Carrying "less" in a "good" area. Nope, no thanks.

CDW4ME

My carry philosophy is:
Of the concealable pistols I own, carry one I would prefer in hand if I had to defend myself.
There is nowhere I would prefer to defend my life a 38 snub/LCP rather than a Glock 19/23 and I carry accordingly.

Caveat: I'm not limited by work attire, retired. :)

TailGator

I don't change pistols based on where I am going, but sometimes do based on what I am wearing. Specifically, I have a pocket pistol for circumstances when I don't expect IWB carry to work. Trying to predict threats is foolhardy, though, I agree.

TXAZ

Shouldn’t this be “Carry More in known bad areas” :) ?
(As in carry a SWAT guy with you in South Central)

Brit

The main purpose of picking a defensive pistol, it must work first time, all the time. The second, calibre is sufficient to punch into the chest cavity of a full-grown man.
As the difference in weight, between a 6 shot 9mm and a 16 round one, is not enough to beg off carrying a Glock 19 or one of the 6 or 7 capacity pistols.

CDW4ME

ME:
"Of the concealable pistols I own, carry one I would prefer in hand if I had to defend myself.
There is nowhere I would prefer to defend my life a 38 snub/LCP rather than a Glock 19/23 and I carry accordingly".

The main purpose of picking a defensive pistol, it must work first time, all the time. The second, calibre is sufficient to punch into the chest cavity of a full-grown man.
As the difference in weight, between a 6 shot 9mm and a 16 round one, is not enough to beg off carrying a Glock 19 or one of the 6 or 7 capacity pistols.

You may prefer 6 -7 rounds.

I'll stick with 16 rounds 9mm, or more likely 14 rounds 40 S&W. (+ spare mag either way ;))

bamaranger

guns

Almost any gun is better than no gun.....and I'd rather have a snub or a .380 than a sharp stick as they say.

But I tend to carry a serious pistol 99% the time.

TunnelRat

I tend to carry the same thing wherever I go. The only time that differs is if my clothing has to differ. I’m fortunate enough that I don’t have to go into what I would consider a “bad area” and I tend to avoid known problem areas if possible. That being said, what one person does or doesn’t choose to carry is on him/her. If someone thinks a 5 shot J frame is enough that’s on them. Unless that person’s carry choices have a direct impact on my safety, it’s really not my concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CDW4ME

Carry whatever one wants. Even a 22LR. I carry a Glock AND a NAA, Kel Tec, or Beretta.

I have a Kahr PM9 in weak hand front pocket to go with the Glock thats IWB.
But, in this thread the focus is on primary pistol and carrying what one would in a "bad" area in the "good" areas too. ;) (Keep it simple, one thing at a time)

raimius

Personally, I go with the smallest 9mm pistol I can get a full grip on. That works out to the small "compact" or large "subcompact" range. G43x with 15 round mags fits the bill, and with that capacity, it's not much of a tradeoff from much larger pistols.

Onward Allusion

But, in this thread the focus is on primary pistol and carrying what one would in a "bad" area in the "good" areas too. (Keep it simple, one thing at a time)

True enough. There have been times where if I knew that I would be going through a bad area, that I have a full size Glock and a few sticks of 33 rounders in a sling pack.

peacefulgary

Small .380 autos, and small .38 Special revolvers, and small 9mm handguns, and small .32 handguns are popular for a very good reason:
They are usually effective for self defense, and they are easy to carry as well.

Why stop at a Glock 19?
Why not a Glock 17?
You get increased mag capacity for a modestly larger pistol.

True enough. There have been times where if I knew that I would be going through a bad area, that I have a full size Glock and a few sticks of 33 rounders in a sling pack.
This is the very definition of bad tactics.

If you simply MUST travel through such a dangerous area, you don't carry extra ammo...
You bring extra friends!

If I felt that I NEEDED an extra few 33 round mags, instead I would bring eight or ten armed veteran brothers with me.

Brit

Personally, I go with the smallest 9mm pistol I can get a full grip on. That works out to the small "compact" or large "subcompact" range. G43x with 15 round mags fits the bill, and with that capacity, it's not much of a tradeoff from much larger pistols.
I ordered my 43X with Ameriglo night sights, from the factory. As a G licensed Security Officer, I get LEO prices. I noticed the rear sight was exactly in the centre of the slide!
All precious aftermarket night sights I had installed, had to be a touch to the right?
Ameriglo makes these sights expressly for Glock. This combo shot right at the point of aim.

CDW4ME

Small .380 autos, and small .38 Special revolvers, and small 9mm handguns, and small .32 handguns are popular for a very good reason:
They are usually effective for self defense, and they are easy to carry as well.

Why stop at a Glock 19?
Why not a Glock 17?
You get increased mag capacity for a modestly larger pistol.

When I was limited by work attire a pocket 380 was sometimes the "best I could do" - thankfully work attire is no longer a factor.

Glock 23 is my minimum, is concealed either strong side IWB or AIWB.
Pictured is Glock 23 wearing "summer attire" and it doesn't print even if I'm seated.
A shirt with stripe, or pattern helps break a slight bulge compared versus a solid color.
index.php

Glock 22 and 35 have the same grip length, pictured is the 35.
Forward cant helps keep grip from printing when seated, as seen with Glock 23 in 1st pic.
In summer I wear a a-frame / tank underneith rather than a t-shirt (mercifully pictured) add cover shirt and the "big" Glock disappears.
index.php

Dufus

I don't understand what the difference is, good & bad. If you gotta defend yourself, it is a bad area, no matter who might say "good".