CZ-82 on the Way...

BobbyT

Just figured in a thread full of guys with CZ-82s there'd be a few Makarovs as well...guess they're getting less common though.

amd6547

Well, I have owned a finely made East german Mak, and I own a CZ82. The Mak is a very good weapon, and is probably slightly superior as a CCW pistol.
The CZ82 is superior in other ways. Better sights, better trigger (both DA and SA), 12rd vs 8rd, and the grip just fits my hand better. I am much more accurate with the CZ82.

Whirlwind06

I took my CZ-82 to the range yesterday. Very impressive little pistol. The recoil was there but not worse that I have felt with sub-compact 9 and 38 snubbies. At ~21 feet I was getting nice groupings. This pistol makes me look like I know how to shoot ;)

When I got home I put on slip on grip and ordered a new recoil spring for it.

Happy with the first time out with this pistol.
Picture011.jpg

Last edited:
I finally shot the CZ this past weekend. It was a world apart from my other guns to shoot. I'm so used to shooting ones with higher bore axes that the felt recoil pushing straight back was odd. That wasn't so bad. What does need to be addressed is the area that dug into the web of my hand. It was extremely uncomfortable. Maybe some dehorning or something. Trigger was MUCH nicer than I thought. This cartridge does have quite the felt recoil, too. Not too bad. Just snappier than I was expecting. Maybe I need to find a place that does some quality work to massage it and refinish....

vladan

Before you do anything to the gun, get 18lbs recoil spring from gunsprings.com ( CZ83) . Recoil gets much better and shooting becomes much more comfortable

FEG

Well, I have owned a finely made East german Mak, and I own a CZ82. The Mak is a very good weapon, and is probably slightly superior as a CCW pistol.
The CZ82 is superior in other ways. Better sights, better trigger (both DA and SA), 12rd vs 8rd, and the grip just fits my hand better. I am much more accurate with the CZ82.

I have owned at least one specimen of virtually every 9x18M pistol made, except for some of the PM variants. I would agree with the above. There is a significant drop in quality from an East German to a Bulgarian Makarov, but here is my comparison in descending order:

1) East German Mak (it's been many years, and I might flip-flop with the CZ if I could shoot one again);
2) CZ 82/83 (civilian NIB CZ 83 9x18Ms are a little nicer finished with slightly better sights);
3) Bulgarian Mak (fit, finish, sights, and trigger weren't as good as the above);
4) Hungarian PA-63 (gritty, stacking DA trigger, the frame is indestructible, but the slide finish is just O.K, big downgrade in the form of tiny sights);
5) Polish P-64 (big advantage of being smaller than other designs, but very heavy DA trigger and recoil, extrior finish was just O.K.);
6) Polish P-83 (inferior to the PA-63 and P-64 in almost every way).

FWIW, I am of Polish descent, and I was very disappointed in those models.

All of these pistols will benefit from replacing the sights and springs.

I once had a CZ-83, and it is the only pistol from this group that I truly regret selling. I made enough money on the EG Mak that I can't really complain.

You will notice that current prices for these pistols tend to reflect the above assessments. CZ 82s vary greatly in price depending on whether or not anyone is currently importing them.

I think I'll be getting a recoil spring as you mentioned, vladan. When I reload, do I need to compensate for the different spring? You have any recommendations for sights?

I shot it again today and my marksmanship improved.

vladan

AFAIK the 18LBS spring is the heaviest, it is just right for my AA#5 under berry's 95g reloads that are quite hot but runs just fine with the silver bear ammo as well.
The sights are the same as for CZ75 (compact, not sure about full size, it might be a slightly different hight), I have the same nite sights on my CZ75 Compact and one of mine CZ82 - Metrolight ML-17777

DMK

The sights are the same as for CZ75 (compact, not sure about full size, it might be a slightly different hight),
I think the full size CZ-75 uses same sights too. I don't have a compact, but as far as I can tell with my calipers, the CZ-75B and CZ82 use the same exact sights.

DMK

Quote:

I have owned at least one specimen of virtually every 9x18M pistol made, except for some of the PM variants. I would agree with the above. There is a significant drop in quality from an East German to a Bulgarian Makarov, but here is my comparison in descending order:

1) East German Mak (it's been many years, and I might flip-flop with the CZ if I could shoot one again);
2) CZ 82/83 (civilian NIB CZ 83 9x18Ms are a little nicer finished with slightly better sights);

I also have a 1963 EG Makarov and two CZ-82s ('87 & '89). The Mak is prettier with a fine polish and deep bluing, but I find the CZ easier to shoot, with the better sights and fatter grip. The triggers are about the same, however I prefer the position of the controls on the CZ. I've heard a lot of folks complain about getting bit by the CZ, but I've never had that problem with either gun. The CZ seems more accurate to me, but it may be just easier to shoot accurately due to less felt recoil and easier to see sights.

The CZ feels more modern to me. The Mak has an "old world" feel to it with the tiny sights and heel mag catch.

I wouldn't purposely choose either as a CCW, but if I had to, I would prefer the CZ over the Mak. There isn't a huge difference in size, as far as concealability.

FEG

I also have a 1963 EG Makarov and two CZ-82s ('87 & '89). The Mak is prettier with a fine polish and deep bluing, but I find the CZ easier to shoot, with the better sights and fatter grip. The triggers are about the same, however I prefer the position of the controls on the CZ. I've heard a lot of folks complain about getting bit by the CZ, but I've never had that problem with either gun. The CZ seems more accurate to me, but it may be just easier to shoot accurately due to less felt recoil and easier to see sights.

The CZ feels more modern to me. The Mak has an "old world" feel to it with the tiny sights and heel mag catch.

I wouldn't purposely choose either as a CCW, but if I had to, I would prefer the CZ over the Mak. There isn't a huge difference in size, as far as concealability.

From what I can tell, the hammer-bite issue is more of a problem for people who are used to the 75/85 series. The CZ Forum sees this complaint a lot, and I have noticed that many bought an 82/83 based on their experiences with the 75B.

The 75/85 series pistols allow for a very high grip, and it can be difficult to transition to another pistol. For example, I have to have an extended beavertail on a 1911-pattern pistol, because I will hold them too high and get "bitten" otherwise. I never had this problem before I began shooting 75s.

As I was reading your post, it dawned on me that the EG Mak I owned had aftermarket sights from Makarov.com.

If I use it for carry, I'm going to need to look into your suggestion, Cajun. The holster that came with it isn't really that great.

Thanks for everyones' help. It's amazing no too long ago I didn't know a darn thing about the CZ82 and its qualities. Now I have all this information readily available at my, and others, disposal...