Dallas PD pulls the P320 from their Approved List.

JoeSixpack

@sigarms228
Ah, that's a little bit more like it.
The lawyers are still happy without the gun being made to sound like a P.o.S

TXAZ

There are enough holes in this story that I'm thinking there is an urban legend in the making.

I don't doubt DPD sent out the memo. I'm less confident about their capability to make that determination or the rationale behind it.

And anytime you ask a yes/no question and get several qualifiers appended to it ("with this weapon"and "as a result of this defect") that's a pretty sure sign you've got lawyers roaming about in the background.

Last edited:

carguychris

^^^ Is there ANYTHING in this thread that can be verified as factual from an independent source?

FWIW the local news media in D/FW is totally silent.

Well, it is easy enough to just ask Dallas PD: pio@dpd.dallascityhall.com

The problem is, that when you do and report your results here, you'll be just another random, untrustworthy, Internet source to most folks. Dallas is unlikely to issue any official statement on something like this until it hits the point the public information officer gets tired of answering the same request. Even then, it might just be an internet link or tweet vs. a press release.

sigarms228

This info about SIGs response is on a couple different sources.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...g-sauer-p320-striker-fired-pistols-drop-safe/

Newington, NH (August 4, 2017) – In response to social media rumors questioning the safety of the P320 pistol, a variant of which was selected by the U.S. government as the U.S. Army’s Modular Handgun System (MHS), SIG SAUER, Inc. has full confidence in the reliability, durability and safety of its striker-fired handgun platform. There have been zero (0) reported drop-related P320 incidents in the U.S. commercial market, with hundreds of thousands of guns delivered to date.

The P320 meets and exceeds all U.S. standards for safety, including the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) and Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute, Inc. (SAAMI), as well as rigorous testing protocols for global military and law enforcement agencies.

All SIG SAUER pistols incorporate effective mechanical safeties to ensure they only fire when the trigger is pressed. However, like any mechanical device, exposure to acute conditions (e.g. shock, vibration, heavy or repeated drops) may have a negative effect on these safety mechanisms and cause them to not work as designed. This language is common to owner’s manuals of major handgun manufacturers.

As a result, individual attempts to perform drop tests outside of professionally controlled environments should not be attempted.

“SIG SAUER is committed to producing only the finest products,” said Ron Cohen, President and CEO of SIG SAUER. “Safety and reliability have been and always will be paramount to the SIG SAUER brand.”

For more information on SIG SAUER, please visit us at sigsauer.com

As a result, individual attempts to perform drop tests outside of professionally controlled environments should not be attempted.

I think we are starting to get to the meat of the issue now. Interesting to see if the Dallas-approved fix will be a center slot type trigger safety.

pblanc

I am glad that SIG has released some official statement regarding this issue, or non-issue, as the case may be.

It still leaves a lot of questions unanswered, such as:

What "defect" did the Dallas PD identify in the design of the P320 that raised concerns with about a safety issue?

How did Dallas PD become aware of this potential "defect"?

Did SIG Sauer communicate with the Dallas PD regarding the P320 either before or after they decided to pull it from the approved service list?

Did the Dallas PD communicate with SIG Sauer either before or after pulling it from service?

What is the Dallas PD now doing to redress this issue?

What is SIG Sauer now doing to redress this issue?

sigarms228

If Dallas P D re-approves the P320 that will be all that needs to be said.

Yeah but I am not holding my breath. To many egos involved in some of these organizations. IMO SIG's statement is all that needed to be said.

DaleA

Sounds to me like there is no recall or design change in the offing so 'tempest in a teapot' or 'much ado about nothing' seems what I'm going to get out of this kerfuffle.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Interesting to see if the Dallas-approved fix will be a center slot type trigger safety.
The P320 is already available with that option.

https://www.sigsauer.com/products/firearms/pistols/p320/

SAFETY WITHOUT COMPROMISE.
Safety isn’t negotiable. The P320 maximizes peace of mind with a robust safety system. Never again will you need to pull the trigger to disassemble your pistol. And, while available as an option, you won’t need a tabbed trigger safety for your gun to be drop safe.
Here is an interesting thought exercise. In what way do the approved 226 safeties and the disapproved 320 safeties differ?
It's virtually impossible to set off a hammer-fired gun with inertia if the hammer is down as the 226 would typically be carried. If the gun is dropped muzzle down, the firing pin safety will prevent a discharge. If it's dropped muzzle up, there's simply not enough inertia to cock the hammer and pull the trigger back to fire the gun.

A striker fired gun dropped muzzle down is the same as the hammer fired gun. But dropped muzzle up, all it takes is enough inertia to operate the trigger and the gun will fire. Because if the trigger operates, then the passive safeties disengage.

I don't have numbers for the P320, nor am I familiar with the internal design aspects of the system so I can't say much about it.

I can provide an example of what the trigger safety buys you in another roughly (very roughly?) similar design. I ran the numbers for a Glock dropped muzzle up from 4 feet so that the back of the slide hits first. Without the trigger safety, physics says it would fire. The trigger safety makes the trigger system essentially inertia-proof.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.p...ven-in-the-summer.798045/page-2#post-10179831