Dallas PD pulls the P320 from their Approved List.

TunnelRat

The drop vulnerability is now a "known defect". If Sig knowingly sells a product with a known defect it is liable for any damage or injury caused by that defect. And since they don't want to subject themselves to unlimited liability - particularly the liability that might arise from selling the pistols to people who are heedless of the danger - they will not be sold, but destroyed.

Did you actually read the whole thread?

OhioGuy

I'm glad to see the "fake news" was swiftly corrected. But what amazes me is this: some erroneous story about anything will surface and spread like wildfire. But the correction or retraction to that story seems to get little airplay. I don't doubt that people will still be shying away from this gun 2 years from now because some guy at a gun shop who knew some guy who visited Dallas once, heard it's not drop-safe.

The only clear solution is to buy one for $500 and then repeatedly slam it into the ground to see whether it'll fire. Or ride over it on a horse. Then put it on YouTube. Then we'll finally have our answer.

I'm glad to see the "fake news" was swiftly corrected. But what amazes me is this: some erroneous story about anything will surface and spread like wildfire. But the correction or retraction to that story seems to get little airplay. I don't doubt that people will still be shying away from this gun 2 years from now because some guy at a gun shop who knew some guy who visited Dallas once, heard it's not drop-safe.

But it wasn't the story which was erroneous - DPD did actually remove the 320 from their approved guns list based on a misreading of the manual by one of their officers. It was the DPD officer (and everyone within the bureaucracy) who flipped out over some boilerplate language in the manual that was in error. The reporting accurately reflected that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

WyMark

hdwhit said:
The drop vulnerability is now a "known defect". If Sig knowingly sells a product with a known defect it is liable for any damage or injury caused by that defect. And since they don't want to subject themselves to unlimited liability - particularly the liability that might arise from selling the pistols to people who are heedless of the danger - they will not be sold, but destroyed.

This is a remarkably and wholly false statement that should be deleted before it gets echoed all over the internets by the Google bot. You should read more of this thread before making this kind of ridiculous statement as though it were fact.

zipspyder

This is a remarkably and wholly false statement that should be deleted before it gets echoed all over the internets by the Google bot. You should read more of this thread before making this kind of ridiculous statement as though it were fact.

To late. It's over at arfcom being blown way out of control as well. Every time someone tries to explain the facts and actual reality they throw up a pic from the old manual of Sig saying the pistol may discharge when dropped. They've since updated their manual but haters won't let it go.

Chui

The DPD had been saying that there was an incident where someone dropped a P320 during training and claiming it went off by itself calling it an AD which prompted the recall. Now their spokesperson is backing off on that and saying that never happened. Why in the world would SIG contact just DPD apparently to tell them there is a problem with the P320? Others are saying that someone at DPD read in the manual of the P320 where it states that "any firearm may fire if dropped", is that what they consider a notification from SIG? Something fishy about the whole story. Supposedly SIG is to release a statement in the near future.

There are two other departments claiming the same has happened and SIG is being less than transparent as well (of course, they'll tend not to - I get it...)

The info in their Owner's Manual and some anecdotal evidence from owner's who have called suggests that SIG is not 100 percent convinced that these particular pistols had parts that may not have been to spec or... it was/is a tolerance stack up issue.

It will be resolved. One way or another.

If SIG has not had a less than stellar run under its current management the internet rumbling would not be nearly as far and wide as it has been - and likely to continue to be for some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chui

Maybe someone is mad because they can't carry their Glock.........Was this breaking news from CNN? Which statement is true from the Dallas PD?

Delve into the details of the story, please. The P320 was simply added to the approved list of pistols the officers could carry.

They normally carry P226 pistols so there was no opportunity for what you suggest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zipspyder

I'm good for now but eventually I'm going to grab one of the new ones with an external safety in 9mm. After that what will the haters complain about?

44 AMP

Staff
The drop vulnerability is now a "known defect"....

The addition of one of the similes (example :rolleyes:) OR the addition of language such as "To the under-informed" drop..defect, would have made the poster intentions much clearer.

Sarcasm, light, moderate, or heavy is a difficult thing for some to recognize in print. Just using " " often isn't enough.

I am mildly amused by the lemming effect, but it has always been with us. The fashion industry depends on it. The more worrisome aspect is that with today's tech, an unsubstantiated rumor (especially if its some kind of juicy gossip) can become "a known fact":rolleyes: to huge numbers of people, around the world in minutes, because they read it on the Internet.

I am a bit concerned, about the demonstrated lack of reading comprehension shown by the people in the Dallas PD.

CAN is not the same as WILL. Never was, never will be. Different words with DIFFERENT MEANINGS!! IT is disturbing that people who's job is law enforcement have shown they are incapable of understanding the difference between two small, simple English words and their definitions.

Makes one wonder what other simple words and phrases they don't understand either, and how that affects their performance as law enforcement officers. ??

JoeSixpack

I wonder if the manual has as warning about the gun exploding.
Even if the design is sound could always get bad ammo, even factory ammo.

JoeSixpack

Uh oh, I guess who ever said the gun will have a legend now is right.
I wondered if there was any truth any of this but it sounds like there is some validity here.

Beretta never did live down the slide failures.. it's brought up even to this day.
Now they'll be talking about the p320 drop failures.. It's premature ejection problem lol.

Im sure sig will fix it though once they verify and admit to the problem.

Looks bad there.
One response I have seen was that it doesn't count because they didn't use "equipment."
Just my 2 cents but in drop testing I say only equipment you need.. a primed piece of brass.

Drop gun, if it goes off fail, no if, ands, butts or excuses... I mean at ANY angle.. and 5 feet does not sound excessive to me either.

If I was in a firing stance It would probably be even higher if I dropped it.

reynolds357

Sig is correct. There is a possibility that any loaded firearm could discharge when dropped. The chance may be 1 in 5 billion, but there is a chance. You also have to factor in the occasional idiot who can tear up an anvil with a rubber hammer.

sigarms228

Interesting but I am waiting for SIGs response. If I read article correctly the drop test was done significantly higher than industry standards at 5 feet onto concrete rather than a hard rubber pad. While this may be somewhat disappointing it does not mean SIG was not telling the truth about the P320 being drop safe to industry standards or even exceeding.

I am curious if they are going to do similar tests with the other guns they sell and report the results dropping from 5 feet or even higher onto concrete at various angles so pistol lands on several different areas.

I don't know for sure but I would expect most pistols are dropped about waist height where the holster/pockets are located. It would be interesting to find out how industry test standard drop height was determined.

I read that HK incorporated two firing pin blocks in the newer hammer fired P30SK so that it could pass more stringent drop tests.

Last edited: