trigger job done at my gunsmiths and it is smooth as butter. Easy to pull and loaded it with 50 grain Federal .22 mags. Great little package and potent with no recoil and great accuracy. What more could you ask for to fit the bill?