Colt developing a new revolver?

Carlo

A Sasia King Cobra?

kingcobrafs2xy5.jpg

Tom2

Do what works

How about if they just make real good 45 autos? Sounds like they are too small now to diversify. They could make money on those. Or just do a Winchester, fold up. Then all you Colt guys would get even more value growth from your collectables. Or they could make expensive SAA revolvers, if they could get it together and make them right.

RickB

Colt kept producing percussion revolvers while the world went to cartridges -
Smith & Wesson had the patent on drilled-through cylinders, so there wasn't much Colt could do.
Colt kept producing single actions when the world went to double action - Colt invented the DA, swing-out cylinder revolver that became the industry standard.
Colt scrapped their SAA tooling just when the first "cowboy" craze took off - Colt left the tooling out in the rain during WWII, and since they weren't selling any SAAs in the '30s, why not?
Colt came out with a so-so .22 SA years after Ruger had the market with their superb Single Six - Yup.
Colt hashed up their Woodsman just when the Ruger Standard Model came along to provide a low cost quality pistol, and High Standard took over the high cost, high quality end - Yup.
Colt decided the .44 Magnum was a "fad" just when Dirty Harry made S&W's day - Could be.
Colt blew millions on the awful AA2000. Did anyone at Colt ever fire one? - Probably not.
Colt dropped their small pocket revolvers and automatics just when the CCW movement started to change laws and attitudes - The revos suffered from the same "too expensive" problems as the Python, and small DA autos were lost to Kahr in a lawsuit.
Colt dropped the SAA again, then resumed SAA production just when a zillion companies were making the same gun; talk about sailing into the wind, when a few years earlier they could have had a big chunk of the market - There's a huge market for $500 SAAs, but Colt can't sell the SAA for $500.

Majic

Yes, I am aware of the Trooper Mk III and its successors and the way they are made. I am also aware that they didn't sell well,
The number of MkIIIs (including all the models) probably equaled or came close to the number of the older action revolvers sold. It's easy to see today by looking at how many are on the used market. A very large portion of the time you hear someone mention a Trooper they are referring to a MkIII. They were on the market for 14 years and was only discontinued then because they were again upgraded.

BluesBear

Yes, I am aware of the Trooper Mk III and its successors and the way they are made. I am also aware that they didn't sell well,
Horse Hocky!

I got my first FFL when the MkIII was nearing it's tenth birthday and they were still selling at full retail faster than I could get them. That situation didn't change for then remaining twelve years I held an FFL.
I was discounting some S&W revolvers but never a Colt revolver.

jlundy46

My first duty weapon was a Trooper MK III six inch and as I remember, they were selling quite well at the time. I still have one and it is my best shooter.
John

Carlo

...in fact, John, I don't think Colt needs a *new* design, the ones they used to have still work.

Carlo

BillCA

Here's a shameful thought.

What if Colt did modify their actions considerably in order to make it less labor intensive to produce their revolvers? Would you accept a Colt that turned counter-clockwise? Or one who's internal lockwork was different?

A stainless steel Police Positive Special (4th issue) with a 3" and 5" barrel? I'd go for either of those -- or both. Especially chambered for .357 Mag.

How about a stainless Magnum Carry with your option of a 3" or 4" barrel?

They could also produce a small 9mm 1911 lightweight frame, a la the Defender that might sell well.

Any or all of these might sell fairly well and if they really took off, Colt could (re)introduce "updated" models of their guns that would appeal to shooters and collectors -- a 5" Python; a 3" Anaconda in .45 Colt/ACP or .44 Special.

BluesBear

The original Colt swingout cylinder revolvers DID turn anti-clockwise.

But there's no reason for an improved Colt not to turn clockwise.

There is no reason why Colt couldn't produce a forged frame, medium sized .357 revolver for the same price S&W can.
There is no reason why Colt couldn't produce a forged frame, large sized .44 revolver for the same price S&W can.

With modern CTC machines you COULD produce a stainless Trooper MkV that does NOT require hand fitting by a 55 year old white guy with 40 years experience at a price that COULD be competative with S&W & Ruger.
Remember that stainless guns don't need to be surface polished to pythonesque smoothness.

Carlo

However, if what one want is using a new mechanic to make a revolver that is cost effective, and looks like a classic, all it takes is touching the barrel and grip compartments. You can get an official police looking King Cobra by just a change of *makeup*.

pythobraofficial31go2.jpg

Would such a thing have a market? If there are enough classics aficionados that want a new gun to shoot without having to worry about wear, probably.

Cap

Dfariswheel

The design you've shown is nothing more than the Colt Lawman Mark III of 1969.

Colt's "been there, done that".
Most of the proposed guns shown are guns Colt's already made in years past.

The King Cobra with a Python barrel was a limited issue model made for a big distributor and known as the Colt Boa.

If I had to guess about what Colt's working on, I'd guess it'll be a medium framed, cosmetically improved version of the King Cobra, OR an improved Magnum Carry.

Whatever, it'll be designed for even faster manufacture with a minimum of hand work needed.

Carlo

Dfariswheel wrote: The design you've shown is nothing more than the Colt Lawman Mark III of 1969

If you try to dress something new like something old, you get to something in between, but the lawmans I've seen didn't have the classic stocks but the target and the ejector was thinner and closer to the barrel than the one I've drawn (because the barrel was thicker). The front sight was also different.
Be what it is, my point is that from Colt I expect a classic, even a new classic, Colt shouldn't play Ruger, first of all because it has a long tradition and if you go against your tradition customers wouldn't forget (those who want a Colt want a *Colt*). Colt created the concept of classic modern wheelgun and I suspect they started to loose the competition when they departed too much from it, and also because others were interpreting their own concept of classic in a more coherent way. Possibly there is an instance of overreacting to the market change.

Cap

Dfariswheel

Don't get me wrong, it's a good concept, just not in 2006.

The gun buying public is no longer buying 4" barreled, fixed sight revolvers, and hasn't been for years.

What the majority of the DA revolver buying public wants are 4" to 6" adjustable sighted revolvers in .357 and larger calibers.
While there are people who'd love to have a 4" fixed sight revolver, they are a small fringe of the market.

Gun makers HAVE to make guns to suit the majority of the market if they want to stay in business.

Carlo

Dfariswheel wrote: What the majority of the DA revolver buying public wants are 4" to 6" adjustable sighted revolvers in .357 and larger calibers.

I see. Even in this compartment, I hope the new gun would speak "COLT" at first sight. I sincerely believe that putting together classic look and new technology (but it has to work and work as well as the old one) may be the way to go. Possibly, making something with a medium "fit all situations-fit all hands" frame may even broaden the fans group. Something new with a Python-Diamondback look and a size closer to the latter.

diamond2ea5.jpg

BluesBear

As Dfariswheel has already mentioned, that's already been done.

The Colt Boa was a Python barrel grafted onto a Trooper MkV frame.
attachment.php

It would be very simple for Colts to produce them again using CDC technology.
The only people you have to convince are the ones at Colts.

But after you read this article you'll better understand how Colts is currently their own worst enemy.

Attachments

• Colt Boa set.jpg
    Colt Boa set.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 564

18DAI

Carlo - Not to derail my own thread, but how about a double action Colt Combat Elite 1911? Thats my "dream" pistol. Thanks! Regards 18DAI.

Mark Milton

>>>The gun buying public is no longer buying 4" barreled, fixed sight revolvers, and hasn't been for years.<<<<

Uh, yeah. I guess that is why Smith and Wesson is now up to four different variants on the Thunder Ranch special. The .44 special blue model with the logo, the same model sans logo and the nickel plated model ---and of course the .45 ACP model with the retro stocks.

I think Colt could learn a lesson from that. ...
I can almost see the advertising copy for it now....

"From the people who created the Revolver"

(Insert picture by Carlo)

Colt Manufacturing understands what makes a great wheelgun. After all, we have been making great revolvers since 1836!

You start with a heavy duty forged frame and cylinder for durabilty and balance. Add a one piece forged barrell with modernized rifling to take advantage of todays high velocity high performance loads.
Add the industry's smoothest double action trigger pull for combat accuracy, and it all adds up to a COLT!
Stop by your stocking dealer today and check out the modern classics, the Python, the Anaconda, the DS II and the King Cobra. Or enquire about our Colt Classics line like the New Millenium Service in .45 Colt, .45 ACP or .44 Magnum featuring slimmer barrell and fixed sights for rugged field use.
*All models feature a stout but smooth double action trigger for safety. No internal lock required. Cable lock available on request.
If you believe the wheelgun is the real gun, nothing satisfies like a new generation COLT!