Carrying "less" in a "good" area. Nope, no thanks.

CDW4ME

I don't understand what the difference is, good & bad. If you gotta defend yourself, it is a bad area, no matter who might say "good".

Some areas are inherently more dangerous than others, but people are mobile.

You know those that slip a LCP into pocket for a trip to store in "good" area but would carry a Glock 19 + spare mag into an area perceived as "bad".? - No thanks.

This thread is encouraging carrying the Glock 19 + spare mag everywhere, regardless of perceived risk. ;)

Dufus

This thread is encouraging carrying the Glock 19 + spare mag everywhere, regardless of perceived risk

Well, I have never owned a Glock and probably never will.

BUT, everywhere I go, good or bad (if there is such a thing) I carry 16 rounds in the gun plus an extra 16 in the spare mag. Without fail.

After thought: If someone expects an area to be good, then their guard is down, at least the way I am thinking, and when disaster springs its ugly face, it makes ugly headlines. I don't believe that there is a difference between the good & bad. Bad is everywhere, even in church where God's reverence is supposed to prevail.

Don Fischer

I pretty much avoid the bad area's. Usually big cities and I haven't lost anything in them. I carry a S&W Shield c9 pretty much everywhere. If I went to a city I'd carry my Ruger P89. Go from 8 rds to 16 rds. Prefer carrying the S&W because it's lighter, smaller and easier to hide.

CDW4ME

Well, I have never owned a Glock and probably never will.

BUT, everywhere I go, good or bad (if there is such a thing) I carry 16 rounds in the gun plus an extra 16 in the spare mag. Without fail.

After thought: If someone expects an area to be good, then their guard is down, at least the way I am thinking, and when disaster springs its ugly face, it makes ugly headlines. I don't believe that there is a difference between the good & bad. Bad is everywhere, even in church where God's reverence is supposed to prevail.

Glock 19 was just an example.
You are doing what the thread is encouraging, carrying the same regardless of location (perceived risk).

CDW4ME

No way I'm gonna be caught without my G19 and my 7 30 round magazines!

1440352346633.png

zoo

Your enemy would just have to push you in to a swimming pool or a pond, and you would drown from the weight! ;-)

This is why I also wear my Mae West whenever I leave my house in addition to seven 30 round mags for my Legend 350 AR, gloves, and galoshes for when the "mud" gets too deep.

Brit

The one major result of venturing out of your house with a concealed pistol, is you have the ability to defend yourself, all things being equal.
In today's climate of the breaking down of law and order, I use an earpiece for my cell phone communication, driving in the Jeep. Whilst out and about, blue tooth.
The 911 call? Goes unanswered! Just continues to ring! You had just locked the passenger door, your wife safe behind the locked passenger door, of the two young men who had accosted you as you stepped behind your vehicle, the one with the knife is down, curled in a ball, responding to the two 9mm bullets, you had lodged in his chest cavity from a mere 8ft! His companion has legged it.
As always backed into the parking space, key in, the engine started, pulling away. still no answer from the 911 call!
The new normal?

Shadow9mm

You are looking at it wrong. You are not carrying "less". Its about using the right tool for the right job. Its also about understanding your enviorment and situational awareness. There are situations where a g19 is over kill or unsuitable due to clothing restrictions or activities. there are also situations where a g19 with 10-33rnd mags would be inadequate. The important thing is that you carry something and be proficient with it. I regularly carry my NAA 22 mag for quick errands. If I'm running a lot of errands or will be out a while I will grab my sub compact 9 and a spare mag. If im going to me out all day or in a questionable area of town i grab my G19 and 2 spare mags. I completely avoid the bad areas of town and maintain my situational awareness and try to avoid any potential issues. I carry enough for the situation I am in.

TunnelRat

You’re assuming you’re carrying enough for the situation you’re in. You may well be right, but you may not be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CDW4ME

You are looking at it wrong. You are not carrying "less". Its about using the right tool for the right job. Its also about understanding your enviorment and situational awareness. There are situations where a g19 is over kill or unsuitable due to clothing restrictions or activities. there are also situations where a g19 with 10-33rnd mags would be inadequate. The important thing is that you carry something and be proficient with it. I regularly carry my NAA 22 mag for quick errands. If I'm running a lot of errands or will be out a while I will grab my sub compact 9 and a spare mag. If im going to me out all day or in a questionable area of town i grab my G19 and 2 spare mags. I completely avoid the bad areas of town and maintain my situational awareness and try to avoid any potential issues. I carry enough for the situation I am in.

As stated in the OP, I'm retired and can dress as I choose; A Glock 19 is easy to conceal.

Situational awareness doesn't increase or decrease based on size of pistol.

You would rather defend your life with a NAA 22 than a Glock 19 - on a quick errand? Your preference, definitely not mine.

The people in "bad areas" are mobile.

A Glock 19 is not "overkill" its a minimum, for me; the minimum I'd want in hand if I had to defend myself, regardless of location or time of day.

You say, I'm looking at it wrong.

5bf.jpg

Double K

I carry the biggest pistol my clothing will allow which often times means the lowly Ruger LCP sometimes with extra magazines. I'm not trying to save the world from violence, just myself, not necessarily trying to win a gun battle just get away to safety.

Shadow9mm

As stated in the OP, I'm retired and can dress as I choose; A Glock 19 is easy to conceal.

Situational awareness doesn't increase or decrease based on size of pistol.

You would rather defend your life with a NAA 22 than a Glock 19 - on a quick errand? Your preference, definitely not mine.

The people in "bad areas" are mobile.

A Glock 19 is not "overkill" its a minimum, for me; the minimum I'd want in hand if I had to defend myself, regardless of location or time of day.

You say, I'm looking at it wrong.

5bf.jpg
its about the right tool for the right job, would you try to take off lug nuts with a crecent wrench? Or would you tighten scope rings with a 3ft cheater bar on your allen wrench? You have to assess the risks of the area you are going to be in, or even areas to stay out of, and equip yourself accordingly. There are many areas, especially in my home town, where I don't feel I need to carry at all. Rather than not carry I grab the NAA and drop it in my pocket. And for the record, I train with the NAA. 22mag speer gold dots, which open reliably and penetrate to FBI standards are nothing to scoff at. Especially given that I can hit a gator aid bottle lid at 7yds with the gun. Just because you personally FEEL that a 15+1 9mm is the bare minimum for you, does not MAKE it the bare minimum, or MAKE it inadequate for everyone else. If you re going to start a topic of conversation i suggest you keep an open mind and try to learn why people do what they do and think what they think, vs bashing people over the head based on your personal preferences.