CZ75 or 92FS

Hammerhead

I prefer the Beretta design, ergonomics, aesthetics, trigger. Nice guns.

But the CZ75B was clearly the more accurate gun in my hands despite the tough SA trigger. With a good trigger and target sights, the 75 would be my dream target 9mm.

Last edited:

cslinger

I don’t have large hands and because of that never payed the 92 much mind. I did finally pick up a 92fs because as a collector I wanted a 92 as its iconic.

Well color me surprised when it fit me way better and I shot it really well then I ever would have imagined. I found I really like Beretta 92s.

I own both 92s and CZs and while I greatly like both if I had to make the choice I like the Berettas better.

Both have an Achilles heel in the locking block for the Beretta and the slide stop in the CZ. I think ultimately you are very likely to be happy with either.

The 92 series is just the one that really ended up grabbing me.

pblanc

The locking block is the weak link in the design of the Beretta 92 but the design also allows the barrel to remain in-line throughout the cycle which is what gives the 92 its reputation as a remarkably tolerant and reliable feeder. And the locking block issue is far from a fatal flaw.

Locking block kits can be purchased from Beretta USA and include a new recoil spring. They only cost $35 so it pays to just buy one and have it on hand in case you ever need it. Some high volume shooters will replace the locking block routinely after 15,000 rounds or so. I just closely examine the "ears" on the locking block for deformation, asymmetry, or cracks every time I field strip and clean the pistol.

Rockrivr1

The one thing to watch out for is that some CZ-75Bs come with really bad trigger slap. Mine did and took some money to get it straightened out. I have a 92 and sold the CZ.

wnycollector

I will admit to being a Beretta fan. I own a 92FS, 92S, PX4 and 84. Both the 92FS and 92S fit my big hand like a glove. I have put D springs in both guns and they have superb triggers now in my opinion. That being said, I have shot a few CZ75's over the years and own a CZ40B (CZ75 internals in the shape of a Colt officers). They are solid well built and and accurate. The Beretta 92 fits my hand much better.

I had a CZ75 compact and a Beretta 92. Eventually sold the CZ. They shot about equal but the Beretta trigger was better and the CZ just didn't seem as "finished."

TJB101

...you now have the internet answers.... seems to me you are back at square one

Yup... got some great feedback and a few things to look for and to look out for. Since I have a P07 I’m leaning in that direction (75)... I may have to try the P09 too.

armoredman

Make up your own mind, try them out if you can, and have fun. I personally have had nothing but good luck with CZ, and have never had any negatives, and this from someone who carries and has carried a pistol for years on and off duty.

sigarms228

I really like the features of this Beretta Langdon M9 9mm at Bud's as far as a new Beretta 92 series. I'll have to see if my LGS has one to handle.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...s/Beretta/Beretta+Langdon+M9+9mm+15+1+Limited

Limited Edition Langdon M9. This M9 includes $189 in Ernest Langdon's favorite upgrades. Proudly made in Tennessee, USA.

Florescent Orange Front Sight Dot
Gen-3 Locking Block(Better than Mil-Spec)
Blacked out rear sight
"G" Levers(De-cock only)
"D" hammer spring(lighter trigger)
Slotted Grip Screws
LTT Exclusive slim VZ grips
Steel trigger
Oversize Mag Catch
3- 15 round magazines

saiga21308

My early CZ75 9mm is my bestest hand gun... just plain fits me , accurate, reliable, fairly easy to strip n clean... mags are plentiful and cheap
so far I have poked just about every on sale ammo through it with only some stupid cheap aluminum rounds not feeding reliably after 3 mags worth..

but as said we each have a different hand... the OP should obviously play with all in this class and do own cost fit feel assessment

The fact that MY CZ75 is old and problem free these many years is no indication that one he buys will be

I bought a sequential set of Walther PPK .32s....one was perfect one was a PITA...traded it away....I suspect slide to frame fit a tad too tight...

I had several issued Berettas...good arm IMO, no problems...never bought one for personal use...mostly cuz I am a most bang for the buck fruggle shopper

My worthless advice is seriously consider the CZ75
i had the same problems with aluminum ammo the only stuff it choked on

kmw1954

May I also suggest looking to the Taurus PT92 to compare to the Beretta 92. Taurus took the same gun and moved the safety from the slide to the frame. Next would be to look at the Tanfoglio in comparison to the CZ.

Just more options.

tallball

I own the Beretta, its Taurus clone, and Tanfoglio clones of the CZ75. My Fil owns the Beretta and the "real" CZ.

We both like all of them, and both slightly prefer the CZ's. The "clones" are as good as the originals. If you try them both and like them both, used or surplus examples are common. It would be NP to get a surplus Tanfoglio and Taurus for $300 apiece. (I bought my Taurus new over 25 years ago, but my two 9mm Tanfoglios are Israeli surplus).

They are two of my favorite pistols. It's pretty much win/win.

Last edited:

pblanc

May I also suggest looking to the Taurus PT92 to compare to the Beretta 92. Taurus took the same gun and moved the safety from the slide to the frame. Next would be to look at the Tanfoglio in comparison to the CZ.

Just more options.
Taurus did not move the safety lever of the PT92 to the frame. The original Beretta 92 that was produced from 1976 to 1983 had a frame-mounted safety. In 1974 Beretta set up a factory in Sao Paulo, Brazil to produce Beretta 92 pistols for a Brazilian Army contract. This facility was later sold to Taurus which continued making the same pistol relabeled the PT92.

Taurus has made modifications to the original Beretta 92 design over the years including relocating the magazine release button from the heel position of the original Beretta 92 to the more customary position of the later Beretta 92 series pistols, and redesigning the safety lever to a three position lever (safe-fire-decock).

kmw1954

pblanc, thanks for the history lesson. As a PT92 owner I already knew that about Taurus and Brazil, I just didn't realize that the safety on the Beretta was originally on the frame. I just never looked into it that closely because it really didn't make a difference to me. But now I now.

Fishbed77

From a gunsmith perspective, it has fewer parts to do the same job.

It's amazing how simple the workings of a CZ75 are compared to the internals of the CZ82. It's hard to believe the same company is responsible for both. If you're ever tried to detail strip a CZ82, you know what I'm talking about!

Bart Noir

TJB, I believe this is your first time posting here on The Firing Line. Welcome!

As a guy who owns multiple versions of both the CZ-75 and the Model 92, I also say I would be hard pressed to choose a favorite, if I had to pick one and only one.

Right now, I think I'd prefer the SP-01 Phantom from CZ. Think CZ-75 slide on a plastic frame, with the decocker version of the trigger parts. I know this doesn't meet your need for a metal frame. (But check it out!)

Ask me this question in 10 years, when my old man hands cannot grip the slide on a CZ strongly enough to rack it back, and I'll tell you the Wilson Model 92G is the one for me. The slide is much easier to grab and rack open.

Bart Noir

Nacho Man

After owning both and a browning hi power,
they're all great but have their faults imo.

Beretta 92 FS Compact, overall fit n finish was excellent in my US made gun.
Talk about a short reset in single action. Chrome lined barrel, accuracy was excellent and recoil felt mild. Things I didn't like, weird locking block design, exposed barrel for debris, no dovetail on the front sight.

CZ75B, fit n finish was fine except inside of the slide looked pretty rough alot a machine marks looked sloppy.
Cold hammer forged barrel and trigger was decent. I thought the 92 trigger was better. No decocker but dont mind carrying cocked n locked but safety felt mushy.

BHP, absolutely beautiful gun and fit n finish was excellent. Sights were great, and accuracy was fantastic. Bad, one of the worst triggers ive felt about 8-9 lbs gritty from that mag disconnect plunger. Very heavy mainspring and mag disconnect kills it more. For the money rather have a nice Colt Competition 70's in 9mm.

Since the Beretta is going for about $500 nib at lgs thats gonna be my vote. Alot of aftermarket and plenty of parts.