CZ75 or 92FS

TJB101

TJB, I believe this is your first time posting here on The Firing Line. Welcome!

As a guy who owns multiple versions of both the CZ-75 and the Model 92, I also say I would be hard pressed to choose a favorite, if I had to pick one and only one.

Right now, I think I'd prefer the SP-01 Phantom from CZ. Think CZ-75 slide on a plastic frame, with the decocker version of the trigger parts. I know this doesn't meet your need for a metal frame. (But check it out!)

Ask me this question in 10 years, when my old man hands cannot grip the slide on a CZ strongly enough to rack it back, and I'll tell you the Wilson Model 92G is the one for me. The slide is much easier to grab and rack open.

Bart Noir
Thanks Bart and everyone else for the ongoing replies and feedback. its much appreciated to be be able to tap the knowledge of such a vast resource of user experiences. Digging deeper into models after my return from a west coast trip next week.

scoobysnacker

I wanted a steel frame 9mm under $1000, so it was pretty much just between the 92 and the CZ.
I've seen people mention this several times, so I thought I'd clarify (if someone else has already spoken up, sorry about that):

You are not going to find a steel framed Beretta under a thousand dollars, I don't think.
The Beretta that you know is an aluminum alloy frame. A steel frame would be something like the Billennium, it is single action only, it weighs 48 oz, it has a frame safety. It costs a bunch to buy one.

Same thing applies, btw, with Sig. Alloy frames on the P series, until you get to some serious cash.

If you are looking for a new DA/SA garden-variety fullsize pistol with a steel frame, I think CZ (and clones thereof) are the only game in town.

I own a number of fullsize guns, and my pre B CZ 75 is my favorite.

Of the steel frames I own in DA/SA in 9mm Parabellum, I think I have
CZ 75 (still produced)
Star 30MI (company folded years ago)
PHP MV9 (company exists, but only makes polymer frames- the XD)
I don't have a steel frame 3rd Gen S&W, but they are out there. Not really produced or supported anymore, occasionally you can find a NIB somewhere.

tallball

Yeah, the Berettta is big and not light, but it's also not a steel frame. I tried to mention that a time or two, but was having trouble logging in.

joeb

I've handled 92's but never owned one. Like them a lot though. I've been absolutely in love with the 75B I bought six years ago. Fired about 200rnds. through it before employing it for looking and fondling. I find the Czechs made something which looks and works flawlessly that I somehow am compelled to hoard away for me only. If I were to find fault it would be the two miles of take up when pulling the trigger on DA, but I'm not going to complain.

Bart Noir

Oh, steel frame, didn't notice that he wanted steel. Not so many choices.

I did handle a couple of smallish 9mm Desert Eagle last weekend. They are made by Israeli Weapons Industries and are also called the Jericho, I think. One was all stainless steel.

These are basically CZ-75 knock-offs with a safety lever on the slide, instead of frame. I have no idea what the trigger pull is like.

And EAA sells a bunch of Witness models, which are CZ75 knock-offs made in Italy. I think some models have steel frames. Well, I know the 10mm Witness does but don't know about any 9mm models.

Bart Noir

adamBomb

If you want to be this cool, then get the beretta:

c54da360925ac3a6b8fa638266dc59f8.png

TJB101

Since I own a P07 and Scorpion I think I’ll stick with a CZ (or Sig if the price is right) ... next week I’ll start hitting my indoor ranges and see what I can test out. Although I like the metal frames some of the Poly long slide models look sweet.

Much appreciate all the feedback

Tim

Model12Win

I'm a Beretta man:

20180228_190759-1.jpg

I also have a CZ, and while I like it, I'm just more comfortable with the Beretta and it fits me just right.

TJB101

Spent a few minutes after the range today and handled multiple 75’s, P01, P09, 92FS and a few HK’s. This one just felt great in my hand and followed me home. Cleaned it up. Nice everything. 75BD

4ca659c26ac5351ae93de1b90b28a346.jpg

Danoobie

I'd say if you have larger hands, get the 92FS.
If you are smaller, get the CZ75. I like both brands, so I really don't have a dog in this fight. BUT, try a FNX9.

tranders

I have owned both and both are fine pistols. The Beretta was very smooth and overall a handsome pistol. The CZ felt great in the hand and shot well.
The Beretta is a big pistol and won't do well for folks with smaller hands.

Both pistols have a lot of parts(pins,springs,plungers,etc.) when compared to modern striker fired pistols.